Flat bar on road bike - possible?

Old April 20th 04, 07:08 PM
Ken Ferschweiler

Default Flat bar on road bike - possible?

Me ) wrote:

: Thanks for the quick and informative reply. My wife's bike is an old Trek -
: my guess is around 10 years old. Has Suntour Superbe single pivot brakes
: and Shimano 400 rear der - 7 speed, I think. Double up front. On a related
: topic, her reason for switching is that with the current brakes, she is not
: getting enough leverage to brake properly. Without going to STI, will
: replacing the brake levers and brakes to dual pivot give her more leverage?
: Thanks again.

Hi Steve,

If you're interested in selling the old brakes, I'd be
interested in buying them.

-Ken

Old April 20th 04, 07:40 PM
Erik Brooks

Has Suntour Superbe single pivot brakes
On a related
topic, her reason for switching is that with the current brakes, she is not
getting enough leverage to brake properly. Without going to STI, will
replacing the brake levers and brakes to dual pivot give her more leverage?
Thanks again.

Steve

I just got a 20 year old bike with Suntour Sprint (Superbe's little
brother) single pivot brakes, possibly with original pads. I changed
only the levers to the Shimano Aero levers that Sheldon recommends.
The brake feel and function is now really really good. Much lower
hand effort required, especially when braking with your hands on the
hoods, as I usually do.

This cost me $40 for the levers and cables, and $10 for new bar tape.
Money well spent.

Erik

PS, These brake levers come with a little grey plastic bit inside the
lever that rattles. After hearing from others that it has no
function, I took it out of each side and the rattles stopped.