ever felt threatened (by peds)?

Old July 24th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joshben

Default ever felt threatened (by peds)?

first, the obligatory, 'tried the search function, but didn't find
anything' spiel...

I'm a part-time unicycle commuter, riding about 11mi each way one day a
week to work (FWIW, i go by bicycle the other 4 days). Nearly every
time i ride, i receive positive reactions from motorists, pedestrians,
and other passers-by (to the point where it's almost bothersome). A
few times, though, i've been heckled by passers-by, usually teenage
pedestrians. Once, last week, a bunch of kids (perhaps 12-13 yr olds)
saw me coming down the street, and as i passed by, started running
alongside me...i think it was just in fun and all, but i sped up
anyways, and a couple still were able to keep up for perhaps 100yds on
a slight uphill, with me going all out (i was a little tired).

I'm not sure these kids who were chasing me meant it as a threat of any
sort, but i couldn't help but feel threatened by being flanked by them
as i tried to outrun them.

Actually i guess i wouldn't be worried at all if it weren't for the few
other positively hostile, but merely verbal, reactions received from
others (perhaps 14-15 yrs old). The two that i can remember
specifically were "boy, i kick that, you going down," and "you go get
'em...circus clown faggot."

Does anyone else ever receive any hostility, verbal or otherwise, from
passers-by? Do you worry about it? Am i just being paranoid?

--
joshben
Old July 24th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

From my experience, teenagers are usually the worst as far as comments
go. You shouldn't feel threatened though, they are just poking fun at
you and trying to look cool in front of their friends. Sometimes it is
older people too, because a lot of people never leave that high
school/college mentality. The worst experience I ever get with younger
kids is them yelling things at me, whereas the worst experience I have
had with college kids is someone trying to drive me off the road.

I'd be far more afraid of idiots on the road who don't pay attention to
crosswalks, or assholes who try to drive you off the road than young
kids being kids. Although, it is funny sometimes if you are unicycling
past a group of kids and they yell stuff at you to simply get off your
unicycle and talk to them. I do the same thing with cars who beep at
me if they come to a stoplight. Stopping to talk to them makes them
usually makes them feel embarassed.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old July 24th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mr_charm

siafirede wrote:
Although, it is funny sometimes if you are unicycling past a group of
kids and they yell stuff at you to simply get off your unicycle and
talk to them. I do the same thing with cars who beep at me if they come
to a stoplight. Stopping to talk to them makes them usually makes them
feel embarassed.

Good advice! I'll try this next time I'm been heckled by pesky kids!

--
mr_charm

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" 'William
Shakespeare' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
Old July 24th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

mr_charm wrote:
Good advice! I'll try this next time I'm been heckled by pesky kids!

Don't do it in a condescending or angry tone, just simply go up and say
"Oh hey, whats up?" Most of the time they will either just not say
anything or just say "hey man were were just joking" and you can sort
of laugh it off. You have to realize that you do look ridiculous, and
need to be able to laugh at yourself. Most of the time, stopping and
talking to whoever yells viscious things at you makes them turn really
shy and embarassed, and the other times you just laugh it off with
them.

Or for cars, you knock on their window and ask "How are you today?
What were you honking about?" Taking a polite tone with angry
motorists is usually funnier to me than being angry. The smile and
wave seems like it trumps the middle finger nowadays.

Old July 24th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

I've had people talk sh*t on me with a group of their buddies multiple
times. Every time they talk smack I just walk up to them and they act
like they were just kidding. This is not me trying to act tough, it's
just everyone in my city talks all big but won't ever back it up.

Haha the best one was when a biker wanted to ride my uni, and I just
blew him off b/c he was a d-bag. As I was walking away he started
talking mad sh*t, I said "what?" and walked toward him. He acted like
he didn't say anything and once I was fully out of the skatepark he
said, "f*** off fag" then he took off across the skatepark. I haven't
seen him since

--
The UniSLAB

Spoonthumb wrote:
Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

Old July 24th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

So what you are saying is that macing them is out of the question? Just
kidding. I do find that the young kids will respond if you ask them if
they want to try it and talk with them a few minutes. It works real
well with skaters in my area.

--
rem48
Old July 24th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mr_charm

siafirede wrote:
Don't do it in a condescending or angry tone, just simply go up and say
"Oh hey, whats up?"

Yes of course! Thats why I like it, I've been trying to think of a
non-offensive way for them to stop trying to make me fail. I can't
believe I never thought to just talk to them!

Old July 24th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchickenIV

siafirede wrote:
Or for cars, you knock on their window and ask "How are you today?

Or: "Hot inside, is it?"

--
goldenchickenIV
Old July 24th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

siafirede wrote:
Although, it is funny sometimes if you are unicycling past a group of
kids and they yell stuff at you to simply get off your unicycle and
talk to them.

Justs don't do that if they genualy are agressive, i did that once and
the bloke through a punch. (i managed to dodge and counter but
still)

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
Old July 24th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

hahaha.. I'm on the observedtrials.net forums, and the guy did the one
thing like 'use the search function'. sheesh, lol...

--
unibikeling

'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

beeper wrote: