Water off a Duck's Back

Old August 23rd 11, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Water off a Duck's Back

"There are very many joys associated with bicycling, but getting wet is not
one of them. Only masochists enjoy cycling in the rain - Lance Armstrong
once said that he liked riding in poor weather because he knew his rivals
hated it. Well, I'm not a Tour de France cyclist and I'm not ashamed to say
it gives me no pleasure at all to arrive at my destination as damp as a
dishcloth.

Given my aversion to public transport, however, I do very often have to ride
in the rain. And when I do, I want to have a coat that will keep me dry and
look nice."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ks-back-review

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old August 23rd 11, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Lewis

I want to have a coat that will keep me dry and look nice

http://www.wateroffaducksback.co.uk/...-coat-28-p.asp

Given that rain implies cloud implies low light, Black and Navy Blue
colour options are contrary to Highway Code 59:

"You should wear light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps
other road users to see you in daylight and poor light"

Designers should consider more literal approach:

http://www.akrondesign.com/Animal&Fruit/AnimalPages/Duck%20$55.html

Allover windchill protection including mitten gloves. Tights prevent
chain interaction. Webbed shoes give confidence with deep puddles. No
one can say they didn't see you.

--
Mark Lewis, North Somerset
Old August 23rd 11, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Aug 23, 2:33*pm, Mark Lewis wrote:
I want to have a coat that will keep me dry and look nice

http://www.wateroffaducksback.co.uk/...-coat-28-p.asp

Given that rain implies cloud implies low light, Black and Navy Blue
colour options are contrary to Highway Code 59:

"You should wear light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps
other road users to see you in daylight and poor light"

Personally I never rely on passive devices like hi-vis and reflectives
(although I often wear them) as they depend on a light source to be
any good.
I have very bright flashing lights on 24/7 front and rear.

--
Simon Mason
Old August 23rd 11, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:49:35 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"There are very many joys associated with bicycling, but getting wet is not
one of them. Only masochists enjoy cycling in the rain - Lance Armstrong
once said that he liked riding in poor weather because he knew his rivals
hated it. Well, I'm not a Tour de France cyclist and I'm not ashamed to say
it gives me no pleasure at all to arrive at my destination as damp as a
dishcloth.

Given my aversion to public transport, however, I do very often have to ride
in the rain. And when I do, I want to have a coat that will keep me dry and
look nice."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ks-back-review

Yes - I bet you look a bugger in a lady's mackintosh

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.