Trek folding bikes: Experiences?

Old July 15th 05, 06:33 AM

Default Trek folding bikes: Experiences?

Anyone out there own a Trek folder - the F-100, F-400 or F-600? How do
you like it?

My test rides tell me it's reasonably well done, although I'd prefer
more cockpit room. I've found only one review online, and it sounds
good. I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

I'm a little concerned about the gear range on the F-100, for longer
rides. OTOH, the wider range gears on the F-400 & F-600 use SRAM
hardware, and I wonder about long term availability.

But overall, my first impression is good. I'd like to know what others
have found.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 15th 05, 09:07 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon:

http://www.dahon.com/forum/lofiversi...php?t1166.html

Old July 15th 05, 09:14 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:07:35 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m wrote:

I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon:

And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested as well.
The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been low-end ones.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
- Earl Blumenauer
Old July 15th 05, 09:40 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Guy wrote:

All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon

And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested
as well. The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been
low-end ones.

And there's the problem.

Old July 15th 05, 09:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:40:32 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m wrote:

All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon

And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested
as well. The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been
low-end ones.

And there's the problem.

Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton :-D

Guy

Old July 16th 05, 10:07 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Guy wrote:

The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been low-end ones.

And there's the problem.

Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

Old July 16th 05, 12:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 02:07:49 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m wrote:

The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been low-end ones.
And there's the problem.

Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

I wasn't aware I needed a special reason to be interested in folding
bikes or any particular discussion of them on Usenet.

Guy

Old July 16th 05, 04:07 PM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton :-D

I have some Bromptons, but I find myself riding the Dahon Speed TR more
and more, as it has a much wider gearing range, and is a more
comfortable ride. I used to Bromp around San Francisco, but on a 3
speed Brompton this meant that the steepest hills were not rideable, so
I had to plan the route to go around them, or walk. And while the newer
Bromptons are fine in terms of braking, the older ones were notoriously
bad, and it was terrifying to go down steep, bumpy roads on them.

The Brompton is unbeatable for taking on the bus or train, but the
high-end Dahon's are much better for long rides, or rides with hills.
To equip a Brompton with a very wide gear range would cost a lot, as
you need to install the Florian Schlumpf Mountain Drive
("http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm").

For a disassembleable bicycle, rather than a folder, the Gaerlan gt20
beats anything from Dahon, or Bike Friday,
("http://gaerlan.com/bikes/gotravel/gotravel.htm").

For a bus/train bike that is less expensive than the Brompton, but
still has a "Bromptonesque" ride, the KHS cappuccino is a good choice,
but it lacks the elegance of the Brompton in terms of folding and
accessories, and is much larger when folded (30" x 23" x 15"; versus
22x21x10 for the Brompton).

Old July 16th 05, 04:10 PM

LioNiNoiL wrote:

And there's the problem.

This is true, there is a world of difference between the low-end and
high-end Dahon's. I expect that the Trek/Dahon's are strictly high end.

I've ridden older, lower-end Dahon's, and they are indeed not great.

Bikes With Short Top Tubes and High Front Ends - WAS:Interpreting Serotta Fit Cycle Data For Other Manufacturers? itsfred General 6 April 4th 05 10:28 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Lightweight Folding Electric Bikes Electric Bikes Direct UK 12 April 18th 04 07:24 PM
trek bikes dailuggs UK 8 February 12th 04 12:35 PM
Advice on Folding Bikes marc_9 Australia 10 December 10th 03 01:30 AM