Truing Stand

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 8th 21, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Truing Stand

On 2021-06-07, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/6/2021 10:08 PM, jbeattie wrote:

It was hard to screw-up 120mm/36 spoke wheels on SC Mod 52 or other robust rims of the era.

Apart from instruction from a friend and shop owner and the Wright pamphlet and later Jobst's book (which I bought at Cupertino Bike Shop immediately after its release), practically all my cohorts built wheels -- and we all hung out at the same shop owned by Mr. Wheel Guru, who ran twice-weekly shop rides (races) -- and half of them worked for brand-new Specialized Bicycle Components and lived and breathed bike stuff. I knew Phil Wood (his son was a friend), so that's the direction I went after probably '75/6, although I had some racing wheels with Campy hubs Anyway, wheel building was a thing back then -- as it was on this NG during Jobst's tenure. Now is wheels in a box. Things change.

And I'll bet that "wheels in a box" came about largely due to the
development of automated wheel building machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITEQLn8SUE

Thank God for engineers!

Peter White of Peter White cycles is still building wheels and I'm sure our
Mr. Muzi gets to go home and lace a rim or three while watching TV once in
awhile (that's why my bike shop owning friend said he used to do).

Now I feel like taking a spare front wheel down, taking it apart and
building it, just for fun.

pH

I haven't built a wheel outside the shop since the day I
started working here. And I don't own a television.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

truing stand daddy Mountain Biking 11 July 14th 07 03:38 AM
looking for a truing stand! ilosttheotherwheel Unicycling 16 October 18th 06 03:17 AM
Truing Park TS2 Truing Stand? Paul Kopit Techniques 5 August 3rd 05 01:56 PM
Work stand, truing stand and tool kit for $350 chris c General 18 April 30th 05 11:18 AM
FS-Old TS-2 truing stand Qui si parla Campagnolo Marketplace 3 November 21st 04 02:52 PM