My first race Criterium

Old August 24th 04, 11:11 AM
David Thompson

Default My first race Criterium

I will be entering my first race soon but wanted to ask a question or 2.
With the Criterium races, say for example a 1 hour race, plus 3 laps.
Well what sort of pace is set at the start for A graders ?
What speed do they sit on for most of the race, and at what point is the
pace put up a notch or two.

Also how do you keep track of your position on the circuit, how do you know
who is the leader.

And what average speed would be had at the end of this race for A graders ?
Thanks for any feedback.
David

Old August 24th 04, 01:50 PM
flyingdutch

David Thompson Wrote:
I will be entering my first race soon but wanted to ask a question or 2
With the Criterium races, say for example a 1 hour race, plus 3 laps
Well what sort of pace is set at the start for A graders
What speed do they sit on for most of the race, and at what point i
th
pace put up a notch or two

Also how do you keep track of your position on the circuit, how do yo
kno
who is the leader

And what average speed would be had at the end of this race for
graders
Thanks for any feedback
David

you jumpin in at the pointy end?

refer to my first race post. Mine was Dgrade but I was as wide-eye
back then as it appears you are now...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t99707.html

and a subsequent race...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t101952.htm

--
flyingdutc

Old August 25th 04, 12:29 AM
ritcho

David Thompson Wrote:
I will be entering my first race soon but wanted to ask a question o
2.
With the Criterium races, say for example a 1 hour race, plus 3 laps.
Well what sort of pace is set at the start for A graders ?
What speed do they sit on for most of the race, and at what point i
the
pace put up a notch or two.

Also how do you keep track of your position on the circuit, how do yo
know
who is the leader.

And what average speed would be had at the end of this race for
graders ?
Thanks for any feedback.
David

A graders average somewhere near 40km/h, give or take on a flattis
course. This means they are really stomping when they turn it on
(trust me)

From my limited experience, the pace picks up around half-way, but i
varies a lot - there isn't really a timetable. If you're fast enough t
start off in A-grade, you might as well just turn up and see fo
yourself - good luck

Ritch (who blew up trying to stay in the break in A/B combined... :

--
ritcho

Old August 25th 04, 02:12 AM
Shabby

I've done plenty of C grade crits at Glenvale where the average spee
was 42-43kph average, but there were sustained periods above 50kph. I
you've never done a crit before you won't have the fitness or bik
handling skills to race A grade. Start at the bottom, and if you'r
too good they'll quickly put you up

--
Shabby

Old August 25th 04, 03:29 AM
The Dubliner

David Thompson Wrote:

Also how do you keep track of your position on the circuit, how do yo
know
who is the leader.

Don't worry David. If you get blown out the back, which I'm sure yo
will if this is your first crit, you'll know your position on th
track, and whose leading won't matter.

Get in there and have a good go at it though

--
The Dubliner

Old August 25th 04, 02:29 PM
Roadie_scum

David Thompson Wrote:
I will be entering my first race soon but wanted to ask a question o
2.
With the Criterium races, say for example a 1 hour race, plus 3 laps.
Well what sort of pace is set at the start for A graders ?
What speed do they sit on for most of the race, and at what point i
the
pace put up a notch or two.

Also how do you keep track of your position on the circuit, how do yo
know
who is the leader.

And what average speed would be had at the end of this race for
graders ?
Thanks for any feedback.
David

Who could forget Johnny Clark and Will Walker averaging 54km/h fo
twenty minutes as they lapped A grade at Glenvale???

A grade on a flat smooth circuit will average over 45km/h if the rac
is fast, with extended periods over 55km/h and some above 60km/h

--
Roadie_scum

Old August 26th 04, 12:28 AM
ritcho

Roadie_scum Wrote:
Who could forget Johnny Clark and Will Walker averaging 54km/h for
twenty minutes as they lapped A grade at Glenvale???

A grade on a flat smooth circuit will average over 45km/h if the race
is fast, with extended periods over 55km/h and some above 60km/h.

45?? blimey! I guess Glenvale is pretty flat (?) My guess of around 40
was based on the speeds around Oakville (NW of Sydney): a 7km loop with
a 1km mildly uphill drag and some little bumps.

Ritch

PS. I'm not doubting you, I'm shaking my head in wonder

--
ritcho

Old August 26th 04, 08:44 AM
Roadie_scum

ritcho Wrote:
45?? blimey! I guess Glenvale is pretty flat (?) My guess of around 4
was based on the speeds around Oakville (NW of Sydney): a 7km loop wit
a 1km mildly uphill drag and some little bumps.

Ritch

PS. I'm not doubting you, I'm shaking my head in wonder

Yeah, it's very flat, smooth, and generally sheltered from the wind. I
also gets very strong fields in summer. It was impressive when we ha
Baden Cooke and Matt Wilson (FDJeaux), Jeremy Hunt (Oktos), Hilto
Clarke (ex-Barloworld), Johnny Clarke and Will Walker (AIS U/21), Tren
Lowe (Mapei MTB squad), Rob Crowe (ex-Barcelona olympian) and Rober
Tighello (ex-national champ). There were a host of other classy rider
including junior and senior level national squad members and champions
When it's like that, it's not slow! A lot of riders use the races a
prep for the bay crits.

The thing that kills me, is we get these amazing fields, and have s
many good riders, yet the prize money and organisation is so averag
compared to the US. We have as good or better riders (look at Dom Gatt
- spends two months in the US without a team ride and wins Fitschbur
crit!), but little sponsorship, no team riding (FdJeaux-NSWIS, MGZT an
Choice Capital excepted) and average prize money. Sob.

37-40km/h is about what A grade averages in an undulating-hilly roa
race of 100km or more in my experience. A flat road race will often b
44km/h+. The sky's the limit for crits if there is a strong an
aggresive field

--
Roadie_scum

Old August 29th 04, 12:47 AM
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

ritcho writes:

[...]

45?? blimey! I guess Glenvale is pretty flat (?) My guess of around 40
was based on the speeds around Oakville (NW of Sydney): a 7km loop with
a 1km mildly uphill drag and some little bumps.

I was riding up that way last weekend, (the 22nd) with Camwest. Our
route overlapped with the start of the race so I breafly discovered
how fast a paleton goes (ie alot faster then I can even hope for on my
bike).

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

Women Racers Needed: Smethport, PA 53 Mile race 9/24/2005 [email protected] Racing 12 September 16th 05 03:02 AM
ET Tu Antoni [email protected] Racing 1 September 25th 04 09:35 PM
Suncoast Sundown Criterium Venice, Florida May 8, 2004 Jean Andre Vallery Racing 0 February 10th 04 06:10 PM
Armstrong To Race Tour of Georgia Time Cop Racing 8 January 30th 04 09:01 PM
Why OR is getting 500 ccx riders-A halloween Race report Candi Murray Racing 1 November 5th 03 08:27 PM