Avg Speeds in Criterium/Road races

Old September 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
dgarry

Default Avg Speeds in Criterium/Road races

Hi all..
I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
Thanks,
David

--
dgarry

Old September 23rd 05, 02:20 AM
Jono L

dgarry Wrote:
Hi all..
I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
Thanks,
DavidG'day, i'm a Hawthorn regular and our crits are pretty tough (well, i

think so!) I've done alot of D grade races but this winter i've jumped
to C and now B.
D Grade average around 33-35k's, C Grade around 35-36k's, B Grade
around 37-40k's and A grade is 40+. Regardless of average speeds your
ability to respond to attacks and your placement in the bunch will
really determine how hard the race is for you.

Start in D Grade and seee how you go

Good luck.

--
Jono L

Old September 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
GPLama

"dgarry" wrote in message...

Hi all..
I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
Thanks,
David

David,

Speeds are relative on course, conditions, field, etc. So there will never
be an accurate estimate (or even a ballpark figure) that will answer this
one. I would recommend doing a few training rides with people who are of
various grade levels, make sure these rides are not just recovery pace and
include hills/terrain similar to where you are looking at racing... You'll
soon be able to judge your level and enter the corresponding grade.

Again, disclaimers: this depends on your bunch skills, if you've only ever
ridden alone then sitting on the back of D might be in order.. if you end up
entering D find yourself a stronger rider than the bunch.. go on to take the
win!!.. then enter C grade next time... (and repeat)..

Going on your 'details' you are located in Melbourne (and work for a large
bank).. if this is correct, then come along to the BR, we cater for all
levels*... some info on Kew crits:

There is a hair pin.. there is a hill.. the rest of the course is great!..
the estimates for this course alone..D grade are low 30's, C mid 30's, B
high 30's.. again, the higher the level the more frequent and harder surges
are in the race...

my 2c... (damn I really have to get some work done today, I've been flat
out causing trouble posting ****e!)..

cheers,
GPL
:* known to sort out some riders in the first few 'neutral' kms:

Old September 23rd 05, 03:00 AM
flyingdutch

dgarry Wrote:
Hi all..
I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
Thanks,
David

Hey dgarry

come join the HCC crew

hawthorncycling.org

$25 and you can have a go at the Wed night crits and see if loike it

--
flyingdutch

Old September 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
dgarry

I was originally going to sign up with HCC when I was living in Kew but
I live in Elwood now so it looks like I'm going to sign up with SKCC..
HCC does seem like it's well organised and it seems to have quite a few
events organised .. Might yet change my mind..

Old September 23rd 05, 03:38 AM
dej

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

dgarry Wrote:
Hi all..
I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
Thanks,
David

Hey dgarry

come join the HCC crew

hawthorncycling.org

$25 and you can have a go at the Wed night crits and see if loike it

--
flyingdutch

slightly off topic,
but does the CA licenses run for a calendar year or?? ie, if i get one now,
will it run out at the end of the year or this time 2006?
i wont be able to do any kew racing this year (not that i was any good in
the first place ) so i'll need a CA license to race elsewhere..

Old September 23rd 05, 03:44 AM
GPLama

"dej" wrote in message...

but does the CA licenses run for a calendar year or?? ie, if i get one
now, will it run out at the end of the year or this time 2006?
i wont be able to do any kew racing this year (not that i was any good in
the first place ) so i'll need a CA license to race elsewhere..

Having just got mine about 2hrs ago, I was told that they were per calendar
year.. I got a 6 month one ($100) that I will have to renew for Jan '06..
screw the cost of fuel - $100 for 3 months - bloody hell!

cheers,
GPL
:racing llama:

Old September 23rd 05, 03:54 AM
Jono L

GPLama Wrote:
"dej" wrote in message...

but does the CA licenses run for a calendar year or?? ie, if i get

one
now, will it run out at the end of the year or this time 2006?
i wont be able to do any kew racing this year (not that i was any

good in
the first place ) so i'll need a CA license to race elsewhere..

Having just got mine about 2hrs ago, I was told that they were per
calendar
year.. I got a 6 month one ($100) that I will have to renew for Jan
'06..
screw the cost of fuel - $100 for 3 months - bloody hell!

cheers,
GPL
:racing llama:lama= shane m, right?

--
Jono L

Old September 23rd 05, 04:03 AM
GPLama

"dgarry" wrote in message ...

I was originally going to sign up with HCC when I was living in Kew but
I live in Elwood now so it looks like I'm going to sign up with SKCC..
HCC does seem like it's well organised and it seems to have quite a few
events organised .. Might yet change my mind..

Bert
Now over to Moria who is with GPL today..
/Bert

I've been a member of HCC since the start of the year and can highly
recommend becoming an active member. Not only are there regular events and
training rides, the HCC bunch are all very friendly and welcoming of new
members.

cheers,
GPL

Old September 23rd 05, 04:18 AM
GPLama

"Jono L" wrote in message ...

cheers,
GPL
:racing llama:lama= shane m, right?

OMG cover blown... umm.. ummm... look over there *points*... :changing in to
a dress as disguise:

On that note.. I wonder how much you'd have to pay someone to do the 1/20
ITT in a dress? Surly thats a 2min time bonus?

cheers,
GPL