truing stand

Old July 1st 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default truing stand

"daddy" wrote in message
news
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

I'm still building wheels with an upside down bicycle.

Greg
--
Ticket******* tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Old July 1st 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

any good links on the "how to's?"

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

TIA

Daddy
Old July 1st 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
D T W .../\\...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Old July 2nd 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

G.T. wrote:

I'm still building wheels with an upside down bicycle.

That's one big-ass, cumbersome spoke wrench!

Old July 2nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Booker C. Bense[_40_]

In article ,
daddy wrote:
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

_ You don't really need a truing stand, but if you are going to
splurge, the Park one is nice and sturdy. I tried the minoru ones
and while they do work, I found getting the offset correct for
rear wheels difficult. Do invest in a good set of spoke wrenches,
don't try building wheels with those cheesy round all-in-one
spoke wrenchs.

any good links on the "how to's?"

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

- See Sheldon Brown's excellent tutorial on the subject.

google sheldon brown wheelbuilding

Building good wheels is actually pretty easy if you take your
time.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old July 3rd 07, 06:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Booker C. Bense wrote:
In article ,
daddy wrote:
[...]

I have a junky old Minaura (sp?) stand that was cheap and works great.
I eventually picked up a dishing tool for $5 at a swap meet. The Park
spoke wrenches are nice too.

Shawn
Old July 4th 07, 11:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Roberto Baggio

"D T W .../\..." wrote in message

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
--

That's definitely a great place to start.

I have a Park TS-2, and it is definitely worth the money. Whatever you get,
mount it onto a solid, heavy base. That will keep the stand from moving
around. You need to align the stand, and an OK way of doing it is to get a
known good wheel and use it as a reference.

Try building a wheel. What you could do for starters is replace an existing
rim with the same rim. Use the old spokes and nipples. Cost is only that
of a new rim. Or you could dismantle and put back together an old rim.

Figure out the lacing from the link above. Thread each nipple down the same
amount, then learn to be patient about going around and tightening each
nipple the same amount until you start to get tension. After that, you
tension down and check both the dishing (radial too). Use another good
wheel as a reference point for tension. Remember that the tension is
greater on one side than the other for some wheels (such as rear wheels and
disc brake front wheels). Also remember that the dish isn't always the
same; some bikes require an offset, while others require none.

Old July 10th 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Michael Dart

daddy wrote:
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build.
Any recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

any good links on the "how to's?"

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to
learn how to build your own....

TIA

Daddy

You can use your bike...uncomfortable. Or use a truing stand...much better.
I have a TS-2 and build a fair amount of wheels for myself and my friends.
Wheelbuilding for me is an "In the moment." or "Zen" experience. I've been
doing it for ten years and still find it rewarding and relaxing, and a good
source of free beer!

I really like the Spokey Spoke wrench as it grips the nipple on three
corners. It's cheap too at about $9 US. I really want the DT $50 pro model
but I'm easily distracted by shiny objects.

Sheldon brown is a good source for free info. I've found the wheel
building chapter in Lennard Zinn's book to be easy to follow. If you want
the rocket science info get "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.

As you lace the wheel slide your thumbnail up each spoke until it contacts
the threads and screw the nipple down until it touches it. A nipple driver
is a cool tool to have for this but again not necessary. This sets your
starting point. I've tried linseed oil to lube the threads and have settled
on Wheelsmith spoke prep as the best. I know it's a wheel builder's crutch
but I'm a gimp anyway. Put just a drop of oil at each eyelet where the
nipple comes through.

Then put the wheel in the truing stand and starting at the valve hole turn
each nipple 1/2 turn at a time to build tension keeping the wheel laterally
and radially true as you go. This saves a bunch of work and hassle later
trying to true the wheel. I usually run about 110 to 120 kgf (Kilograms of
force) on the drive side of rear wheels or the disc side of front wheels.
You can use a tensiometer or pluck the spokes and gauge tension by tone
(compare to a good wheel).

Stress relieve the wheels as Jobst or Sheldon prescribe and final true and
tension.

Go ride!!!

Mike

Old July 13th 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gazza

daddy wrote:

I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

any good links on the "how to's?"

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

TIA

Daddy

I use my turbo trainer and a couple of plastic tubes as spacers to pack out
the QR with L shape cutout from a plastic bottle filled with heavy tools
sat on the table I use to move up to the rim to check for trueness.

Don't do many wheels though so didn't want to spend any money on it. Works
OK for me.

Old July 13th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Jul 1, 7:19 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
G.T. wrote:
I'm still building wheels with an upside down bicycle.

That's one big-ass, cumbersome spoke wrench!

Hee hee hee!

/s

Yay!