Hope m4's

Old August 31st 04, 08:43 AM
pauline burlison

Default Hope m4's

Simple questions are the best so here's one.

I have been riding with hope m4's for about 2 years now and for the past few
months The brakes have been making a squeeling noise, so I thought, Yep,
it's finally time to get new pads. So i twaddled along to my nearest dealer
and got some hoping this would solve my problem. And yes u guessed it, it
did! (but only for about 10 mins) the squeel is now back. I have cleaned
the discs and even resauted to boling them in degreaser to remove any oil
but alas the squeel is still there. I have been advised to use a different
pad compound and so I have. The ones I took off were standard hopes and the
new ones are hopes sinted pads, so i dont think its that. Any ideas folks?

Old August 31st 04, 01:37 PM
Zilla

pauline burlison wrote:
Simple questions are the best so here's one.

I have been riding with hope m4's for about 2 years now and for the
past few months The brakes have been making a squeeling noise, so I
thought, Yep, it's finally time to get new pads. So i twaddled along
to my nearest dealer and got some hoping this would solve my problem.
And yes u guessed it, it did! (but only for about 10 mins) the squeel
is now back. I have cleaned the discs and even resauted to boling
them in degreaser to remove any oil but alas the squeel is still
there. I have been advised to use a different pad compound and so I
have. The ones I took off were standard hopes and the new ones are
hopes sinted pads, so i dont think its that. Any ideas folks?

Do they squeal when engaged or disengaged?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old August 31st 04, 09:39 PM
Urs Weder

pauline burlison wrote:
Simple questions are the best so here's one.

I have been riding with hope m4's for about 2 years now and for the past few
months The brakes have been making a squeeling noise, so I thought, Yep,
it's finally time to get new pads. So i twaddled along to my nearest dealer
and got some hoping this would solve my problem. And yes u guessed it, it
did! (but only for about 10 mins) the squeel is now back. I have cleaned
the discs and even resauted to boling them in degreaser to remove any oil
but alas the squeel is still there. I have been advised to use a different
pad compound and so I have. The ones I took off were standard hopes and the
new ones are hopes sinted pads, so i dont think its that. Any ideas folks?

I use hope disc brakes also. I have a cannodale free rider with a rigid
fork (don't know its name). I have also a other bike with a Rockshox
fork. After riding the bike with Rockshox fork for about 5 months it
started squeeling. I found that the fork bearing on the left side was
worn out (side of disc brake). After replacement of that bearing the
squeling was gone.

The cannondale is about 6 years old and squeeles very seldom. Only when
first applying the brake with a wet disc.

My conclusion: A big factor for a squeeling disc brake is how rigid it
is mounted.

Greetings, Urs

--
+-------------------------
| Urs Weder
| N 47°23'23" E 9°39'47"
+-------------------------
( modify address for return email )
Old September 2nd 04, 04:44 AM
ZeeExSixAre

My conclusion: A big factor for a squeeling disc brake is how rigid it
is mounted.

You're partly correct. The factor is often how rigid the pad is mounted in
the caliper.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tour of Hope Donations Brian E General 0 August 12th 04 12:24 AM
Tour of Hope - Washington DC Ride - LAF fundraising Lance Griffin Social Issues 0 August 9th 04 08:34 PM