Use of insulin in sport

Old August 19th 04, 01:09 AM

Default Use of insulin in sport

I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

This year the Olympics have insulin banned; as it is a performance related
enhancement.

Old August 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Alan

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:09:48 GMT, "Default"
wrote:

I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

This year the Olympics have insulin banned; as it is a performance related
enhancement.

I suspect you may find that does not apply to diagnosed diabetics. Ask
Gary Hall.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...diabetes_x.htm

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
Old August 19th 04, 02:08 AM
Mack©®

wrote:

I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

This year the Olympics have insulin banned; as it is a performance related
enhancement.

it's band for non-diabetics as it should be.

Mâck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

....Theodore Roosevelt

Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

NO C-heney
NO A-shcroft
NO R-umsfeld or Rice
NO B-ush
Old August 19th 04, 09:50 AM
Arthur Clune

In uk.rec.cycling Default wrote:
: I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
: sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

In the UK, British Cycling are the governing body. They allow
the taking of insluin providing

a) it's medically necessary (ie a doctor certifies that you need it) and
b) you tell them in advance.

After that, no problems.

On of the guys in our club is a very strong Cat 2 cyclist and type
II diabetic.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old August 20th 04, 01:39 AM
matt weber

On 19 Aug 2004 08:50:32 GMT, "Arthur Clune" wrote:

In uk.rec.cycling Default wrote:
: I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
: sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

In the UK, British Cycling are the governing body. They allow
the taking of insluin providing

a) it's medically necessary (ie a doctor certifies that you need it) and
b) you tell them in advance.

After that, no problems.

On of the guys in our club is a very strong Cat 2 cyclist and type
II diabetic.

Arthur

In the last, and in the current olympics, one of the US swimmers, Gary
Hall is a type I.
Old August 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Beav

"matt weber" wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2004 08:50:32 GMT, "Arthur Clune" wrote:

In uk.rec.cycling Default wrote:
: I am curious to know what the position is with insulin taking in
: sport/cycling? For diabetics of-course..

In the UK, British Cycling are the governing body. They allow
the taking of insluin providing

a) it's medically necessary (ie a doctor certifies that you need it) and
b) you tell them in advance.

After that, no problems.

On of the guys in our club is a very strong Cat 2 cyclist and type
II diabetic.

Arthur

In the last, and in the current olympics, one of the US swimmers, Gary
Hall is a type I.

Our gold medallist (6 of the buggers) rower (Steve Redgrave) is an insulin
using diabetic too.

Beav

Old August 27th 04, 12:14 AM
Clive George

"Beav" wrote in message

Our gold medallist (6 of the buggers) rower (Steve Redgrave) is an insulin
using diabetic too.

And is almost as regular a feature in the BDA/diabetes UK magazine as the
calendar girls are in our local paper :-)

cheers,
clive

Old September 3rd 04, 12:02 AM
Beav

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Beav" wrote in message

Our gold medallist (6 of the buggers) rower (Steve Redgrave) is an

insulin
using diabetic too.

And is almost as regular a feature in the BDA/diabetes UK magazine as the
calendar girls are in our local paper :-)

I stay away from anything related to the BDA. so I wouldn't know. I've heard
conflicting stories on his TYPE though. I don't suppose you know if he's T1
or T2 do you?

Beav

L.A. Confidential Excerpt 'Dis Guy Racing 3 October 10th 04 05:31 AM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Article: Circus as Sport? JJuggle Unicycling 4 September 30th 03 06:11 PM
BBC:Drugs In Sport (HTML Version) B. Lafferty Racing 0 July 28th 03 04:21 PM
BBC: Drugs In Sport B. Lafferty Racing 0 July 28th 03 04:19 PM