Mount front brakes on rear?

Old October 28th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mount front brakes on rear?

Nashbar has a good deal on ultegra brake calipers; I mounted them on
my front wheel. My rear caliper is kinda corroded, and I was
considering mounting another front caliper on the rear wheel... Is
this a good idea?

Old October 28th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 28, 12:48 pm, wrote:
Nashbar has a good deal on ultegra brake calipers; I mounted them on
my front wheel. My rear caliper is kinda corroded, and I was
considering mounting another front caliper on the rear wheel... Is
this a good idea?

It should work fine if you use a washer and a regular nut instead of
the recessed one that comes with it.

Old October 28th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 28, 2:22 pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 28, 12:48 pm, wrote:

Nashbar has a good deal on ultegra brake calipers; I mounted them on
my front wheel. My rear caliper is kinda corroded, and I was
considering mounting another front caliper on the rear wheel... Is
this a good idea?

It should work fine if you use a washer and a regular nut instead of
the recessed one that comes with it.

Is it ok to do this with a carbon chainstay?

Old October 28th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 28, 12:48 pm, wrote:

Nashbar has a good deal on ultegra brake calipers; I mounted them on
my front wheel. My rear caliper is kinda corroded, and I was
considering mounting another front caliper on the rear wheel... Is
this a good idea?

It should work fine if you use a washer and a regular nut instead of
the recessed one that comes with it.

Is it ok to do this with a carbon chainstay?

I don't see why not.

Old October 28th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:28:58 -0700, zarfus1 wrote:

Is it ok to do this with a carbon chainstay?

Aren't rear brakes usually mounted on the seat stays?

Stephen Bauman
Old October 28th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 28, 4:04 pm, Stephen Bauman wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:28:58 -0700, zarfus1 wrote:

Is it ok to do this with a carbon chainstay?

Aren't rear brakes usually mounted on the seat stays?

I'll take Brake Bridge for $200, Alex.

Old October 28th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 28, 5:22 pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 28, 4:04 pm, Stephen Bauman wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:28:58 -0700, zarfus1 wrote:

Is it ok to do this with a carbon chainstay?

Aren't rear brakes usually mounted on the seat stays?

I'll take Brake Bridge for $200, Alex.

oops yes seat stays.

Old October 29th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 28, 6:48 pm, wrote:
Nashbar has a good deal on ultegra brake calipers; I mounted them on
my front wheel. My rear caliper is kinda corroded, and I was
considering mounting another front caliper on the rear wheel... Is
this a good idea?

If you have an old bolt for the rear, you can disassemble the brake
and replace the longer front bolt with a shorter one required for the
rear. I believe this is even easier to do with dual pivot sidepulls
than the old style single pivots, but it's been a while since I've
taken one of these apart.