Suntour rear derailleur that has no derailleur hanger

Old March 23rd 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Postman Delivers[_3_]

Default Suntour rear derailleur that has no derailleur hanger

The rear derailleur has a mounting bolt (where the derailleur hooks onto
the axle). I assumed this is for anchoring the derailleur in the proper
position

Reading more the Suntour rear derailleur mounted on my older Takara is
not meant to sit at the back of the dropout. This derailleur has a
removable hangar which has no attached hangar. The bolt keep the hanger
from spinning, and also moves the derailleur in towards the sprockets.

Similar to this image...
http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net...nn/sportabout/
rearderailleur.jpg

My question: where can I locate a bracket or axle-stop for the non drive
dropout? Making it easy to slide the axle all the way back until it
stops on evenly on both dropout and keep the wheel properly centered
between the chain stays.

JR the postman
Old March 23rd 12, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Postman Delivers[_3_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:24:45 +0000, Postman Delivers wrote:

The rear derailleur has a mounting bolt (where the derailleur hooks onto
the axle). I assumed this is for anchoring the derailleur in the proper
position

Reading more the Suntour rear derailleur mounted on my older Takara is
not meant to sit at the back of the dropout. This derailleur has a
removable hangar which has no attached hangar. The bolt keep the hanger
from spinning, and also moves the derailleur in towards the sprockets.

Similar to this image...
http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net...nn/sportabout/
rearderailleur.jpg

My question: where can I locate a bracket or axle-stop for the non
drive dropout? Making it easy to slide the axle all the way back until
it stops on evenly on both dropout and keep the wheel properly centered
between the chain stays.

JR the postman

* * *
Not certain but would one of these solve the problem?
http://www.amazon.com/Surly-Monkey-K...ers/dp/images/
B001GSMKRG

JR the postman
Old March 23rd 12, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

uh there's a metal tab linking deray to dropout, right ? hmmm maybe not. But it's cuttable, drillable from malleable steel.
Old March 23rd 12, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/derailleur-hangers.html
Old March 23rd 12, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

there were axle stops add on, from Loosescrews ? but take a 10mm bolt and reshape to fit. Use the shaft only or if room file head down to clasp dropout surface.
also possibl;e to use a nut fits 10mm spacing. jamb it in.
Sand works. Bolt axle washers onto a layed of sand stuck down with a grease film
Andy Muzi can braze a spiff set of dropouts with spacer screws .
Old March 23rd 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...l0ll0l0.frgbld.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/derailleur-hangers.html
Old March 23rd 12, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

posting hyperlinks isn't going today-look up WHEELS MFG dropouts and searchg google images for suntour rear derailleur
Old March 23rd 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

no end to it...

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...j8l19l0.frgbld.

string is best across the CR flats but oocurs 2me a 1buh2 with wood block shims could mount-bolt-off CR's then position rear wheel with tumor rear shim block for opposite rim diameter pts.

is there an equivalent tool - like string b ut string doesn't fix the postion only sugggesting position to eyesight. You can do theblocklayers or wall builders shim with a fixed shim at one end-CR-and a same thickness shim at the other for sliding tween wheel aqnd fixed string- as both ends tiede to a fixed point-CR and uh ???

is probabbbble a deluxe cycle stand has such built in ?
Old March 23rd 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Mar 23, 5:24*am, Postman Delivers
wrote:
The rear derailleur has a mounting bolt (where the derailleur hooks onto
the axle). I assumed this is for anchoring the derailleur in the proper
position

Reading more the Suntour rear derailleur mounted on my older Takara is
not meant to sit at the back of the dropout. *This derailleur has a
removable hangar which has no attached hangar. *The bolt keep the hanger
from spinning, and also moves the derailleur in towards the sprockets.

Similar to this image...http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net...nn/sportabout/
rearderailleur.jpg

My *question: where can I locate a bracket or axle-stop for the non drive
dropout? *Making it easy to slide the axle all the way back until it
stops on evenly on both dropout and keep the wheel properly centered
between the chain stays.

JR the postman

Unecessary complication, just tighten the right wheel nut and the left
end of the axle should be in the correct position. Tighten it up (not
fully yet), and check the wheel alignment with a length of string.
Once that is judged satisfactory, after nudging the rear wheel to
effect alignment, tighten up the left side fully. It's not a big deal
and you should get a feel for the correct position by aligning with
the bikes seat-tube. As long as you can ride no hands, it's good.
Old March 23rd 12, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Fiddling with a piece of string is easier than having a wheel stop
inserted to the non-drive side dropout?

Why not just get another derailleur hanger and grind/cut off the ear
and then bolt it to the non-drive sidedropout in the position that the
wheel needs to be in? Then putting the wheel back on is as easy as it
is with the wheel adjuster bolts found on higher quality bikes.

Cheers