Did Too

Old July 14th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Did Too

Those who were watching the Tour de France today probably could not have missed that the Dogma of one team broke into three pieces for no discernable reason. While Phil Ligget was saying that a member of the team had run over a water bottle that was about 100 feet before the crash. Water bottles on the track in these tight turn slow speed areas are likely to be empties or nearly so. They are MUCH lighter than normal over-the-counter water bottles because why build an ultralight just to put weight back on it? The roads were not the sort to shake a bottle out of a holder.

In any case the entire team rounded a 90 degree turn and one guy came to a screeching halt. It appeared to me that he actually stepped off of the bike and I don't think that the rider fell. Though the teammate behind him did though not seriously I'd warrant since they were nearly stopped by that time.

The rest of the team rapidly coordinated and took off FAST. The man with the broken bike remained behind for the team car with a replacement.

Of the carbon fiber failures I've seen this was by FAR the thinnest layup. So the technology appears to be advancing and no doubt this was a manufacturing error on a specially built super-light team bikes. (Remember that when you see and original team bike for sale)

The most interesting thing though is that the team KNEW this could happen as witnessed by the way they took off without even a surprised look on anyone's faces. (or perhaps there were and the various shots just didn't catch it.)

But this again throws the safety margin of these bikes into question. I'm not worried about my CF mostly because it is 3 lbs heavier than a Tour contender. They are built to last.

But if people still insist that a factory rep was wrong because you know more than they do, perhaps you should rethink your position.
Old July 14th 19, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 2:46:01 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Mike Woods of Education First crashed for whatever reason and half of the Ineos team fell over him. Geraint Thomas ran over the bike of his teammate Moscon which then broke in three pieces; 12000 euro's down the drain. Great stage by the way of Thomas de Gendt.

Lou
Lou
Old July 14th 19, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:55:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have no complaint with bikes that are in collisions or run over and fail. Bicycles are not designed to survive collisions. Normal road hazards are another thing.