2004 Kona Coiler opinions

Old September 17th 03, 09:09 AM
Philthy

Default 2004 Kona Coiler opinions

Hi,
Before I ask my local shop to get one of these in for a test ride (Kona UK
will drive on up on request :-)
http://www.konaworld.uk.com/bikes/20...2k4_coiler.cfm

Has anyone seen one or riden one yet, I'm after a 5" travel FS bike to
suppliment my hardtail.
"If" they're awful then has anyone got any reccomendations for others to
try, my LBS will order sale or return anything they can get they're hands on
for test.

Thanks
Phil

Old September 17th 03, 11:42 AM
bomba

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:09:41 +0100, Philthy wrote:

Hi,
Before I ask my local shop to get one of these in for a test ride (Kona UK
will drive on up on request :-)
http://www.konaworld.uk.com/bikes/20...2k4_coiler.cfm

Has anyone seen one or riden one yet, I'm after a 5" travel FS bike to
suppliment my hardtail.
"If" they're awful then has anyone got any reccomendations for others to
try, my LBS will order sale or return anything they can get they're hands on
for test.

I think you'll struggle to find anyone with any opinions as they're brand
new.

Don't know if they're in your price range, but there's the SC Heckler and
Orange Patriot.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old September 17th 03, 01:03 PM
Philthy

I think you'll struggle to find anyone with any opinions as they're brand
new.

Well I thought I'd ask.

Don't know if they're in your price range, but there's the SC Heckler and
Orange Patriot.

Love the Heckler but a build is well out of my range unfortunalty, Just how
heavy is a Patriot as the last one I rode seemed to weigh a ton, but I was a
lot less fit back then.
I'm looking to spend 1500 and was after something tougher than an XC FS but
not as heavy and full on as say a Stinky or Gspot. I may look at Orange
again but think it's probably still above my price range. This new coiler
seemed to fit the bill nicely, but there will be others.
Phil

Old September 17th 03, 02:02 PM
Carla A-G

"Philthy" wrote in message
Hi,
Before I ask my local shop to get one of these in for a test ride (Kona UK
will drive on up on request :-)
http://www.konaworld.uk.com/bikes/20...2k4_coiler.cfm

Has anyone seen one or riden one yet, I'm after a 5" travel FS bike to
suppliment my hardtail.
"If" they're awful then has anyone got any reccomendations for others to
try, my LBS will order sale or return anything they can get they're hands

on
for test.

Saw one at the bike shop. They weigh a ton and are spec'd with low end
components ( a lot of housebrand parts). I didn't test ride it so I can't
comment on how it rides.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 17th 03, 03:12 PM
bomba

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:03:26 +0100, Philthy wrote:

Don't know if they're in your price range, but there's the SC Heckler and
Orange Patriot.

Love the Heckler but a build is well out of my range unfortunalty, Just how
heavy is a Patriot as the last one I rode seemed to weigh a ton, but I was a
lot less fit back then.

There are now 2 types of Patriot, the 7+ for DH, FR-type stuff, and the
more XC-oriented normal Patriot. It will probably be lighter than the
34lb Coiler.

I'm looking to spend 1500 and was after something tougher than an XC FS but
not as heavy and full on as say a Stinky or Gspot. I may look at Orange
again but think it's probably still above my price range.

Prices start at 1700, I believe, but you might get a deal on a '03 model.

Old September 18th 03, 02:23 AM
KSlater

"bomba" wrote in message
news
[...]

WHen you see Coiler think Stinky of four years ago.

Old September 18th 03, 02:45 AM
MTBScottie

Subject: 2004 Kona Coiler opinions
From: "Carla A-G"
Date: 9/17/2003 9:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
"Philthy" wrote in message
Hi,
Before I ask my local shop to get one of these in for a test ride (Kona UK
will drive on up on request :-)
http://www.konaworld.uk.com/bikes/20...2k4_coiler.cfm

Has anyone seen one or riden one yet, I'm after a 5" travel FS bike to
suppliment my hardtail.
"If" they're awful then has anyone got any reccomendations for others to
try, my LBS will order sale or return anything they can get they're hands

on
for test.

Saw one at the bike shop. They weigh a ton and are spec'd with low end
components ( a lot of housebrand parts). I didn't test ride it so I can't
comment on how it rides.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

I'd have to disagree. The weight is 33 pounds, which I think is still
repsectable, and here's the specs.......

Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum 5" travel
Fox Vanilla R with ProPedal
Marzocchi Drop-Off Comp 130mm
FSA
RaceFace Ride XC ISIS
44/32/22
RaceFace SRX ISIS
Shimano PD-M505 clipless
Shimano CN-HG53
Shimano Deore (11-32 9 speed)
Shimano Deore
Shimano Deore LX
Shimano Deore
Koski Riser
Koski Stronghold
Kona Jack****
Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
Shimano HB-M475 disc
Shimano FH-M475 disc
Stainless 14g front and rear
Tioga Factory DH 26 x 2.3
Mavic XM 321 Disc
SDG - Kona Gordo
IRD Quad 2
Kona QR
Matt Grey/Black
33.2 lbs

Far from being alot of low end house brand components to me
Old September 18th 03, 05:01 PM
JD

From: "Carla A-G"

Date: 9/17/2003 9:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
"Philthy" wrote in message
[...]

snip yet another kona commercial

Let's see, who are you going to trust here? A Can-Am Girl who
obviously rides, rides a lot and has been riding for years, or howdy
doody's evil twin who obviously doesn't know jack **** about mountain
biking or bicycles?

JD
Old September 18th 03, 05:33 PM
Spider

From: "Carla A-G"

Date: 9/17/2003 9:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
"Philthy" wrote in message
[...]

It's on the high end of respectable for a freeride rig, IMO.

Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum 5" travel

For the weight, that is a short travel bike.

Fox Vanilla R with ProPedal
Marzocchi Drop-Off Comp 130mm

Coil and oil, IIRC. Low end for Marz, but still a darn good fork.

FSA

Uhhh, which one? Some are better than others.

RaceFace Ride XC ISIS

Low-end for RF, like the Prodigy line.

RaceFace SRX ISIS

Low-end RF BB.

Shimano PD-M505 clipless

Low-end SPD pedals.

Shimano Deore (11-32 9 speed)
Shimano Deore
Shimano Deore LX
Shimano Deore

For a $1.6k bike, this is a pretty low-end parts spec. We're not
talking Avilio, but close.

Koski Riser
Koski Stronghold

Not low end? Give me a break.

Kona Jack****

Oooo, house brand. Coda, anyone?

Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC

Decent brakes. Well, to haul down 33.5lbs of bike, in addition to the
rider, I guess the brakes better be good.

Shock and brakes are the only high-end parts so far. The fork too,
when compared to the available competition *in that performance
range*.

Shimano HB-M475 disc
Shimano FH-M475 disc

Lower than Deore, IIRC. Deore parts would be HB-M5** and FH-M5**,
right?

Stainless 14g front and rear

Weaker straight-gauge spoking on a free-ride rig. Good idea.

Tioga Factory DH 26 x 2.3

Some folks would consider this tire the first replacement item on this
bike.

Mavic XM 321 Disc

Low-end Mavic rims, right?

SDG - Kona Gordo
IRD Quad 2

Low-end seat and post

Kona QR

House-brand.

Far from being alot of low end house brand components to me

No, not a lot of house-brand, but still low-end components. This bike
is no bargain at $1.6k - which is one of the reasons I didn't buy a
Kona to replace the one I gave my nephew. Kona charges a premium for
their bikes, for no discernable benefit.

If it were all LX or a mix of LX and XT, then I'd say it was a decent
deal.

Spider