The joys of night-riding - it's not the beer talking

Old March 24th 05, 01:25 PM
Andy Lewis

Default The joys of night-riding - it's not the beer talking

My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits. We've always put this down to
the fact that it's normally only dark after we leave the pub and the
beer's numbing the pain. Last night, however, the whole 25 mile trip
rounds the lanes of south Oxfordshire (north of Reading) was in the
dark, and it was equally wonderful pre- and post-pub. Made even better
by the clear sky and almost full moon.

Theorising about this, we discounted the 'less windy at night'
possibility, and concluded that it must be purely psychological, i.e.
if you can only see a short distance ahead, especially on the hills,
you don't get disheartened, which has a positive effect on your
stamina and energy levels.

Any views?

Andy
Old March 24th 05, 01:40 PM
Paul - xxx

Andy Lewis composed the following;:
My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits. We've always put this down to
the fact that it's normally only dark after we leave the pub and the
beer's numbing the pain. Last night, however, the whole 25 mile trip
rounds the lanes of south Oxfordshire (north of Reading) was in the
dark, and it was equally wonderful pre- and post-pub. Made even better
by the clear sky and almost full moon.

Theorising about this, we discounted the 'less windy at night'
possibility, and concluded that it must be purely psychological, i.e.
if you can only see a short distance ahead, especially on the hills,
you don't get disheartened, which has a positive effect on your
stamina and energy levels.

Any views?

The excitement factor is really heightened at night, especially off-road
in a forest, downhill at top speed ..

Sphincter Factor of about 8.5 methinks ...

Seriously yes, I think it has a lot to do with the minimal field of view
and also the ability to concentrate more because there's less external
stimulii to distract.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old March 24th 05, 01:47 PM
David Martin

On 24/3/05 1:25 pm, in article
, "Andy Lewis"
wrote:

My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits. We've always put this down to
the fact that it's normally only dark after we leave the pub and the
beer's numbing the pain. Last night, however, the whole 25 mile trip
rounds the lanes of south Oxfordshire (north of Reading) was in the
dark, and it was equally wonderful pre- and post-pub. Made even better
by the clear sky and almost full moon.

Theorising about this, we discounted the 'less windy at night'
possibility, and concluded that it must be purely psychological, i.e.
if you can only see a short distance ahead, especially on the hills,
you don't get disheartened, which has a positive effect on your
stamina and energy levels.

Any views?

No, It's too dark to see ;-)

Seriously though, it might be due to a number of things:

1. You can't see the hills so don't slow down untill you have to (even more
interesting in thick fog at night.)

2. You can't see the corners so don't brake untill you really have to.

3. Your body may be more relaxed at the end of the day and able to cope
better.

4. It's more fun (in a strange sort of way)

5. You aren't distracted by lycra-clad bums of the opposite sex as you
either can't see them or are concentratign hard on the little you can see
with your lights.

...d

Old March 24th 05, 01:49 PM
Pete Biggs

Andy Lewis wrote:
My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits. We've always put this down to
the fact that it's normally only dark after we leave the pub and the
beer's numbing the pain. Last night, however, the whole 25 mile trip
rounds the lanes of south Oxfordshire (north of Reading) was in the
dark, and it was equally wonderful pre- and post-pub. Made even better
by the clear sky and almost full moon.

Theorising about this, we discounted the 'less windy at night'
possibility,

I don't, I think that is one of the factors. Small changes of wind speed
make big changes to enjoyment.

and concluded that it must be purely psychological, i.e.
if you can only see a short distance ahead, especially on the hills,
you don't get disheartened, which has a positive effect on your
stamina and energy levels.

Agreed, except for the "purely" bit.

For me, the novelty factor also adds excitement because I've only recently
been able to ride at proper speed in the sticks at night after getting
powerful lights, at long last.

~PB

Old March 24th 05, 02:05 PM

Andy Lewis wrote:
My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits. We've always put this down

the fact that it's normally only dark after we leave the pub and the
beer's numbing the pain. Last night, however, the whole 25 mile

trip
rounds the lanes of south Oxfordshire (north of Reading) was in the
dark, and it was equally wonderful pre- and post-pub. Made even

better
by the clear sky and almost full moon.

Having run and cycled around the Herefordshire lanes at night, I reckon
I go faster so that the monsters and axe-wielding homocidal maniacs
that are lurking in the hedgerows have to work harder to get me.

--
Hywel

Old March 24th 05, 02:08 PM
Mark Tranchant

Andy Lewis wrote:
My two cycling buddies and I have always remarked on the pleasures of
riding in the country at night. Everything seems less effort than in
the daytime, especially the uphill bits.

Measure your average speed. IME, I go significantly slower than I think
I am in the dark.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old March 24th 05, 02:13 PM
wafflycat

What I particularly enjoy about night cycling round the lanes of Norfolk is
that when there's a clear sky, the stars are *wonderful*

Cheers, helen s

Old March 24th 05, 03:11 PM
Tony Raven

David Martin wrote:

It s the horses looming over fences that can really give you a fright..

To say nothing of an owl swooping silently straight at you!

Tony