It flies, it *really* flies.

Old January 7th 05, 05:18 PM
Not Responding

Default It flies, it *really* flies.

It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the usual
place http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

I'll admit that the appeal of collecting a new bike from the LBS was
diluted somewhat by the sight and sound of a gale bending trees and
hammering rain against the office windows. My wife advised bringing it
back in a taxi. But I decided to ignore this and come 1300, snuck out
from work with a rucsac full of Altura's best waterproofs.

John at Syvier Cycles in Waterlooville had the bike ready and his
estimate of bar and saddle positions were spot on.

I settled for boring, double-sided flat pedals without even straps. I
think John regarded this as retrograde as asking him for an Ordinary.
I'm sure I'll go back to clipless once my confidence grows. Just can't
risk a horizontal track stand onto this duff arm right now.

Not having ridden a drop barred bike for years and years, I had to ask
how these new fangled gears worked. Good job I did ask, I'd have never
worked it out in a month of Sundays. "The small chainring is for
emergencies", I was told and "take the mudguards off and it'll be fine
when you race it". "Ho, ho", I thought to both those comments.

I then changed, coughed up the cash[1], was given a brief lecture on the
importance of cleaning and /waxing/ [2] bikes and then it was off into
the rain.

What fun! What speed! Where are the fcuking brakes! (OK, there's a few
things for me to get used to). I know that buying a new bike won't make
up for lack of fitness and general crap cycling but upgrading from a
utility bike to a road bike *is* an astonishing upgrade.

Looking forward to some road bike fun. You never know, I may one day get
to use the 20 gears that I have yet to trouble with. I may also get used
to v. hard, v. narrow tyres and no suspension. I kept thinking I had a
puncture.

[1] When your wife says "so, how much was it then?", never start your
answer with "well the frame was only...". Even if you /had/ intended to
go on and detail the total cost of all the components, she'll assume you
were planning to categorise all but the frame as "bike accessories" and
not worth discussion.

[2] Waxing a bike? Did I actually hear that right?
Old January 7th 05, 05:24 PM
Simonb

Not Responding wrote:

http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Wow. Nice and shiny. No excuses for not Audaxing now: we shall expect to see
you in Kingsworthy bright and early on Jan 16th.

Old January 7th 05, 05:57 PM
Succorso

Not Responding wrote:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the usual
place http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

I'm really really envious. I've always loved the look of that bike -
ever since I saw one in the rack next to mine in Norwich.

Have lots of fun on it - you've earned it

--
Chris
Old January 7th 05, 06:20 PM
Paul - xxx

Not Responding composed the following;:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the
usual place
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Heheheh, bright lights, bright lights ...

That's a helluva nice looking bike, makes me feel like possibly riding a
roadie again ..

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Old January 7th 05, 06:45 PM
NC

Not Responding wrote:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the
usual place
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Looks very smart.

[2] Waxing a bike? Did I actually hear that right?

Yes, that's right. You put it on your legs first, then do the bike, by which
time the stuff on your legs can be pulled off....
This wax stuff is all about aerodynamics.

Actually, I think he's probably serious. About every six months or so, my
bike frames get a clean and a polish with car wax polish. I include any of
the shiny finish alloy parts where accessible (except rims obviously!). It
does seem to help keep them looking shiny. An old toothbrush helps if there
are nooks and crannies (eg. pierced lug-work), though I guess your new steed
is a smooth frame.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Old January 7th 05, 06:50 PM
David Martin

Paul - xxx wrote:
Not Responding composed the following;:

It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the
usual place
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Heheheh, bright lights, bright lights ...

That's a helluva nice looking bike, makes me feel like possibly riding a
roadie again ..

And far too clean.. I'm not sure I would ever be allowed to take my
bike[s] into the kitchen.

...d

Old January 7th 05, 07:00 PM
Brian G

Not Responding wrote:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the usual
place http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Oh boy, if I were 20 years younger (sob)
Hope it gives you years of fun.

--
Brian G
Old January 7th 05, 07:07 PM
Danny Colyer

Succorso wrote:
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

I'm really really envious. I've always loved the look of that bike -
ever since I saw one in the rack next to mine in Norwich.

I'm actually more envious of the kitchen (apart from the green tiles).
I had a nice new kitchen fitted 18 months ago, but it's not as nice as
Not Responding's.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old January 7th 05, 08:24 PM
GeoffC

Not Responding wrote:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the
usual place
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Nice bike.
Those reflective beads are effective. Should be mandatory IMO.

--

Geoff

Old January 7th 05, 09:19 PM
weecrackpot

"GeoffC" wrote in message
Not Responding wrote:
It's here. I rode home. 15 miles into God's own headwind straight off
the sea. I hardly noticed the wind. Magnificent bike. Pics in the
usual place
http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/photos...ompressed.html.

Nice bike.
Those reflective beads are effective. Should be mandatory IMO.

--

Geoff

Lovely bike and in my favourite colour,
good luck with it.

psst...i could see you moving the misses
out to the settee and the bike in the bedroom
where you can sit up and admire it all night.
he! he!