Ultegra shifter problem

Old April 11th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
gary

Default Ultegra shifter problem

i have a problem with my shifter that started at the end of last fall
that i think i know what the problem is but am looking for
confirmation.

bike is about 7 years old with ultegra 6500 shifters.

the issue is with my right shifter (i.e. back cassette) when i shift
into a higher gear (i.e. smaller cog). the shift works ok but when i
eventually want to shift back to a lower gear and swipe the large
lever for the next lowest gear it does not "catch". i have to swipe
the large levere all the way (to the left) before it will catch and i
can feel resistance on the shifter. at that point i can hit the
shifter to shift to the next lowest gear. i'm guessing (hoping) that
it is just cable slack that i can adjust.

does this sound just like the cable has to be tighten (?) by adjusting
the knob near the rear derailleur?

thanks!
Old April 11th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bentracer and Bentrider[_2_]

On Apr 11, 4:10*pm, gary wrote:
[...]

the problem you are having is gummed up paws, what you need to do
is,get yourself some WD 40 and flush out the lever where the paws are
and keep working the lever until it catches and lube it more with a
slightly heavier lube.
Old April 12th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 4/11/2010 4:34 PM, Bentracer and Bentrider posted from Monkey Island:

[...] and lube it more with a slightly heavier lube.

That's what she said.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old April 18th 10, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Bentracer and Bentrider wrote:

gary wrote:

the issue is with my right shifter (i.e. back cassette) when i shift
into a higher gear (i.e. smaller cog). *the shift works ok but when i
eventually want to shift back to a lower gear and swipe the large
lever for the next lowest gear it does not "catch". *

Yeah, they do that.

the problem you are having is gummed up paws, what you need to do
is,get yourself some WD 40 and flush out the lever where the paws are
and keep working the lever until it catches and lube it more with a
slightly heavier lube.

That's "pawls".

And STI shifters respond much better to a hotter solvent than WD40.
At my shop, the thing we have around that works best is White
Lightning Clean Streak dry degreaser. After freeing up the mechanism,
I flood with Boeshield T-9 or some other light spray lube.

It's funny what some folks will tolerate. Downtube, barend, thumb,
and stem shifters cost less, weigh less, and don't fail this way.

Chalo
Old April 18th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

gary wrote:

[...]

I liked stem shifters and safety brakes. I don't know why they got
rid of those. My 1968 Schwinn Varsity was all I ever needed, and I
liked that sparkly bar tape that matched the color of the bike.-- Jay
Beattie.
Old April 12th 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"gary" wrote in message
[...]

Flush it with Powerlube, available at fine auto parts stores everywhere
(well, NAPA anyway!). Amazing stuff; brings back to life far more levers
than WD40 ever did. Sometimes you have to play with it for quite a while
before it starts working again. And some levers just can't be brought
back to life.

In general, the problem seems to come up with bikes that haven't been
used for a while. Very rare to see it on bikes in continuous use.

But it's not a cable adjustment issue.

One other thing to look at is the condition of the cable. If it's
beginning to fray, you will sometimes be able to shift to a larger cog
but not back down to a smaller one. But in that situation, the lever
will still likely "click" when you try to shift to the smaller sprocket.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 15th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
gary

On Apr 12, 12:35*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

[...]

mike,

thanks for the reply. the bike is in continuous use at least from
late
april to early october. i'm hoping that it is a "screw issue" that
graham
mentioned. if not i'll try your Powerlube suggestion.

i'm hoping the the lever can "be brought back to life". shifters
aren't
exactly cheap!! :) :)

as far the cable condition it only happens shifting using the big
lever
(going into a lower gear, bigger cog). i have no problem shifting to
a higher gear via the smaller lever.
Old April 17th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
z, fred

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"gary" wrote in message
[...]

Just bought some Powerlube from NAPA on your recommendation. I don't
know if this is nationwide, but it was about 50% off so I bought two.
Old April 12th 10, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Graham

"gary" wrote in message
[...]

If the advice from others about cleaning and relubing or cable fray does not
work check that the screw on the underside of the lever at the top where the
lever leaves the housing is still there and tight. I had similar symptoms to
yours when that screw on my STI came loose.

Graham.

Old April 15th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
gary

graham,

can i see this screw normally or do i need to pull back the rubber
shroud (not really sure what the real name is) in order to see it?
hopefully i try to check it out this weekend. if that is not it i'll
the flushing as was mentioned.

if my initial swipe to get it into a lower gear does not "click" then
by swiping the level as far as it goes and then returning and trying
again usually allows the gear change. hopefully it is as simple as
you mentioned.