Question about brakes

Old May 21st 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Question about brakes

On 21/05/14 22:20, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2014 6:39 PM, Joe Riel wrote:

Is it possible/practical to apply it to a portion of the rim, say
be having the wheel mounted so it rotates through the bath?
That would reduce the total current. How fast is the process?

Maybe rim rotation on nylon rollers but not a wheel. Steel bits in an
anodizing bath make big holes in the aluminum (not certain about brass
nipples). Aluminum nipples would anodize into the rim.

Somehow you have to attach an electrode to the rim.

--
JS
Old May 22nd 14, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/05/14 06:11, David Scheidt wrote:
James wrote:

:Equivalent to 66A at 240VAC.

:The line to the road might just cope if I hooked in a heavy lead right
:at the meter.

Really? It's impossilbe to get less than 100A at 240V service in a US
house these days; 200 is a lot more common in new construction.

Well, it was just my gut feeling. My house is about 50 years old. New
houses might be different.

My brother should know. He's an electrician.

--
JS
Old May 22nd 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 21/05/2014 23:54, James wrote:

I looked around and I see Aussie electric cookers rated at 8.7 KWm
Australian standard seems to be 230 VAC -10% +6% so a worst case would
be feeding the cooker with 207VAC or about 43 amps. Likely the house
Entrance is at least double that so if you turn the lights out you
probably have enough power to do the rims :-)

Might be cheaper to just plan on buying a new rim every once in a
while :-)

I came to the same conclusion.

Similar economics to bitcoins? (price roughly compares with the
electricity cost required to mine one)

Old May 22nd 14, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/21/2014 7:52 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 21/05/2014 23:54, James wrote:

I looked around and I see Aussie electric cookers rated
at 8.7 KWm
Australian standard seems to be 230 VAC -10% +6% so a
worst case would
be feeding the cooker with 207VAC or about 43 amps.
Likely the house
Entrance is at least double that so if you turn the
lights out you
probably have enough power to do the rims :-)

Might be cheaper to just plan on buying a new rim every
once in a
while :-)

I came to the same conclusion.

Similar economics to bitcoins? (price roughly compares with
the electricity cost required to mine one)

Same economics of everything really.

For example gold miners are currently processing one ton of
material to yield 1.6 grams of raw gold, add processing,
transit and certification costs to that. And yet the market
is active.

(Troy ounce = 31.1 grams, not 28.5)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 23rd 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Thu, 22 May 2014 07:06:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

A lot of people, world wide, consider gold a better place to park
their money. (I'm beginning to think that way also :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)