Handlebar diameters?

Old October 8th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan Smith

Default Handlebar diameters?

I'm real happy with the Avid Juicy-7 front disc brake on my MTB. So
much so, that I'd like to fit another one to my commuter.

The commuter currently has an Avid BB-7 with a tektro cross-lever on
the bar-end. Snag is, the Juicy-7s won't go over the bar-ends (bars
diameter is too big).

The bars are Nitto Mod177AA noodle bar which is a a 26mm clamp size.
I see Nitto sell other bars, such as the randonneur, moustache,
B-123AA or Nitto B-2500AA courier bar with a smaller clamp size
(25.4mm). Some are drops, some are flats.. I'd like to keep a drop if
I can..

Question is, if I get one of these bars with the smaller clamp size,
will the Juicy-7 brake lever fit over the ends?

Many thanks,

Duncan

Old October 8th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Duncan Smith wrote:

The commuter currently has an Avid BB-7 with a tektro cross-lever on
the bar-end. Snag is, the Juicy-7s won't go over the bar-ends (bars
diameter is too big).

The bars are Nitto Mod177AA noodle bar which is a a 26mm clamp size.
I see Nitto sell other bars, such as the randonneur, moustache,
B-123AA or Nitto B-2500AA courier bar with a smaller clamp size
(25.4mm). Some are drops, some are flats.. I'd like to keep a drop if
I can..

Question is, if I get one of these bars with the smaller clamp size,
will the Juicy-7 brake lever fit over the ends?

Nope. All aluminum drop bars use stupid diameters (usually 23.8mm)
that don't accommodate real brake levers or shift levers. Some old
steel drop bars use the conventional 22.2mm diameter, but you'll have
to cruise alleys on trash day if you want one of those.

If you want to use proper controls, you'll need to switch to a proper
bar, like a flat, riser, North Road, trekking--- heck, just about any
kind of bar but a drop bar. The upside is that most of those are
better places to park your hands.

Chalo

Old October 8th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Chalo wrote:

Duncan Smith wrote:

The bars are Nitto Mod177AA noodle bar which is a a 26mm clamp size.
I see Nitto sell other bars, such as the randonneur, moustache,
B-123AA or Nitto B-2500AA courier bar

If you want to use proper controls, you'll need to switch to a proper
bar, like a flat, riser, North Road, trekking--- heck, just about any
kind of bar but a drop bar.

I just had a look at the Nitto "Courier" bar, which I was unfamiliar
with. It looks to be a mountain-bike-style bar with zero sweep-- just
a straight tube with a sleeve in the middle for the stem. As such, it
can use all the controls a mountain bike can use. But it is not
likely to be as comfortable as a bar that has more sweep. The Nitto
Albatross and Dove (or Goose, Chicken, Puffin...) bars are good
alternatives. And there are lots of choices from other makers, with
all sorts of sweeps from 3 degrees to 90 degrees.

I like the Dimension "Cruiser" bar, which is actually a North Road-
type bar with about 45 degrees of sweep, really long straight sections
that can be cut down to fit, and roughly 3.5" of rise/drop. It's
available at any shop that has an account with Quality Bicycle
Products.

Chalo

Old October 8th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan Smith

If you want to use proper controls, you'll need to switch to a proper
bar, like a flat, riser, North Road, trekking--- heck, just about any
kind of bar but a drop bar. The upside is that most of those are
better places to park your hands.

Chalo

Oh I see. Fair enough, looks like I'm in the market for some 22.2
diameter flats or risers to take the Avid levers. I have a 26mm road
stem, but don't mind fitting a shim for 25.4mm if I have to.

Not too fussed about carbon composites or flash materials, just after
a well designed chunk of metal for between £20-50.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Duncan

Old October 8th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan Smith

Question is, if I get one of these bars with the smaller clamp size,
will the Juicy-7 brake lever fit over the ends?

no, drop bars are 24mm, mtb bars 22.2mm whatever the clampsize

Cheers, I'll investigate some flats...

Old October 8th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan Smith

I like the Dimension "Cruiser" bar, which is actually a North Road-
type bar with about 45 degrees of sweep, really long straight sections
that can be cut down to fit, and roughly 3.5" of rise/drop. It's
available at any shop that has an account with Quality Bicycle
Products.

Thanks, that gives me a few ideas. I found these drop bars at 22mm

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froog...rols-11348.htm

A bit pricey at £100 though...

Duncan

Old October 9th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl