Bike Tires

Old May 26th 14, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

Default Bike Tires

Back in the day I used to ride Continental Grand Prix 19 and 20mm
tires which had "unsurpassed puncture protection" and now on my
Bangkok bike I have Continental City Ride's which have "Puncture
Protection".

But I still get punctures and the number seem to be dependant on the
thickness of the tread, not on the "Puncture Protection". What brought
this on was a puncture I had yesterday on my usual Sunday ride. A tiny
sliver of metal punctured the middle of the tread and made a pin hole
in the tube. With the thinner Grand Prix I used to get even more
punctures, with a worse case of two punctures in about 100 yds :-(

I'm beginning to wonder whether there is any value in these puncture
protection schemes, other then possibly contributed to the sales
price of the tire?
--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)
Old May 26th 14, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:
[...]

I use Specialized Turbo Pro tires. Ride very well and I haven't had a
puncture flat in years.
--
duane
Old May 26th 14, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Mon, 26 May 2014 10:10:51 +0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

John B. wrote:
[...]

Yes. Way back in the dark ages I used to use sew ups and on the roads
I was ridding on in Indonesia, wide open highways with little traffic,
I don't remember ever having a flat. Then I retired and we came back
to Bangkok and I couldn't carry enough tires to get a ride in. I think
I once went through 4 tires in 15 Km.

Since then I've gotten older and perhaps wiser and I've forsaken the
skinny tires for more normal widths and of course thicker tread and
far fewer flats.

But the advertised "puncture protection" still irks me :-) But I
suppose it is kind of like a St. Christopher medal on the car
dash..... maybe it helps :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)
Old May 26th 14, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:
[...]

I doubt that roads in Indonesia are worse than Quebec. I doubt that
roads in Sarajevo are worse than Quebec. My wrists still hurt from a
100k ride yesterday morning. lol

Just saying that it seems to work with the tires I have. I don't think
it's a marketing scheme. Anyway, cycling communities are pretty chatty
about such things. If they didn't work I doubt that they'd sell much.

Old May 27th 14, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
:
: John B. wrote:
[...]
: --
: Cheers,
:
: John B.
: (invalid to gmail)
:
[...]

The roads in Bosnia are worse than the roads in Quebec. I've driven
in both places. Bosnia has some new, excellent quality, motorways
(narrow and twisty by North american standards, but wonderful by
Balkan ones), but also has some roads that aren't worth calling roads.
The average road is not good, and makes Quebec look wonderful.

:Just saying that it seems to work with the tires I have. I don't think
:it's a marketing scheme. Anyway, cycling communities are pretty chatty
:about such things. If they didn't work I doubt that they'd sell much.

My experience has been that they work. They're not perfect, and the
heavier and slower feeling the tire, the etter it works. I find lots
of little sharp things in my tires, when I bother to look, of the sort
that used to give me flats when I rode skinny fast road tires.

--
sig 109
Old May 27th 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

: wrote:
:
: John B. wrote:
[...]

If you say so. I've never been there but it's hard to imagine.

:Just saying that it seems to work with the tires I have. I don't think
:it's a marketing scheme. Anyway, cycling communities are pretty chatty
:about such things. If they didn't work I doubt that they'd sell much.

My experience has been that they work. They're not perfect, and the
heavier and slower feeling the tire, the etter it works. I find lots
of little sharp things in my tires, when I bother to look, of the sort
that used to give me flats when I rode skinny fast road tires.

Mine are 23c and pretty fast. I know what you mean though about the little
sharp things.

--
duane
Old May 27th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/05/14 15:35, John B. wrote:

Back in the day I used to ride Continental Grand Prix 19 and 20mm
tires which had "unsurpassed puncture protection" and now on my
Bangkok bike I have Continental City Ride's which have "Puncture
Protection".

But I still get punctures and the number seem to be dependant on the
thickness of the tread, not on the "Puncture Protection". What brought
this on was a puncture I had yesterday on my usual Sunday ride. A tiny
sliver of metal punctured the middle of the tread and made a pin hole
in the tube. With the thinner Grand Prix I used to get even more
punctures, with a worse case of two punctures in about 100 yds :-(

I'm beginning to wonder whether there is any value in these puncture
protection schemes, other then possibly contributed to the sales
price of the tire?

The protection is usually a layer of material that will likely resist a
cut from a small piece of glass or stone better than a poke from a sharp
and pointy piece of steel. The protection is often a woven material,
like kevlar, so pointy things can still go between the fibres.

--
JS

Old May 27th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Duane wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:
: Duane wrote:
: :On 5/26/2014 8:07 AM, John B. wrote:
: : On Mon, 26 May 2014 10:10:51 +0000 (UTC), Duane
: : wrote:
: :
: : John B. wrote:
[...]
: : --
: : Cheers,
: :
: : John B.
: : (invalid to gmail)
: :
[...]

Bosnia has some routes called expressways, which are 3/4 of a lane of
what might have at one time been paved. To one side, there's a
mountain. To the other, well, there *isn't* a mountain. I had to
backup hfal a kilometer along such a spot, because there was an
oncoming articulated truck. There are other places where the road
is used for storm water control, instead of a storm sewer. Our
average travel speed was 35 kph (for the whole balkan trip, it was
nearly 50...)

--
sig 55
Old May 27th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

James wrote:
:On 26/05/14 15:35, John B. wrote:
:
:
: I'm beginning to wonder whether there is any value in these puncture
: protection schemes, other then possibly contributed to the sales
: price of the tire?

:The protection is usually a layer of material that will likely resist a
:cut from a small piece of glass or stone better than a poke from a sharp
:and pointy piece of steel. The protection is often a woven material,
:like kevlar, so pointy things can still go between the fibres.

The contis he's got have what conti calls "gummy guard" or something, which
is a rubber layer below the tread, and above the carcass. It provides
puncture protection by providing a mechanical layer of protection, and
extra thickness. (Conti have several different puncture resistant
protection, ranged from kevlar belts to other fabric belts, to
several different rubber layers. It's incredibly confusing, and I
have no idea what they think is more puncture resitant than wat. )

I have a set of conti country tourting mumble mumble mumble on my
commuter, I don't particularly like them, they're heavy and stiff, and
don't have wonderful wet performance. But they're damn near flat
proof, and refuse to wear out. (One or two flats in something like 2k
miles, and the rear is just starting to look worn.)

--
sig 7