Consulting project: wisdom of crowds

Old April 26th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Consulting project: wisdom of crowds

So, which bike to recommend?

A good friend lives about five miles out from a small town, out "in the
country" - which basically means, out where the houses are mostly older
but quite nice, on lots of an acre or more. Last year, I resurrected
her cheap, ancient bike and she began riding something like 6 miles
every morning on local country roads.

She has ambitions of doing longer rides (she's done 20 miles with us),
and she deserves and can afford a nicer bike. She tried my wife's old
touring Cannondale and was astounded at how nice it felt.

Another good friend has health problems, and offered to sell her either
of his two bikes. Trouble is, one is a racing oriented carbon fiber
Trek from the mid-90s, with 23mm tires and close ratio gearing with a
low of about 40-24 or 45 gear inches. It would be like buying a racing
Porsche for driving to the park.

His other bike is a heavy comfort bike, with 2" tires, suspension fork,
suspension seatpost, super-tall handlebars and all that. Seems to me
it's overkill in the other direction.

She'll probably never use the bike for utility trips, just exercise and
the occasional recreational ride. Wider tires would be nice for the
fairly rough roads around here, and low gears for hills because she's
not super-light nor in outstanding aerobic shape.

I'm thinking I'd recommend something with tires in the 28mm - 32mm
range, probably drop bars, maybe aluminum frame, STI or a clone,
non-disc brakes, gears down to 35 gear inches at least, no more than 9
cogs, ability to take racks and fenders. I'll probably join her on some
bike shop visits.

But it's been a while since I did any serious bike shopping. Just
wondering about opinions on types of bikes, particular models, or
anything else the crowd may recommend.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 26th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

who is the close dependable LBS brand bike ?
Old April 26th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 26-04-16 16:49, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't hesitate to go for 2" tires if any of those country roads are
unpaved. I very much like fat tires both on my mountain bike and on my
everyday bike. Good for unpaved roads, don't get caught in tram tracks
(obviously not a problem for your friend), more comfortable on bumps,
etc. I could also see advantages to a suspension fork and seatpost,
again depending on how good the roads are. Handlebar height and reach is
easy to vary. Could also depend on how old your friend is. Now in old
age I've switched to non-drop bars and a more upright riding position in
order to have less pressure on the hands.

Ned
Old April 26th 16, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:49:50 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Skip any cheapie road bike with shock forks. Those forks usually die an early death and are exceptionally sloppy before they go.

There are a million gravel bikes on the market now. Low BBs but plenty of room for big, fat tires. Some are relatively inexpensive: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...401105__401105

These have discs, though.

If I were going for a one-bike-fits-all solution, I'd get a Niner or GT or Norco or maybe even Ridley gravel bike. I like Specialized, but I don't like their proprietary hub and through-axle arrangement. A lot of these bikes can be had in an aluminum version with conventional QRs. Slap on some narrow tires, and they perk right up for a fast weekend ride.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 26th 16, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/26/2016 9:49 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

If she were here we'd start with Bianchi Volpe or the
slightly cheaper version Bianchi Lupo.

Does she prefer step-through? Soma Buena Vista.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 26th 16, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_6_]

On 27/04/2016 12:49 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Surly CrossCheck complete, for no other reason than that it ticks a
number of your boxes and I've been very contented with my own variant
built on a CrossCheck frameset.

Pro: Drop Bars, V-brakes, up to 41mm tyres, brazeons for both front and
rear racks, brazeons for fenders, lowest gear way down there.
Con: Steel frame, comes with 10 speed cassette, bar-end shifters.

If she is a good friend and you're feeling generous you could start with
a frameset (nine sizes 42cm-62cm) and build it up for her yourself. Then
you could have STI and 9 speed cassette. The frameset will take either
caliper brakes or V-brakes/Cantilevers. The fork comes with an uncut
steerer tube so that the handlebar can be set anywhere from above seat
height to way down depending on the owners felxibility and preferences.
PH
Old April 26th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 26/04/2016 3:36 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Bianchi Volpe would be highly recommended by me. I just gave my 1994
Volpe to a friend who's wife needed a commuter. Very well made bike.
Old April 27th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mustang and Bianchi owners smile a lot......

Old April 27th 16, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/04/16 00:49, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I recently bought a new bicycle for my wife. It is a Polygon Path 9.

http://www.polygonbikes.com/ww/bikes/description/2016-path-91

Ok, it comes with a flat bar, but it was cheap and easy enough to fit
trekking bars like
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10053&lang Id=-1&categoryId=204993&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&s earchTerm=
which offer multiple hand positions.

The hydraulic disc brakes are very nice, and it comes with full length
"fenders", hub dynamo and lights, rack and enough gears to climb Mt
Everest - well, almost.

In Australia it was delivered with a little assembly required for $999AUD.

--
JS
Old April 27th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 10:49:46 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I prefer steel frames, mainly because I can then do almost anything I
want to them, but I do have an aluminum frame "utility bike" which is
an old mountain bike. I replaced the front forks with a solid aluminum
fork and added drop bars. At the moment it has 26" X 1.3" (or maybe
1.4") tires and it works fine.

Unless she is riding on dirt roads I don't think one needs to get
excited about tire width and gear ratios are largely a matter of
changing the cassette.
--

Cheers,

John B.