Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Misouri to Destin Florida?

Old April 24th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Misouri to Destin Florida?

wrote:

I've used their maps of other routes. They're not absolutely perfect
(we found a few minor errors) but they were still excellent. They
make navigating and planning much, much easier. Absolutely worth the
money.

OK thanks

Is it possible to take the co-ordinates for their maps
and input into a handlebar mount GPS?

IOW... take the maps with you..... but use a GPS as
well?
Old April 24th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 23, 4:09*pm, wrote:
I'm kicking around idea of riding bike form Hannibal Mo
down to Destin Florida

The Adventure cycling maps cover "some" of the way
there.... Greta Rivers map set.....

Are they worth getting and using? The set is $24

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm or
http://www.mississippirivertrail.org/ you could follow the Mississippi
river south until you decide to cross (by Memphis?)

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm or
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/southerntier.cfm to get you
east.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...anticcoast.cfm or
http://www.greenway.org/ to get down into Florida.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ has plenty of previous tours.

Old April 24th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"
wrote:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm or
http://www.mississippirivertrail.org/ you could follow the Mississippi
river south until you decide to cross (by Memphis?)

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm or
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/southerntier.cfm to get you
east.

Yep.... I would use Miss River route down south and
then Southern Tier to go east to Destin
Old April 24th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

GPS GPS
no GPS ? using a candle for headlamps? carbide ?
uneeda GPS accepts downloads from a PC.
Then a Garmin USA Topo. Maybe get the Topo with the GPS.
try REI, Campmor, or J&R.
freind tells me Google Earth with map printouts beats Garmin
Bluecharts for sea kayaking in Baja Sea of Cortez but I'm not sure how
the Google Earth - GPS relationship works just yet.

The bicycle is so slooooow. The GPS eliminates (tends to) gross time
wasting screwups and tells you you're average on the road speed and
estimated time of arrival.

Old April 24th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 24, 11:54*am, wrote:
wrote:
I've used their maps of other routes. *They're not absolutely perfect
(we found a few minor errors) but they were still excellent. *They
make navigating and planning much, much easier. *Absolutely worth the
money.

OK thanks

Is it possible to take the co-ordinates for their maps
and input into a handlebar mount GPS?

IOW... *take the maps with you..... but use a GPS as
well?

get Google Earth plus and look up bicycle touring, camping, campsites,
scenic highways - in First Search, Whole Earth catalog (that may not
be the exact name) online thru your local library online database. you
should find books for the States you're considering. The Inter library
loan those books.
Find the campsites, attractions and flag those sites in Google Earth.
that's your routeing.
There's a Sierra Club Florida book that's AAA.
BTW if you go to Destin then consider going all the way to Key West.
Have you read the NYT Destin piece? groove on the pelicans.
Don't miss Panacea...
Old April 25th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

datakoll wrote:

BTW if you go to Destin then consider going all the way to Key West.

don't have that much time to go that far
Old April 26th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Misouri to Destin Florida?OR?

http://www.byways.org/
Old April 26th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 25, 10:10*pm, datakoll wrote:
http://www.byways.org/

http://www.nps.gov/nr/