Cell phone junkies are as bad as drunks!

Old August 6th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default You may think this is a series of bad jokes

Originally Posted by ferd_miller
And BTW: what campaign? Are you organizing a "Critical Sloshed Mass"
to push the agenda that motorists should be aware of and make
accommodations for drunk cyclists?

PS: That actually sounds fairly amusing; I'd love to see a YouTube
video of that!

***

No, the point is that if they must drink and drive, they better ride
(taxi, bus or bike).

Your wish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYn1fJqXLc
Old August 6th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by Bekologist
I suspect you can find some variation of "the drunken riders club" in
every major city.

***

It won't have as many members as the Hypocritical Club --those who
know that those who drink also drive and yet deny it.

How you think those millions of Americans who go to parties and clubs
every week make it home, the magic carpet?
Old August 6th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by Pat
I just checked a web site on FL DUI laws. It was well peculiar. The
site stated that bicycles, golf carts, horses and farm machinery were
all considered to be vehicles. I believe that golf carts are not legal
vehicles. They can not be operated legally on the road. I don't know
about horses. I think tractors and such can operate on the roads.

I have read all of the bike specific laws in FL and there is no
attenuation of DUI under statute for bicycles.

On the other hand, people who lose their licenses for DUI in motorized
vehicles can ride bicycles and I think they can do so legally. No
drivers license is required for cycling in FL. In facts, I think
people with DUIs are sort of encouraged to use bikes as an alternate
form of transportation. I have heard of people who had multiple DUIs
in autos switching to bicycles and driving drunk all the time. Maybe
the police figure it is best just to tolerate them and let natural
selection take its course.

***

I think the people who put together the Florida laws (where I live)
must also have been drunk --or high.

I know politicians and lawyers attend a lot of parties.

"Riding a bike costs peanuts --which is why monkeys love biking"

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote88

Old August 6th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by Allister
"I think all mobile phones should be replaced with Bananaphones."

I think it deserves serious consideration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKV4uC9qpM

(Well at least they won't be as "deadly" serious as in a regular
phone)
Old August 6th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by wabbit
"i got squeezed over to the side of a road almost onto the sidewalk,
by a car that was drifting over...wouldn't you know it, the stupid
idiot was looking down at her iphone and texting, not even looking at
the road."

That calls for a banana (or middle finger).
Old August 7th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by genec

"Having been part of the cell phone industry for a number of years...
I hated the lack of courtesy that these things seem to have brought to
society... but then I would remember it was the user, not the cell
phone, that was the problem.

I still work in wireless, but not the cell phone industry."

They say the same things about guns and SUVs.

I don't know why they attract some dangerous people. Bikes though
appeal to many nice people.
Old August 7th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I guess everything is not normal out there

I guess everything is not normal out there...

In this other forum whenever I make comments to draw lessons from
accidents, I'm banned under the rules of the forum. Fine, I tell the
people to stop posting things about accidents and pretend like
"everything is normal"...

'I think this kind of "bad news" where there's death and mayhem should
be banned...

The reason is that then one starts drawing lessons from them and gets
carried away, and voila! you are banned.

Just pretend everything is nice and normal out there.'

And I get this reply...

No, it's not "Nice and Normal" out there. People are freaking idiots
and will kill you if you give them the chance.

More on the story....
DUI ? Suspended license ? Yeah, people are idiots.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/spri...lice_free.html

SUNRISE: 2 women arrested in crashes that killed 3 cyclists
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
August 7, 2008 - 7:47AM
The Gazette
Two women were arrested this week on suspicion of vehicular homicide
in separate crashes that killed three people.
Barbara Thomas, 64, is accused of killing two bicyclists Wednesday on
Colorado Springs' west side when her one-ton pickup drove into a group
of five cyclists, according to police. Thomas was traveling southbound
on S. 26th Street in her 1986 Ford F-350 when she attempted to turn
left onto Westend Avenue. She struck at least two of the bicyclists,
who were riding northbound on 26th Street. Thomas's arrest was also
based on a suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs, driving
with a restricted licenses, and making an improper left turn. Names of
the victims have not been released.

Motorcyclist killed
Tina Kelly, 33, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of killing a
motorcyclist Aug. 1 in southeast Colorado Springs after first lying to
police, police reported.
Andrew Allman, 25, of Colorado Springs, died at the scene near Airport
and Chelton roads when his motorcycle crashed into the back of a
Mercury compact car backing out of a driveway about midnight. A
passenger on the motorcycle, Amanda Diaz, 22, remains hospitalized in
serious condition with a head injury and fractured hip.
Kelly told police at the time of the accident that she was the
passenger in the Mercury and the driver, a man, had fled the scene.
Police later determined she was the alleged driver. In addition to
vehicular homicide, she was arrested on suspicion of false reporting,
driving under the influence, driving under restraint, and other
charges.
Old August 7th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default It's like Orwell used to say

On Aug 4, 10:01 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Brent P wrote:

Cops don't care. They charge people with DUI either way. I've read
news reports of people being charged with DUI while riding bicycles,
motorized coolers, wheel chairs (yes, that's right the handicaped can't
drink outside their home at all without risking a DUI), practically
anything that moves human powered or not. Cops charge people with DUI
when they decide to sleep it off in their vehicle. Cops charge people
with DUI when they use on-star to call a cab. The list goes on and on.
Cops need to make DUI arrests for their next review.

I have known people in Illinois (Brent P's state) to get a DUI while
sleeping in the back of van because they had the engine on for heat.

There are way too many laws restricting harmless behavior, and way too
many overly aggressive police who get off on being authoritarian.

For all the talk of the US being the "Land of the Free", the people sure
act like sheep.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”-

I think the sheep are basically free, but have been trained from birth
to follow the leader.

It's like Orwell used to say...

"Circus dogs jump when the trainer cracks his whip, but the really
well-trained dog is the one that turns his somersault when there is no
whip" -George Orwell
Old August 30th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

Default Cell phone junkies are as bad as drunks!

On Aug 2, 8:25*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * (Bill Z.) writes:

One might figure that driving like you are drunk for 1 second per hour
is less serious than doing the same thing for 20 minutes per hour: a
difference of a factor of 1200 in the total enhanced risk per hour.
Even if you change stations 6 times per hour, its still a factor of
200 (figuring on 1 second per station change).

Unless one is dealing with a bunch *of
dozy *******s who have to put their
reading glasses on, in order to answer
the phone, while asleep or otherwise
distracted at the wheel. *And hurtling
a ton & a half of machinery down the street,
and hoping to not hit anything in the process.

Reading glasses: I put 'em on to see what I'm
doing, and take 'em off to see where I'm going.
It's a bitch.

I hope you don't run anybody over.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Because I work the graveyard shift, I am at risk of being hit by a
sleepy driver with poor night vision.