Chain recommendations for Ultegra drivetrain

Old March 14th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Default Chain recommendations for Ultegra drivetrain

jim beam wrote:
Jason Spaceman wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a
"master link" so I can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from
time to time. I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either
hollow pin or
non-hollow pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX
link. Which would work better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By
"work better" I mean shift smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

why has nobody bothered to suggest shimano chain? it's cheaper, lasts
great and shifts the best on shimano equipment, unsurprisingly. don't
understand the need to spend more and get less.

Yup. I use Shimano DA with SRAM quick-link. Much quieter than PC-9* IME.