Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Misouri to Destin Florida?

Old April 23rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Misouri to Destin Florida?

I'm kicking around idea of riding bike form Hannibal Mo
down to Destin Florida

The Adventure cycling maps cover "some" of the way
there.... Greta Rivers map set.....

Are they worth getting and using? The set is $24
Old April 23rd 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

TRY THE INVOLVED STATES
each state has a bicycle program. Florida offers a package.
If you go, ask Florida for the state parks brochure
St George State Park, Grayton Beach... outstanding.
redneck riviera nightlife is interesting.
Old April 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

try NYT. enter your search term eg Destin

http://travel.nytimes.com/gst/travel...River&x=8&y=11
Old April 24th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

In Fla try a canoe trip on the Blackwater, beyond category. Camp on
the rivah. There's a livery at the bridge take out.
Road's north of there are rideable including a shot at climbing Fla's
highest Mtn.
The reservoir has showers. Paths going south from that point are red
earth trod by Andrew Jackson Indian Killer. Kee p an eye out for
rattlers,scorpions and turtles.
Old April 24th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 23, 8:07*pm, datakoll wrote:
In Fla try a canoe trip on the Blackwater, beyond category. Camp on
the rivah. There's a livery at the bridge take out.
Road's north of there are rideable including a shot at climbing Fla's
highest Mtn.
The reservoir has showers. Paths going south from that point are red
earth trod by Andrew Jackson Indian Killer. Kee p an eye out for
rattlers,scorpions and turtles.

ooops -

http://www.google.com/search?q=black...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ
Old April 24th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 23, 5:09 pm, wrote:
I'm kicking around idea of riding bike form Hannibal Mo
down to Destin Florida

The Adventure cycling maps cover "some" of the way
there.... Greta Rivers map set.....

Are they worth getting and using? The set is $24

I've used their maps of other routes. They're not absolutely perfect
(we found a few minor errors) but they were still excellent. They
make navigating and planning much, much easier. Absolutely worth the
money.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Adventure Cycling maps good? Hannibal Missouri to Destin Florida?

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
In Fla try a canoe trip on the Blackwater, beyond category. Camp on
the rivah. There's a livery at the bridge take out.
Road's north of there are rideable including a shot at climbing Fla's
highest Mtn.
The reservoir has showers. Paths going south from that point are red
earth trod by Andrew Jackson Indian Killer. Kee p an eye out for
rattlers,scorpions and turtles.

No 'gators looking for meal of cycle tourist?

Old April 24th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Blackwater's ecology is above pure white dune sand. And the sources
are unpolluted. No gators below Kennedy Bridge that I saw. Water is
like weak red zinger tea flowing thru sand dunes under a forest
canopy- some Atlantic white cedar.
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...lack_river.htm
the gators are in the St Johns below Lake George - check that out in
Google Earth
Old April 24th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

THIS JUST IN...

April's warming temperatures typically signal the return of
lifeguards, an influx of spring-breakers and hungry, amorous
alligators sometimes looking for love in all the wrong places.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials say their
phones have been ringing more as worried residents call about
wandering gators or new additions to their backyard ponds.
"This time of year, the alligators are more active than they've been,"
said Joy Hill, commission spokeswoman. "We're approaching mating
season, the weather has gotten warmer, and they are setting up feeding
territories. We normally get more calls at this time of the year."
Two days before a Pinellas County woman came home to find an 8-foot
alligator resting on her kitchen floor, Viera resident Linda Ozzello
called to complain about a gator getting too comfortable near a paved
walking path.
The 8- or 9-foot alligator resting in the retention pond near
Ozzello's Osprey Landing home wasn't bothering anyone. But the pond
lies near a path that children take to Ralph Williams Elementary so
Ozzello and her neighbors didn't want to take a chance.
They called authorities but were surprised to learn it could be a week
before a trapper investigates.
"It really took me aback when they said it could take up to seven
days," Ozzello said. "I sure would hate to have something happen to
one of those little kids between now and when the trapper comes out."
But Hill said that is the typical response time for nonemergency
calls.
"Alligators in the kitchen are an exception. Those are calls we
respond to immediately," she said. "Other calls, where maybe an
alligator is hanging around or gets close to a walking path, would not
necessarily be emergency calls."
Hill explained that nonemergency response time includes contacting a
trapper, issuing a permit and then getting the trapper to fit the
capture into his schedule.
She also downplayed the likelihood of an attack away from the water's
edge.
"They may cross through someone's yard or across a path but it is
unlikely that gator would be there to ambush a person," she said.
Ozzello worries that in the heat of the spring gator mating season,
the reptiles could be more rambunctious.
"I just wasn't happy with the response we got, knowing what season
this is and the type of area we live in," she said.
Linda Collins with the Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program said she
has not seen a drastic increase in the number of calls to her office.
"We've seen a normal rate of increase for this time of year," she
said.
In 2006, 11,661 nuisance alligators were harvested statewide, up from
9,134 in 2005, according to the program's Web site. Alligators were
responsible for three deaths in two weeks in Gainesville, Pinellas
County and in South Florida in 2006. One person was killed last year
swimming across a canal while trying to escape police in the Miami
area.
Staff Writer James Dean contributed to this report.