Why a 29 bicycle?

Old February 26th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why a 29 bicycle?

I'm seeing a lot more bikes with 29b wheels

What's up with that?

What's the advantage and such?
Old February 26th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

easier to run over dead germans
Old February 26th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Why not?

Old February 26th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Feb 25, 7:08*pm, wrote:
I'm seeing a lot more bikes with 29b wheels

What's up with that?

What's the advantage and such?

(no direct experience which has never stopped me before dept.):

I moved to where we live right near the Barton Creek Greenbelt in
Austin, Texas about a year ago. The locals talk up the trail riding in
the greenbelt-- "rock gardens", and so forth. I dogwalk in the 'belt,
as it happens, on a stretch of trail that is said to be difficult.
Roots, rocks galore. The 29'er thing hit big here (I'm kind of nosing
around IRT buying my first own MTB although I did borrow and ride back
in the day in Glenwood Springs Co.).

Some people are selling their Santa Cruz's and Treks and Special-
ated's etc. etc. and going to the 29'ers, some of which have no
suspension, and some, front-only suspension. IOW, wheel size seems to
make a huge difference when it comes to riding over gnarl.

And so, onward with the discussion!
--D-y
Old February 26th 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 25, 7:08 pm, wrote:
I'm seeing a lot more bikes with 29b wheels

What's up with that?

What's the advantage and such?

Proportional wheel sizing for tall folks like me.
Old February 26th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:

On Feb 25, 7:08 pm, wrote:
I'm seeing a lot more bikes with 29b wheels

What's up with that?

What's the advantage and such?

Proportional wheel sizing for tall folks like me.

OK so for someone like me who is average size for a
man.... 5 foot 10 inches..... the 29er might be too
big?
Old February 26th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 26, 9:35*am, wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:08 pm, wrote:
I'm seeing a lot more bikes with 29b wheels

What's up with that?

What's the advantage and such?

Proportional wheel sizing for tall folks like me.

OK so for someone like me who is average size for a
man.... 5 foot 10 inches..... the 29er might be too
big?

No. Ride it and see what you think. FWIW, 26" wheels accelerate faster
and are stronger...or so the memes say.
Old February 26th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 26 Feb, 17:47, landotter wrote:
No. Ride it and see what you think. FWIW, 26" wheels accelerate faster
and are stronger...or so the memes say.

Certainly so, if they are made with rims and equal number of spokes,
all of the same material and cross section.
I have a TT bike with a 26" front wheel. Don' know why but it rides
like a jewel.

Sergio
Pisa