What good does a 'horn' do for a traditional bike seat?

Old March 11th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default What good does a 'horn' do for a traditional bike seat?

Per TBerk:
I saw a wide but short front-to-back bike seat at Target off all
places. No horn in front. Super wide.

Why would every seat, well almost every seat, most every seat from who
knows when need a horn on it?

Rhetorical question; when you go sit on a fence, do you normally
straddle it or do you sit at a 90 degree angle?

The fence is stable. Your bike moves from side-to-side:
hopefully because you made it.

The horn is useful for the thighs to press against when out of
the saddle - adding to control of the bike.

--
PeteCresswell
Old March 11th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Mar 9, 8:09*pm, TBerk wrote:
I started brainstorming a new kind of seat, only to discover that
others had beat me to most of the problem solving/'been there
already...'.

So, why shouldn't I just hacksaw off that part in the front that
sticks out anyway? (Wait, that doesn't read right.)

I saw a wide but short front-to-back bike seat at Target off all
places. No horn in front. Super wide.

Why would every seat, well almost every seat, most every seat from who
knows when need a horn on it?

Rhetorical question; when you go sit on a fence, do you normally
straddle it or do you sit at a 90 degree angle?

TBerk

Think of riding and controlling a horse, straddling it and then think
of doing the same thing riding sidesaddle...same for a bike. Lots more
control using the 'horn'. If you're just pedaling down to the coffee
shop on your fat tired, cruiser thing, who cares but if you are riding
a road or mountain bike, the 'horn' is essential for the best control.
Old March 11th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 10, 7:06*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per TBerk:

I saw a wide but short front-to-back bike seat at Target off all
places. No horn in front. Super wide.

Why would every seat, well almost every seat, most every seat from who
knows when need a horn on it?

Rhetorical question; when you go sit on a fence, do you normally
straddle it or do you sit at a 90 degree angle?

The fence is stable. *Your bike moves from side-to-side:
hopefully because you made it.

The horn is useful for the thighs to press against when out of
the saddle - adding to control of the bike.

Your thighs press against the nose of the saddle when riding standing
up? When sitting they do, but standing up?

--
PeteCresswell

Old March 12th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

or prescribe other forms giving a landing area and avoiding medial
thigh rub - the T seat's success.
the scan, off course !! bring ura saddle.
Dr Minkow ??
Old March 12th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

On Mar 10, 7:57*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:27*pm, TBerk wrote:

On Mar 9, 7:14*pm, jim beam wrote:

cT = 1.0

???http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computed_tomography

Coefficient of Trolling. He thinks you're asking the question to stir
up muck, not to get serious answers.

Ah. Thx. I refute that assessment.

This may not get serious answers but it was begun with a serious
question.

TBerk
Old March 12th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

On Mar 9, 8:38*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
snip

Rhetorical question; when you go sit on a fence, do you normally
straddle it or do you sit at a 90 degree angle?

TBerk

Dumbass,

Most people don't try to pedal a fence.

There is a seat on a bike to sit upon, as do many people when they
intend to stay upon a fence as well. That is, sit. Right back at'cha.

TBerk

Old March 12th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

'Still', Pete, and P. all seemed to correspond to what my friend said,
he who I 1st broached this question to. I think I'm going to modify
an old seat and do some real life info gathering. I if find it
interesting I'll report back.

(I'm still thinking there is something better than that standard road
bike seat as a default.)

TBerk
Old March 12th 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"TBerk" wrote in message

'Still', Pete, and P. all seemed to correspond to what my friend said,
he who I 1st broached this question to. I think I'm going to modify
an old seat and do some real life info gathering. I if find it
interesting I'll report back.

(I'm still thinking there is something better than that standard road
bike seat as a default.)

You're not alone in your thinking - there are several suppliers of saddles
without horns. Their web pages say similar things to you - that there had to
be something better than the traditional saddle shape, and they've found
it - and have testimonials from Mr and Mrs Goatcheese of Iowa to support
them.

If you're just pottering around in an upright position, they may work.

(Mr Jute has used one for several years, and said it was really great, why
does anybody need the horn? Mr Jute has just bought a traditional Brooks
saddle...)