Chain recommendations for Ultegra drivetrain

Old March 12th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default Chain recommendations for Ultegra drivetrain

I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master link" so I
can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to time.

I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or non-hollow
pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX link. Which would work
better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By "work better" I mean shift
smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

Old March 12th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 11, 7:29 pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master link" so I
can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to time.

I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or non-hollow
pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX link. Which would work
better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By "work better" I mean shift
smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

Get whichever one's on sale. Your shifting has more to do with how the
bike is dialed. Given the same cycles of wear with nearly identical
materials, the wear wil be similar. It's a consumable. Try both.

For example--I was a KMC guy for a while, but the LBS got some bulk
SRAM chains and I finally got hang of the quick link, so now I'm a
SRAM guy. Fickle fickle. ;-)

The SRAM sounds smoother when I ride beside parked cars. ;-)

Alternately, get the cute one.
Old March 12th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Mar 11, 6:29*pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). *I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master link" so I
can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to time. *

I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or non-hollow
pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX link. *Which would work
better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? *By "work better" I mean shift
smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

Get the least expensive compatible chain..with a snap link. Either
chain company make great lower end 9s chains that work great. You gain
nothing in terms of performance or reliability by getting a more
expensive chain They are consumables, like cogsets.
Old March 12th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master link" so I
can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to time.

I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or non-hollow
pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX link. Which would work
better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By "work better" I mean shift
smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

Get the least expensive compatible chain..with a snap link. Either
chain company make great lower end 9s chains that work great. You gain
nothing in terms of performance or reliability by getting a more
expensive chain They are consumables, like cogsets.

By not choosing the lighter hollow pin and cut-out side-plate SRAM
chain, Jason will lose the race before he even starts.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 13th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

wrote:
[...]

More races are lost due to equipment than won. Ask David Millar.
Old March 13th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Peter Chisholm wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Please Honor The Signature Separator, i.e. "-- ".

More races are lost due to equipment than won. Ask David Millar.

I was making a reference to a recent thread on this group that went well
over 1000 postings. Note the tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Old March 14th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_3_]

Jason Spaceman wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master link" so I
can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to time.

I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or non-hollow
pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX link. Which would work
better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By "work better" I mean shift
smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

why has nobody bothered to suggest shimano chain? it's cheaper, lasts
great and shifts the best on shimano equipment, unsurprisingly. don't
understand the need to spend more and get less.

Old March 14th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:
Jason Spaceman wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master
link" so I can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to
time.
I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow pin or
non-hollow pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the ConneX
link. Which would work better with a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? By
"work better" I mean shift smoother, resist wearing out, etc.

J. Spaceman

why has nobody bothered to suggest shimano chain? it's cheaper, lasts
great and shifts the best on shimano equipment, unsurprisingly. don't
understand the need to spend more and get less.

Shimano chain is fine as long as one can use someone else's quick link
[1], and not the stupid Shimano "break-off" pins.

[1] Works great IME with SRAM links and 7/8-speed Shimano chain.

Old March 14th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Jason Spaceman wrote:
I need a new chain for my road bike (Trek 5200 with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain). I'd like to get one of them fancy chains with a "master
link" so I can remove the chain for a thorough cleaning from time to
time. I've narrowed it down to either a SRAM PC-991 (either hollow
pin or non-hollow pin), or a Wippermann 908 nickel plated with the
ConneX link. Which would work better with a 9-speed Ultegra
drivetrain? By "work better" I mean shift smoother, resist wearing
out, etc.

J. Spaceman

why has nobody bothered to suggest shimano chain? it's cheaper, lasts
great and shifts the best on shimano equipment, unsurprisingly. don't
understand the need to spend more and get less.

Shimano chain is fine as long as one can use someone else's quick link
[1], and not the stupid Shimano "break-off" pins.

they're not "stupid" - they're a very good engineering solution. i've
never had one fail, and i love to cross-chain.

that said tho, they're not idiot proof on installation, and the user
needs to actually bother to read the instructions. but i'll take that
over a "quick link" that grinds because it has a poor side plate
profile, or that springs apart when freewheeling on bumpy terrain.

[1] Works great IME with SRAM links and 7/8-speed Shimano chain.