First rollers?

Old March 12th 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Default First rollers?

Peter Grange wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:03:34 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

There is momentum, but it is so little the bike does not move forward
more than a tiny bit if you come off the rollers, as long as you stop
pedalling.

OK Thanks. Like I said, I've never tried it personally.

Theory helps here too. The worst case would be if all the kinetic energy
in the wheels (assuming all their mass is at the rims) then the ratio of
the wheel's speed to your final velocity down the hall will be the
square root of the ratio your mass to that of the wheels.
If you and the bike are 80kg the wheels are 2kg and you're going at
30mph on the rollers then it's going to be brisk walking pace for your
helper to catch up with you.
In reality half of the energy will be wasted by friction between the
tiles and tyres, leaving an annoying little mark on the hall floor that
you will moving away from at 3.4 mph

To be honest that's a bit more than I had expected. Did I go wrong
somewhere?
Roger Thorpe
Old March 12th 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jolly Polly

OK Thanks. Like I said, I've never tried it personally.

Theory helps here too. The worst case would be if all the kinetic energy
in the wheels (assuming all their mass is at the rims) then the ratio of
the wheel's speed to your final velocity down the hall will be the
square root of the ratio your mass to that of the wheels.
If you and the bike are 80kg the wheels are 2kg and you're going at
30mph on the rollers then it's going to be brisk walking pace for your
helper to catch up with you.
In reality half of the energy will be wasted by friction between the
tiles and tyres, leaving an annoying little mark on the hall floor that
you will moving away from at 3.4 mph

To be honest that's a bit more than I had expected. Did I go wrong
somewhere?

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

they are quite expensive for what they are though
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0007M4I8G/
Old March 12th 09, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Jolly Polly wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

But after a while you can do this!
........or at least think it possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm...eature=related

Roger Thorpe
Old March 12th 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Peter Grange wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 03:13:07 -0700 (PDT), Nige Danton
wrote:

On Mar 12, 4:34 pm, Peter Grange wrote:

If the back wheel's revolving when you come off the rollers, as soon
as it hits the ground you're going to head off smartly forwards I

If I come off the rollers although the wheels will be spinning I won't
have any momentum and so will just fall over.

W-e-l-l I have no personal experience (others here will have I
suspect) but if you think there's no momentum involved try turning the
bike upside down, crank the back wheel up to speed, then put your hand
on the tyre to stop it. Be sure to wear a helmet though in case you
hurt your hand :-)

Would not a helmet prevent 85% of all hand injuries in this situation?
Or was that 69% of all hand injuries?

Seriously, a heavy cow hide or pig skin glove should be used if one
tries this.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 12th 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jolly Polly

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Jolly Polly wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

But after a while you can do this!
.......or at least think it possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm...eature=related

True enough Roger, after some practice /or a lot for some of us/

This is a good idea, 'free motion rollers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2yvBo8EMQ

Old March 12th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:59:16 +0000, Jolly Polly
wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

That video is why people should learn to ride rollers -- for the
skill.
Old March 12th 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Jolly lolly wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Jolly Polly wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

But after a while you can do this!
.......or at least think it possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm...eature=related

True enough Roger, after some practice /or a lot for some of us/

This is a good idea, 'free motion rollers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2yvBo8EMQ

Fascinating. He's gone to a lot of trouble there.
To be honest, if someone has suggested those side-wheels to keep you on
then I would have said that they'd be guaranteed to knock you off.
Clearly I would have been wrong.

lots of roller related fun there on you tube. What a mad, diverse world
it is!
Roger Thorpe
Old March 12th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:22:17 +0000, Jolly Polly
wrote:

This is a good idea, 'free motion rollers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2yvBo8EMQ

Whoa --clever and interesting set-up and video. Many nice details on
those rollers.
Old March 12th 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Mar 12, 6:59*am, Jolly Polly wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended the
fork standhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

Video entitled "How to do everything (almost) wrong".

I used a kitchen "hallway", where there was a narrow entrance to the
kitchen, with countertop on one side, wall on the other.
In moments of distress, bounce off the wall and/or put a hand on the
counter. Bottles, etc. on the counter. TV available.

Yeah, like Video Dufus there figured out, hands on the tops to start.
Big chainring, near middle cog, object being to quickly get the wheels
spinning fast, which helps with balance. That's the first trick. Then
you can go on to changing hand positions, changing gears, riding no
hands, taking off/putting on shirts/jersies, juggling, whatever.

Resistance units are fine; I used big gears (58t ring) back in the
day. Also used a metronome for "fun with cadences" activities.

IMHO, rollers are less for "power" (stationary trainer there), more
for finesse. Again IMHO, roller riding is one of those cycling things
that any/every rider should develop their potential at in order to
increase skill level, including learning to pedal hard with a relaxed
upper body, and being able to pedal in a straight line. While
juggling, if necessary g.

I don't know anything about the rollers you're looking at. The
standard are Kreitler, with aluminum end caps-- and I'd get the 4.5"
size, in interest of being a little easier on the tires. Note Krietler
offers a resistance unit that also gives a cooling breeze.

drums.http://www.kreitler.com/product.php?
section=product&item=rollers_4_5

Expensive new, but they can be found slightly used much cheaper. --D-y
Old March 12th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Rob Morley

Jolly Polly wrote:

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Jolly Polly wrote:

Watch this 2 minute video and you'll appreciate why I recommended
the fork stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

But after a while you can do this!
.......or at least think it possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm...eature=related

True enough Roger, after some practice /or a lot for some of us/

This is a good idea, 'free motion rollers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2yvBo8EMQ

Probably based on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYDZ-RSOTA&NR=1

1 hr on rollers = ??? toadman General 4 March 11th 06 12:51 AM
WTB: Rollers vanderaerden Marketplace 0 November 21st 05 03:20 AM
Rollers Dave Chadderton UK 3 January 9th 05 10:43 PM
WTD: Rollers paul.obinson24 UK 22 December 29th 03 08:09 PM
training wheels for rollers revisited -- front roller placement, steel pipe rollers F1 Techniques 1 November 25th 03 04:46 PM