Velokraft vs. Baron, Jester, etc. Your thoughts?

Old November 12th 03, 09:49 AM
Mark Leuck

Default Velokraft vs. Baron, Jester, etc. Your thoughts?

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote in message
OK as promised (To my Friend(?) Ed Dolan) here's a fresh post inviting
anyone's thoughts about the new LR kid on the block; the Velokraft. (It's
been a HOT Topic in the BROL HPV message board. So, I invite opinions on

if
Barons, Taifun's, Jester's and other presently used LR's are going to

start
showing up in the For Sale ad's, due to this (VK) 19 lb carbon fiber
beastie?
EZ (I want to add a LR to my stable) Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl.

(Bacchetta
Aero Pilot)

I wanted a Jester, ended up getting a Baron and couldn't be happier

Old November 12th 03, 11:08 AM
Dave Larrington

Mark Leuck wrote:

I wanted a Jester, ended up getting a Baron and couldn't be happier

I wanted a Baron and got, er, a Baron. I'm dubious as to whether the loss
of a few pounds off the bike and a couple of thousand off my wallet will
make me significantly faster.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old November 12th 03, 05:01 PM
Bill B

Hey EZ. Why don't you go visit your neighbor JIM. He has a VK that is
built up to the hilt.His other bike is a baron. He also just built a
wicked carbon baron clone that is complete and waiting to be
painted.Check him out if you don't already know him.

http://www.jjscozzi.com/
Old November 12th 03, 05:40 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Thanks Bill, I've been in contact with Jim and we've sent e-mails back and
fourth. He's close to having his VK2 completed and will be posting picts.
As for my post here, I'm just trying to get a sample of thoughts and
opinions about the VK and LR's in general. LOVE my Aero, but still am
thinking of "Adding" a LR to the stable.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

om...

Old November 12th 03, 05:58 PM
John Foltz

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:Niisb.176657$Fm2.158685@attbi_s04...
OK as promised (To my Friend(?) Ed Dolan) here's a fresh post inviting
anyone's thoughts about the new LR kid on the block; the Velokraft. (It's
been a HOT Topic in the BROL HPV message board. So, I invite opinions on if
Barons, Taifun's, Jester's and other presently used LR's are going to start
showing up in the For Sale ad's, due to this (VK) 19 lb carbon fiber
beastie?

I think there may be a few due to the VK and the Cobrabike. But both
are low-volume animals, so they're not going to generate any mass
abandonment of aluminum-framed lowracers.
Old November 12th 03, 07:38 PM
harryo

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:Niisb.176657$Fm2.158685@attbi_s04...
OK as promised (To my Friend(?) Ed Dolan) here's a fresh post inviting
anyone's thoughts about the new LR kid on the block; the Velokraft. (It's
been a HOT Topic in the BROL HPV message board. So, I invite opinions on if
Barons, Taifun's, Jester's and other presently used LR's are going to start
showing up in the For Sale ad's, due to this (VK) 19 lb carbon fiber
beastie?

I certainly don't plan on parting with my Baron. It is a proven
commodity and the Velokraft is not. I am not implying that the
Velokraft is not a quality bike. From all appearances it seems it is,
but there just have not been enough of them produced, with enough use,
to establish how they will fare long term, especially for everyday
road use. Again, I am implying nothing about the Velokraft's quality,
but I can't help wondering how any superlight, CF lowracer would hold
up, for extended use, by a clydesdale, like myself.

I also wonder how much weight you will actually save. From reports I
have read, a 19 lb Velokraft is only possible if one is willing to
spend big bucks for the lightest components. Again, I would wonder
about the durability of some of these components for everyday road
use. I have never been a weight weenie and as Dave said, I don't feel
the weight savings of a Velokraft would translate to much of a speed
increase for the riding that I do. Perhaps if one were mainly riding
very hilly to mountainous terrain, there could be an advantage for
climbing but then, IMO, a lowracer is not really an ideal bike for
climbing anyway.

Another problem I see, for the US market, is a single distributor.
Optima ran into this problem when Yellowbike was the sole US dealer.
If a good dealer network is established, any problems could be minimal
but given the nature of the handbuilt, low volume production of the
Velokraft, I don't see this happening. Lowracers, themselves, are a
niche market bike and the superlight CF lowracers are niche market
within that niche market. I really can't envision them becoming
mainstream in the lowracer market.

In the last several years, I have repeatedly heard two lowracers
touted as being the most streetable for everyday use and long distance
road riding. these are the Earthcycles Sunset and the Optima Baron.
The Sunset is no longer in production and there are very limited
numbers available if current owners wished to sell. The Baron is in
production, is easily available and has a proven track record.

Harry
Old November 12th 03, 08:01 PM
Mikael Seierup

"harryo" skrev...
In the last several years, I have repeatedly heard two lowracers
touted as being the most streetable for everyday use and long distance
road riding. these are the Earthcycles Sunset and the Optima Baron.
The Sunset is no longer in production and there are very limited
numbers available if current owners wished to sell. The Baron is in
production, is easily available and has a proven track record.

Calling the VK2 a lowracer is exaggerating a bit IMHO.
Its more of a semilow. I would say it compares with the Baron (not the low version).
Meaning its well suited for road- and cityuse and even touring with a trailer.
I have 4000 km or so on my VK so far and I don't shy away from gravel or forestpaths.

Also superlight as in 19 lbs is more a result of what you put on it componentwise
as you stated. My VK is 24.5 lbs with a carbon M5 tailfaring. I might get it down
to 23.5 lbs or less on the VK2 but again its a question of how much cash I
throw after it.

The Baron is a cool bike. But the Stinger was actually a lot cooler
for me at least when I had a chance to try both. Very nice little bike.

Mikael

Old November 13th 03, 05:15 AM
harryo

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message ...

Calling the VK2 a lowracer is exaggerating a bit IMHO.
Its more of a semilow. I would say it compares with the Baron (not the low version).
Meaning its well suited for road- and cityuse and even touring with a trailer.
I have 4000 km or so on my VK so far and I don't shy away from gravel or forestpaths.

I consider any bike that you can support by putting a hand down, while
staying clipped in, a lowracer. You can do this on a Baron and it
appears that it can also be done on the Velokraft.

The geometry of the Velokraft does look quite similar to a Baron and
Jester, which certainly isn't a bad thing. This similarity and the
similar seat height, which is higher than the more extreme lowracers,
should make the Velokraft a very "streetable" bike.

Mikael, is your bike, the VK2, the second generation frame with the
larger cross section from the original? How would you rate the
stiffness of the frame?

Harry

Old November 13th 03, 08:11 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Tom Sherman" skrev

What type of person rides a carbon fiber lowracer wearing blue jeans?

Hey it was friggin March ;-) And there was a cafestop included AFAIK.
I don't always feel like looking like an escaped balletdancer in those tights.

M.
Old November 13th 03, 08:13 AM
Mikael Seierup

"harryo" skrev

Mikael, is your bike, the VK2, the second generation frame with the
larger cross section from the original? How would you rate the
stiffness of the frame?

Nope VK1 so far. Will be a VK2 in about 3 weeks.

M.