Taxi Fares - Tax Deductable?

Old December 12th 03, 10:06 AM
[Not Responding]

Default Taxi Fares - Tax Deductable?

Looks like I'll be using a lot of taxis when I get back to work. The
docs have told me I probably won't be using my arm for 2 or 3 months.

My company doesn't (generally) allow taxi fares to be claimed as
expenses on the basis that people who need to travel will use a hire
car, a company car or their own car paid for with the cash
alternative.

If I take the cash alternative I am taxed on it. But if I then make a
business trip (not a commute) by taxi, can I claim some (or all) of
that expense back on my next tax return?

Any tax gurus out there?

I'm not worried about additional travel cost while injured as that'll
go on any insurance claim.

I'm using the opportunity of my knackered arm to explore the
possibility of getting rid of the car altogether. As I am going to be
a 100% non driver for a while it would be a shame to revert once I get
repaired.
Old December 12th 03, 10:37 AM
Tony Raven

[Not Responding] wrote:
Looks like I'll be using a lot of taxis when I get back to work. The
docs have told me I probably won't be using my arm for 2 or 3 months.

My company doesn't (generally) allow taxi fares to be claimed as
expenses on the basis that people who need to travel will use a hire
car, a company car or their own car paid for with the cash
alternative.

If I take the cash alternative I am taxed on it. But if I then make a
business trip (not a commute) by taxi, can I claim some (or all) of
that expense back on my next tax return?

Yes, you can claim tax back on valid expenses.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/emp2003/480-03.pdf

7.1 An employee may claim a deduction for tax purposes from remuneration
for the cost of journeys he or she has to make in the performance of the
duties of the employment, or to a workplace he or she has to attend to carry
out the duties of the employment, but not if the journey is ordinary commuting
or private travel.

The employee may also claim a deduction for any other expenses which are
incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the duties
of the employment.

Tony

Old December 12th 03, 10:45 AM
Ian

[Not Responding] scribed with passion and wit:

[...]

How about a trike with linked brakes?
--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old December 12th 03, 12:42 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:06:56 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
wrote:

My company doesn't (generally) allow taxi fares to be claimed as
expenses on the basis that people who need to travel will use a hire
car, a company car or their own car paid for with the cash
alternative.

Are they not making an exception in the case of your temporary
disability?

If I take the cash alternative I am taxed on it. But if I then make a
business trip (not a commute) by taxi, can I claim some (or all) of
that expense back on my next tax return?

Yes, in my experience. But you might want talk to the tax inspector
to find out which box to put it in, because although the tax form
looks clear I managed to get it wrong last year and ended up being
taxed on my expenses reimbursements.

Years ago I knew a guy who was banned for DUI. He hired a local
teenager to drive him around for a year - he managed to claim it back
off his tax!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk