Dulwich Bans Children from Cycling to School

Old July 4th 10, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

Default Dulwich Bans Children from Cycling to School

Apologies for the Crispin level of accuracy in the Subject line but as
it his fiefdom I couldn't resist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ool-alone.html

Old July 4th 10, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
Apologies for the Crispin level of accuracy in the Subject line but as
it his fiefdom I couldn't resist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ool-alone.html

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went with
them, at least to the school gates.

Old July 4th 10, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:13:08 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went with
them, at least to the school gates.

Bull****. I made my way to school unaccompanied at that age.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed
Old July 4th 10, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went
with
them, at least to the school gates.

Bull****. I made my way to school unaccompanied at that age.

So did I.

In fact I seem to recall going alone from the age when my older sister had
left junior's which was when I must have been about the age of 8.

But things were different back then. There was far less traffic and more
importantly, drivers drove far less aggressively.

Old July 4th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

wrote:

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went
with
them, at least to the school gates.

Bull****. I made my way to school unaccompanied at that age.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are
guaranteed
to be worth the price paid.

Sadly in the intervening decades the world HAS changed for the worse - and
it is not just road safety that is the issue

pk

Old July 4th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:21:36 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Bull****. I made my way to school unaccompanied at that age.

As did I, from the age of 5, on the tram.

--
Alex
Old July 4th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

On 04/07/2010 17:13, mileburner wrote:
"Peter wrote in message
Apologies for the Crispin level of accuracy in the Subject line but as
it his fiefdom I couldn't resist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ool-alone.html

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went with
them, at least to the school gates.

Good grief. Mine were walked to school the first few weeks so they knew
the various ways available, and were confident they knew them, then they
walked to school on their own from year 1. I had to travel 13 miles to
school on buses from that age in the early 60's. When they could cycle
competantly they were allowed to cycle, or not, as they wished. They
had to cross one main road, the rest of the journey on housing estate
roads, a journey of about two miles.

Too much cosseting makes the world an 'apparently' more dangerous place
than it actually is, IMHO.

Also IMHO, I think some of the best things we can teach our kids is a
sense of independance, and an awareness of surroundings and people.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old July 4th 10, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Peter wrote in message
Apologies for the Crispin level of accuracy in the Subject line but as
it his fiefdom I couldn't resist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ool-alone.html

Apart from the cycling, children of 8 and 5 should not even be walking to
school alone. Mine were all year 6 (last year of juniors age 10+) before
they had that level of independence, and if they wanted to cycle I went
with
them, at least to the school gates.

Good grief. Mine were walked to school the first few weeks so they knew
the various ways available, and were confident they knew them, then they
walked to school on their own from year 1.

I am truly astounded that any reasonable parent would allow a child at age 5
or 6, in infants school, to walk to school alone, unless they lived so close
to the school that they could see them get to the school gates.

Besides, at infant school now, they do not allow the child out unless there
is somone to collect them.

Old July 4th 10, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Peter Parry wrote:

Apologies for the Crispin level of accuracy in the Subject line but as
it his fiefdom I couldn't resist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ool-alone.html

I am sure that many people will feel like rushing to the defence of the
couple in the story (especially as it looks as though their adversaries are
social w**kers), but IMHO, that would be the wrong side to take.

I have suggested on earlier occasions that allowing an 8-yr-old child (let
alone a 5-yr-old) out unsupervised onto the highway - in London at that - on
a bicycle - is a form of child neglect. I'm not often of the side of social
service departments, but here, I'm certain that they have it about right. The
parents should get off their backsides and take those young children to school.