Boy killed in mountain biking accident named

Old May 21st 10, 05:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Boy killed in mountain biking accident named

On May 20, 11:17*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On May 20, 9:15*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message

On May 20, 3:15 pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

On May 20, 7:48 am, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

... and Vandeman does his Happy Dance over the sad report.

Where is the evidence? I know you don't know what that is. Ask your
mommie.

JS
For an intellectual elite, you sound an awful lot like a 3rd Grader.

/JS
He hangs around with Ed "Walt Whitman" Dolan. *That should tell you

everything.

Bruce Jenson is a blood thirsty moron who delights in seeing wolves eating a
live deer. He is nothing but a frustrated hunter who pretends he knows
something about wildlife when in reality he does not know his own ass.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I know that you ARE an ASS ;-).

Bruce is like one of those windup dolls. No, I take it back. Bruce IS
a windup doll! I wind you up, and you perform predictably, every
single time. Here we go again! Watch Bruce perform! Ed and I are the
only people who provide any original, worthwhile content in these
newsgroups. We play guys like you as the toys that you are.
Old May 21st 10, 05:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On May 21, 9:33*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

newsgroups. We play guys like you as the toys that you are.- Hide quoted text -

"Family friendly" sport, eh?

Mike

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/scho...-death-3562801

School reels after biking death

Published: 3:41PM Friday May 21, 2010

Source: NZPA

Source: Thinkstock

A Gisborne school community is reeling from the tragic loss of a
student, after an 11-year-old died in a freak accident on Wednesday
night.

Campion College year seven student Leo Te Kira was with friends riding
along mountain bike trails when he lost control on a steep decline and
went over a bank. He was taken to Gisborne Hospital with serious
injuries but died several hours later.

Campion College principal Paul McGuinness says his death has been very
traumatic for staff and students.

"You never expect anything like this. It very much comes out of the
blue," he says.

"Any sudden death is a tragedy and causes great heartache. But when it
is a young person, it is even more severe."

He joined the school at the start of the year as a Year 7 student and
was well-loved by his peers, says McGuinness.

"His classroom teacher would describe Leo as a perfect student.

"He was very friendly and was loved by all of the other students.

"He was always looking to support and help others in the class and was
conscientious in all the work he did."

Students at the school are being offered support and counselling
services.

"We found out yesterday morning and gathered the students together for
a prayer service, and told them as much as we knew. We led them in a
prayer for Leo and for his family," says McGuinness.

"The whole school will keep Leo and his family in their prayers."

The school will liaise with the Te Kira family on how they wish to
proceed.
Old May 22nd 10, 02:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Canoeist killed by whale not named

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Very good, Mike. Another media piece from New Zealand.

I wonder what impact your new crusade to keep the spotlight of public
opinion
focused on activities there will have.

Now, for your enjoyment, here's a media piece from a little closer to
home...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...izescanoe.html

The Seattle Time

Originally published April 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM
Page modified April 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Whale capsizes canoe off Mass. coast, drowning man

The Associated Press
PROVINCETOWN, Mass. —

A man canoeing in the ocean waters off Massachusetts has
died after the vessel came in contact with one or more
whales and capsized.

The accident occurred Wednesday morning in Cape Cod's
Provincetown Harbor. A second man in the canoe survived.

The Coast Guard says a vessel owned by a local boat
rental company pulled the men from the water, but
paramedics were unable to revive one of them. The
man's name was not immediately released.

The survivor told authorities that the 12-foot canoe
came in contact with at least one whale that surfaced.
Investigators believe it was a pod of pilot whales - or
possibly dolphins.

The Cape and Islands District Attorney's office is investigating.

You miss the point entirely of what Mr. Vandeman is trying to accomplish.
Mountain biking on single track hiking trails is promoted as a safe and
family friendly activity, yet it is actually quite dangerous. The activities
you site which result in death are not promoted that way at all. Ocean
canoeing? Skateboarding?

Old May 22nd 10, 04:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

[...]

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...68254_apuswhal...

[...]

oooh - DANGER!
Old May 22nd 10, 10:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On May 21, 11:13*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On May 21, 6:37*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Bob Berger" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

hey i just found out Mike V. has ridden a mountain bike before he told
me so seriously hahahaha.
Old May 22nd 10, 10:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On May 22, 5:43*pm, wrote:
On May 21, 11:13*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:

On May 21, 6:37*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Bob Berger" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

Mike Vandeman
More options May 21, 12:26 pm
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
From: Mike Vandeman
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: I love Mountain Biking, it is a good way to see the
wilderness, the uninhabited wilderness...
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
On May 20, 3:49 pm, wrote:

So any thoughts, i like mountain biking and some haters make me want
to do it even more.

The one time I rode a mountain bike (on a fire road) in a park was the
most BORING, UNPLEASANT experience I have ever had in a park. You guys
must have a pretty boring life,to find that exciting! About as
exciting as a rock's life. Kind of like Tom Sherman.
Old May 24th 10, 06:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Karamba

On May 20, 12:37*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
The guys who started and continue to promote this sport are truly
SICK! They should all be held responsible for this.

Why do you care? You hate children anyway - you can not have your
own.

Old May 24th 10, 06:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Karamba

However, it goes without saying that hiking is much more enjoyable than
cycling when it comes to wilderness.

Wrong on all counts.
Old May 24th 10, 08:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Karamba" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

However, it goes without saying that hiking is much more enjoyable than
cycling when it comes to wilderness.

Wrong on all counts.

Nope, the slower you go the more you see and experience. Speed is the enemy.
When I hike I like to walk slowly. But the very best thing to do is to STOP!
Yea, just stop and look around you. That is as good as it gets!

Old May 24th 10, 12:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

On May 24, 3:22*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Karamba" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:
However, it goes without saying that hiking is much more enjoyable than
cycling when it comes to wilderness.

Wrong on all counts.

Nope, the slower you go the more you see and experience. Speed is the enemy.
When I hike I like to walk slowly. But the very best thing to do is to STOP!
Yea, just stop and look around you. That is as good as it gets!

The slower you go, the longer you will be disturbing wildlife, how is
that good for them?

Hikers are also more apt to litter and defecate in wildlife habitat,
especially when they STOP! so how is hiking any more beneficial to
wildlife than mountian-biking?