First Helmet : jury is out.

Old May 10th 04, 09:32 AM
Walter Mitty

Default First Helmet : jury is out.

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.
Old May 10th 04, 09:56 AM
Peter Keller

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:32:56 +0200, Walter Mitty wrote:

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

When our Mandatory Helmet Law came in in 1994 I complied, even though I
was dubious. (Very few data then, just a lot of handwringing and 'it will
save costs in the long run --') I also thought the helmet would detract
from road and traffic awareness, hearing etc. I found actually that my
hearing was enhanced, so that I often thought a car was behind me where
there wasn't one. (Perhaps "distorted" is a better word).
Statistics about whether helmets help in the overall scheme of things seem
to be very confused and contradictory, which is probably just another
way of saying that helmets have a very minor part to play in overall
safety of bicycling. However, they make fertile fodder for yet another
"Helmet war"!!! And you are right, they are very uncomfortable and
irritating.
So I would like the mandatory law repealed and leave it up to the
individual, and encourage measures for bicycling safety which really work.

Peter

--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products
were used in its preparation or propagation.

Old May 10th 04, 11:21 AM
Derek Torrington

My first helmet , in 1982, was bulky and un-comfortable. So it spent
all of its time on the top shelf in the closet.
One afternoon in 1987 I'm out tearing around the hilly part of my
favorite loop when my front tire hit a small rock. This upset the
bike just enough to spill me over to the side at 18 mph. I landed on
my head, followed by elbow, shoulder, and thigh. The guys that helped
me out were alarmed at the amount of blood coming from my head and my
in-coherence.
Seems that when my head hit the pavement, my hair tore some skin away
from my scalp, and the ER doc described "darning" it back together
with sutures.
Funny how the memory of getting gravel picked out of my head , along
with other details is still vivid 17 years later.
My current helmet is light and far more comfortable than was available
22 years ago. I don't leave home without it.
When I wear a winter hat under it (on those cooold rides!) I lose
quite a bit of my awareness, otherwise I don't even notice it.
Derek

Old May 10th 04, 11:21 AM
Roger Zoul

Walter Mitty wrote:
:: Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
:: encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before :
:: don't think I will again.
::
:: The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than
:: offsets the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting
:: from my usual spacial awareness.

What noise and irritation? Regardless of any merits about safety, I find my
helmet comfortable. If I ride without it, I feel as though I'm not wearing
my seatbelt.

::
:: I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help
:: in a spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the %
:: increase in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

Surely you can imagine the sitaution in a spill were a helmet might help.
Even if it won't save my life in a full head collision with the road, I'll
take what little protection it does offer. Given all the riding I plan to
do my options seem limited. 1) come away dead, 2) come away extremely messed
up, 3) come away with some skin removed and some stuff broken. So if my
helmet helps with situation 3, I'll be happy. In either of the other two
options, the helmet thing will be a moot point.

Plus, it looks cool....bicycle peacock thing.....IMO.

Old May 10th 04, 11:51 AM
Gooserider

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

Geez, now you did it. :-)

Old May 10th 04, 12:57 PM
Walter Mitty

Peter Keller wrote:

When our Mandatory Helmet Law came in in 1994 I complied, even though I
was dubious. (Very few data then, just a lot of handwringing and 'it will
save costs in the long run --') I also thought the helmet would detract
from road and traffic awareness, hearing etc. I found actually that my
hearing was enhanced, so that I often thought a car was behind me where
there wasn't one. (Perhaps "distorted" is a better word).

Most certainly is distorted!
Old May 10th 04, 02:08 PM
Pbwalther

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't seem to have that problem. Of course, after wearing my helmet so
routinely, I barely notice it even with it on.
Old May 10th 04, 02:26 PM
maxo

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:32:56 +0200, Walter Mitty wrote:

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

I've walked away from two accidents because of cheap, but effective $20
Bell helmets, and I've also had a hundred facial stitches and dental
reconstruction because I didn't wear one...

Fit is everything, I've got a huge melon and the cheap Bells actually fit
me the best. I don't even feel like I'm wearing anything, and they keep
the rain off of my glasses, the sun off of my shaved skull, and best of
all redirect the sweat from my eyes.

Fit fit fit! You really shouldn't be buggered by the thing, and it
should "disappear" after a couple minutes of use. Make sure it sits low
enough in front and you don't wear it like a bloody yarmulke.

I do think those old "leather hairnets" looked a hell of a lot cooler
though!

It's your choice certainly--I often do go helmetless for a short jaunts
and I'm aware of the risks, but do try out a few more lids.

btw, I'm not really accident prone--just put in a lot of urban miles and
a lot of night miles (with full lights, but still...)
Old May 10th 04, 03:14 PM
Badger_South

wrote:

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

I wear my bike helmet for one reason only. It's black, and it seems to
scare the peds on the bike trail when I come zipping by. (I'm thinking of
adding viking horns).

-B