Home-made BC

Old September 6th 05, 02:02 AM
Spudman

Default Home-made BC

I was feeling kind of board today and so I decided to make use of one of
the bikes laying around my yard. I poped off the front wheel and did
some searching around in my garage until I foud some suitable plates to
put on (yes, they were just lying there). After a little machine work
and some duct tape on the holes in the tube, I had a new wheel.

To my surprise, it took me almost no time to learn to ride it. I set up
some chairs and pushed off and half an hour later I could go thirty feet
(impressive for only having twenty feet of concrete).

One thing i found odd, though: If you look at the picture, I ride with
my knees locked. Whenever I see any other people do it, their knees are
bent. Am I defective?

| Attachment filename: wheelrider.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/357352|

Spudman - New here.

If dolphins are so smart, then why do they live in igloos?
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Old September 7th 05, 03:51 AM
J Forbes

Spudman wrote:
I was feeling kind of board today and so I decided to make use of one of
the bikes laying around my yard. I poped off the front wheel and did
some searching around in my garage until I foud some suitable plates to
put on (yes, they were just lying there). After a little machine work
and some duct tape on the holes in the tube, I had a new wheel.

To my surprise, it took me almost no time to learn to ride it. I set up
some chairs and pushed off and half an hour later I could go thirty feet
(impressive for only having twenty feet of concrete).

One thing i found odd, though: If you look at the picture, I ride with
my knees locked. Whenever I see any other people do it, their knees are
bent. Am I defective?

hell yeah, you're defective!

-pops

Old September 7th 05, 05:06 AM
abbabibble

or maybe he just has a better sense of balance that way, and everyone
else is defective?

what size axle does it have and how well does it seem to hold up?

--
abbabibble - uhh...

Cheers,
Mat.
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old September 7th 05, 05:12 AM
J Forbes

abbabibble wrote:
or maybe he just has a better sense of balance that way, and everyone
else is defective?

what size axle does it have and how well does it seem to hold up?

it's a BMX front wheel with a small axle with 10mm threads, only been
ridden a little bit, so it's still holding up well. the angle is 1/4"
steel, quite stout.

http://www.selectric.org/steve/bcwheel.jpg

pops

Old September 7th 05, 05:16 AM
Spudman

I'm not sure how big the axle is... its the front tire off of a
brand-cheesy wal-mart bmx bike (mongoose type i think?). It can't be
that strong, as the bike came with a one piece crank. It hasn't had any
problems yet, no bends.

It does bounce funny if you drop and sometimes the plates will come
unscrewed if you throw it down the street and they hit the ground...

So far so good. I'm taking it to school tomorrow as a "physics project"
(he he). I'l see how well it works there on the handicap ramps.

--
Spudman - We're on a mission from God.

Old September 7th 05, 05:25 AM
abbabibble

and you wouldnt happen to have any more platforms lying around, would
ya?

Old September 7th 05, 05:47 AM
Spudman

Not that I know of. They're probably not that hard to come by though.
There's a surplus store in our town that probably has something that
would work.

Look around in your area. I'm pretty sure you'd find something
somewhere...

Old September 7th 05, 05:54 AM
abbabibble

yeah... i'll figure something out...

i have a welder, so i should go and make them, but i don't have metal. i
have to find metal and ... um,... stuff. and a bigass drill bit... which
i don't have... it prolly costs, like, $15... those things are
expensive. trop cher.

Old September 7th 05, 01:55 PM
nick

nice work!