Help with purchase

Old September 3rd 03, 04:40 AM

Default Help with purchase

Hey all. I am at a turning point in the bike purchasing world. I have 4
options I am looking at: They range in price and function. They are (in no
particular order):
1. Cervelo soloist 105 - ~$1700
2. Trek 2300 (2003) - ~$1500 sale
3. Lemond Buenos Aires - ~$1200 sale
4. Serotta Fierte - ~$2000 (105 group)

I know the cervelo does not really belong in this group but I like the ride.
How will I use my new bike you may ask..... I'm not really sure..... What
I mean is that I will ride, mostly by my self, 10 -15 miles to start more
later. When I get my legs I will ride in groups and maybe a duatholon. But
never to "win" or even compete with anyone but myself.

Please help with opinions. Are the two sale bikes good deals? Should I buy
the serotta just because it is the most expensive. Should I buy the Lemond
because it is the cheapest. They all ride very nice, but I am new at this
and I can't really distinguish between a GREAT ride and a VERY GOOD ride and
I don't want to repurchase next year because I missed something.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old September 3rd 03, 02:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rovergar- Hey all. I am at a turning point in the bike purchasing world.
BRBR

Please help with opinions. Are the two sale bikes good deals? Should I buy
the serotta just because it is the most expensive. BRBR

Only three things to consider, fit, fit and fit..The Serotta should come with a
bike fit, but a fit session on the other ones are essential.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 3rd 03, 09:17 PM
Jeff Starr

wrote in message ...
Hey all. I am at a turning point in the bike purchasing world. I have 4
options I am looking at: They range in price and function. They are (in no
particular order):
1. Cervelo soloist 105 - ~$1700
2. Trek 2300 (2003) - ~$1500 sale
3. Lemond Buenos Aires - ~$1200 sale
4. Serotta Fierte - ~$2000 (105 group)

Hi, I recently purchased a LeMond Tourmalet, couldn't afford the
Buenos Aires, and am totally happy with it. Others may be able to
offer some real advice, based on comparisons, but I would say that if
the LeMond fits you, you wouldn't be disappointed. You can use the
money you save to purchase some top quality pedals, shoes, and a good
saddle. You will also need to put together a flat repair kit including
tube, patch kit, tire bars, and a pump. Also get yourself a nice
simple multi tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra 17. And finally a
cyclo-computer, get one that does cadence. If I had been aware of the
features, I would have gone with the Shimano Flightdeck, instead my
LBS recommended a Cateye Astrale 8, which works just fine. With the
LeMond be the lowest priced, yet having a really nice steel frame, you
could make a few component changes, if desired.
Life is Good!
Jeff

Old September 3rd 03, 10:08 PM
Jkpoulos7

Please help with opinions. Are the two sale bikes good deals? Should I buy
the serotta just because it is the most expensive. Should I buy the Lemond
because it is the cheapest. They all ride very nice, but I am new at this
and I can't really distinguish between a GREAT ride and a VERY GOOD ride and
I don't want to repurchase next year because I missed something.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I paid that for my Buenos Aires. I found it to ride 95% as well as more
expensive steel bikes so I bought it. The Trek is aluminun and is nowhere near
as comfortable as a Lemond. I have no opinion on the Cervelo and the Serotta is
their mass produced bike. I recommend the Lemond.
Old September 4th 03, 03:31 PM

Bill Brannon's and Peter's posts are right on. If you are taking the
first big step into cycling via this purchase I would suggest Bill has
the right idea, initially, because what you may like as far as a ride
could change in a relatively short time. Buy a good used bike, road,
hybrid, etc. that fits and ride for a while. Peter's advice is right
on - very important for any bike purchase but maybe even more so if
you are going to pop for 1,500 to 2 grand. The bike needs to fit and
have adjustment parameters that can accomodate changes in your riding
ability and style. I recently bought a Bianchi Volpe, on a closeout,
for $650.00. Changed the stem length and put on a diff. saddle. Spent
a week with the allen wrench tweaking my seating and stem. It pays
off. btw that Bianchi was a move down from a 25 year old custom road
frame. Remember bikes that don't fit are like exercise equipment that
doesn't get used. Moves from the house to the garage to who knows
where.