A Word to Recumbent Riders

Old August 22nd 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_12_]

Default A Word to Recumbent Riders

Hey, Tom, In the last week, I have seen two men in motorized wheelchairs
riding down the street. When we are driving, it is up to US not to hit
anyone.

It's also up to the guys in the motorized wheelchairs not to hit you.

And you bring this up---why? Do you really think there is a chance that a
paraplegic in a wheelchair is going to hit my car????

Pat in TX

Old August 22nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 22, 8:43*am, "Pat" wrote:
Hey, Tom, In the last week, I have seen two men in motorized wheelchairs
riding down the street. When we are driving, it is up to US not to hit
anyone.

It's also up to the guys in the motorized wheelchairs not to hit you.

And you bring this up---why? Do you really think there is a chance that a
paraplegic in a wheelchair is going to hit my car????

I don't know - how fast do you drive?

The point was that everyone who is on a road is responsible for their
own actions. You said the same thing earlier. "I guess what I'm
saying is that EVERY road user, regardless of what type of vehicle
they are in, must share in the responsibility of keeping all users
safe."

Old August 22nd 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Papa Tom" wrote:

What utter bull****. Have you ever actually driven a car?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before this conversation ended up
in the gutter. At this point, my friends, I say "Thank you and
goodnight. I'm outta here!"

Did you expect that no one would challenge your silly claim that
recumbents are "too short to be seen" when you can readily see far
shorter things- like the road surface, potholes, lane striping and
arrows, etc.- when you drive?
Old August 22nd 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bluezfolk

On Aug 22, 1:23 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
"Papa Tom" wrote:

What utter bull****. Have you ever actually driven a car?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before this conversation ended up
in the gutter. At this point, my friends, I say "Thank you and
goodnight. I'm outta here!"

Did you expect that no one would challenge your silly claim that
recumbents are "too short to be seen" when you can readily see far
shorter things- like the road surface, potholes, lane striping and
arrows, etc.- when you drive?

Do you see those far shorter things when they are in the lane next to
you on the right? I only see the lines in the road on the left side
of me or in front of me. I think the OP wanted to give a heads up
warning, out of concern for fellow cyclists. One poster is right, its
the motorists responsibility to watch out for other vehicles, so in an
accident the cyclist would probably be right, DEAD RIGHT.
Old August 22nd 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 22, 2:48*pm, bluezfolk wrote:

One poster is right, its
the motorists responsibility to watch out for other vehicles, so in an
accident the cyclist would probably be right, DEAD RIGHT.

Simple equation - mass wins. It goes for trucks and cars, and cars
and bikes.

Old August 23rd 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,

"Papa Tom" wrote:

What utter bull****. Have you ever actually driven a car?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before this conversation
ended up in the gutter. At this point, my friends, I say "Thank
you and goodnight. I'm outta here!"

Did you expect that no one would challenge your silly claim that
recumbents are "too short to be seen" when you can readily see far
shorter things- like the road surface, potholes, lane striping and
arrows, etc.- when you drive?

Do you see those far shorter things when they are in the lane next to
you on the right?

Since I saw them on approach, I know those things are there. Doesn't
anyone in this thread actually drive a car? Or are you all too busy
talking on the cell phone or eating lunch or otherwise doing something
that takes our attention away from where it belongs?

I have never yet collided with a cyclist on my right when driving. I
have been cut off by inattentive drivers turning right (I am 6'4" and
ride a standard road bike, not a recumbent) who had passed me and still
paid no notice to my presence.

My friend Don converted to a recumbent last year and has told me that he
finds that drivers pay more attention to him, give greater clearance and
generally treat him better than on his upright road bikes.

As a rider, at the age of 13 I once collided with a moving car into the
passenger door, but that was my fault- I turned left without having
looked behind me, assuming the road was without cars. Once cyclists
start trying to run into your car, all bets are off.