Erectile dysfunction is common with long distance cycling

Old October 8th 04, 05:48 AM
Peter McCallum

Default Erectile dysfunction is common with long distance cycling

British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 8th 04, 06:44 AM
ritcho

Peter McCallum Wrote:
British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

The height of the handlebars is my first guess as a risk factor - les
weight on the legs and arms = more weight and pressure on the seat
Obviously this is limited by the flexibility of the rider, but 320k
sitting upright (!?!?).

Ritch.

PS. Interestingly - no recumbent riders in the test..

--
ritcho

Old October 8th 04, 07:30 AM
DaveB

ritcho wrote:
Peter McCallum Wrote:

British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

The height of the handlebars is my first guess as a risk factor - less
weight on the legs and arms = more weight and pressure on the seat.
Obviously this is limited by the flexibility of the rider, but 320km
sitting upright (!?!?).

Ritch.

PS. Interestingly - no recumbent riders in the test...

I reckon I'd have a bit of disfunction after 320km - something to do
with being dead or in hospital. I would have thought even elite athletes
might be a little less amorous after that.

DaveB

Old October 8th 04, 07:43 AM
Terry Collins

Peter McCallum wrote:

British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

ROFL.
It was the Bristish that said having a bicycle allows you to put it
about more. Now they are saying that it stops you doing it.

Has anyone seen these "saddles" they are talking about?
Does anyone know if the rides were analysed seperately?
Does anyone know which rides they are talking about?
Old October 8th 04, 10:00 AM
Peter McCallum

DaveB wrote:

ritcho wrote:

I reckon I'd have a bit of disfunction after 320km - something to do
with being dead or in hospital. I would have thought even elite athletes
might be a little less amorous after that.

DaveB

The article doesn't say the rides were all done in one hit. They may
have been multi-day events like the Cycle Queensland. They do say
"bicycle rides of AT LEAST 320 km" (emphasis added) so I imagine that
they'd be over several days.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 8th 04, 10:05 AM
Peter McCallum

Terry Collins wrote:
ROFL.
It was the Bristish that said having a bicycle allows you to put it
about more. Now they are saying that it stops you doing it.

Has anyone seen these "saddles" they are talking about?

I think they mean ones like this:
http://www.branfordbike.com/saddles/saddle2.html

but definitely not this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Old October 8th 04, 11:59 AM
jazmo

Peter McCallum Wrote:
British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Well that's just great. I'm doing Around the Bay in a Day next weeken
on my mountain bike

--
jazmo

Old October 8th 04, 12:18 PM
ProfTournesol

jazmo Wrote:
Well that's just great. I'm doing Around the Bay in a Day next weekend
on my mountain bike.

you'd better enjoy yourself (and/or someone else) between now and then
then:-)

--
ProfTournesol

Old October 8th 04, 02:24 PM
Terry Collins

jazmo wrote:

Well that's just great. I'm doing Around the Bay in a Day next weekend
on my mountain bike.

Isn't it less then 320kms?
No problem then. {:-)

Seriously, if someone rides a road bike, is there more chance that they
know/have been taught how to ride and have the bicycle set up better?
MTB's are not usually set up for most efficent road[1] riding position
and are usually purchased by the "least bicycle knowledged" persons.
Old October 9th 04, 08:36 AM
hippy

"jazmo"

Peter McCallum Wrote:
British Medical Journal has some interesting info on cycling and
erectile dysfunction. Basically the incidence is increased by use of a
mountain bike compared with a road bike. Surprisingly cut out saddles
increased incidence but this needs further investigation.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...29/7470/0-f?ct

Well that's just great. I'm doing Around the Bay in a Day next weekend
on my mountain bike.

Do you really think you're gonna feel like a shag
after ATB? If so, you're a better man than I!! ;-)

hippy