Beads

Old May 5th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Default Beads

Hi,

I hear an annoying sound while cycling on roads that are not 100% flat. It's
caused by the "beads" that are located on the rear brake cable underneath
the top tube. I tried several models and used a sticker to dampen the
noise, but it just goes on and on.

Does anyone have a solution and/or know if there are softer beads and/or how
can make I some out of a softer material?

Derk

Old May 5th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 4, 11:49*pm, Derk wrote:
Hi,

I hear an annoying sound while cycling on roads that are not 100% flat. It's
caused by the "beads" that are located on the rear brake cable underneath
the top tube. I tried several models and used a sticker to dampen the
noise, but it just goes on and on.

Does anyone have a solution and/or know if there are softer beads and/or how
can make I some out of a softer material?

Derk

Softer donuts are in your package along with the truing stand.
Old May 5th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

Softer donuts are in your package along with the truing stand.

Thank you, Peter. I didn't remember if I asked you to send me some.
I used 2 kinds now (clear round ones and 5 sided black ones).
I already prepared myself for some unorthodox solution, because the sound is
driving me mad: lot's of uneven paved/cobble stone roads here.

Derk
Old May 5th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Derk wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

Softer donuts are in your package along with the truing stand.

Thank you, Peter. I didn't remember if I asked you to send me some.
I used 2 kinds now (clear round ones and 5 sided black ones).
I already prepared myself for some unorthodox solution, because the sound is
driving me mad: lot's of uneven paved/cobble stone roads here.

Derk

Why use donuts in the first place? On my road bikes there is room enough
between the cable and tube to allow some rattling without the cable
hitting the frame. Donuts only bring the cable closer to the frame.

Lou
Old May 5th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Lou Holtman wrote:

Why use donuts in the first place?

Ask any policeman why! Seriously, I keep my bike in the house and take it
downstairs when I go riding. To do this, I hold the top tube and using the
donuts, the brake cable doesn't scratch the top tube.

Donuts only bring the cable closer to the frame.

Yep, But they also avoid making scratches.......

However, if all donuts cause this sound, I'll take them off the rear brake
inner cable, since it's a horrible sound.

Derk

Old May 5th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Lou Holtman wrote:

Why use donuts in the first place?

I keep my bike in the house and take it downstairs when I go riding.
To do this, I hold the top tube and thanks to the donuts, the brake cable
doesn't scratch the top tube.

Old May 5th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Derk wrote:

Hi,

I hear an annoying sound while cycling on roads that are not 100% flat. It's
caused by the "beads" that are located on the rear brake cable underneath
the top tube. I tried several models and used a sticker to dampen the
noise, but it just goes on and on.

Does anyone have a solution and/or know if there are softer beads and/or how
can make I some out of a softer material?

I do not use beads, and get no sound from the
brake cable under the top tube.

--
Michael Press
Old May 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 5, 8:50 am, Lou Holtman wrote:

Why use donuts in the first place? On my road bikes there is room enough
between the cable and tube to allow some rattling without the cable
hitting the frame. Donuts only bring the cable closer to the frame.

This is very dependent on the frame. I have
a frame with cable stops cast into the head and
seat lugs, so there is an exposed rear brake cable
running the entire length of the top tube, fixed
at the ends like a guitar string. On rough
surfaces it rings like a bell, there also
being no braze-ons to deaden the resonance of
the tube.

(It needs donuts, but I need to get some and then
undo the brake cable, and it's no surprise that
I haven't managed to do both of those tasks in the
last five years.)

Ben
Old May 5th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Derk wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:

Why use donuts in the first place?

I keep my bike in the house and take it downstairs when I go riding.
To do this, I hold the top tube and thanks to the donuts, the brake cable
doesn't scratch the top tube.

Get another house with no stairs. You can wheel your bike in ;-)

Donuts only bring the cable closer to the frame.

Yep, But they also avoid making scratches.......

Get a brushed titanium frame ;-)

However, if all donuts cause this sound, I'll take them off the rear brake
inner cable, since it's a horrible sound.

Yes they all do IME and they make scratches too...sand on the top tube
and rattling donuts.

Lou
Old May 5th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Lou Holtman wrote:

Get another house with no stairs. You can wheel your bike in ;-)

I'm perfectly happy where I live: close to the only climbs in the East of
Holland :-)

Get a brushed titanium frame ;-)

It *IS* a titanium frame!

Yes they all do IME and they make scratches too...sand on the top tube
and rattling donuts.

What is IME?

I'll try the ones Peter sent me first. If they make the same sound, I'll
have to make a few out of polystyrene or so and paint them black. Most
probably the "weight weenies" will have those ;-)

What a day: I spent half of my afternoon trying to get the drive side part
of a 7700 BB out of my titanium Colnago frame, just to put a fresh layer of
anti-seize on it. That's the last time I'll ever use a 7700 bottom bracket.
This one goes into the garbage if I ever succeed in removing it. The left
side was out in a second, the right side seems to be welded.

Derk

Broken beads on Tires novice[_2_] General 3 August 17th 07 04:00 PM
Broken Tire Beads novice[_2_] Techniques 3 August 16th 07 12:36 AM
Veloflex Beads daniel Techniques 20 March 30th 07 08:30 AM
Wire vs. kevlar beads Dave Stallard Techniques 21 October 25th 04 06:54 AM