27" tires at Walmart any good?

Old May 5th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Default 27" tires at Walmart any good?

writes:

She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!

One possibility is that the rim is 635 mm ERD (one of the sizes also
known as 28") rather than 630 mm (27") and the old tyre was the wrong
size, especially if removing it took considerable effort as well.
Fairly easy to measure and know for sure...
Old May 5th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 5, 2:00 pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
landotter wrote:

The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--

She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!

could it be so cheap that its size is not true 27"??

She took everything back to Walmart and got her money
back.... and is going to local bike shop to buy tires
and tubes there

I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
are really NOT 27" true size!!

Highly unlikely.

Tire molds are expensive. Slipping a custom label into a mold is cheap,
which is why it is popular. So while various tires from the same mold
may bear different 'brands' they will be the same size.

I wasn't there, but your description seems more like a mounting problem
than a tire sizing issue. Look for double rim liners, wrong rim liner,
misplaced rim liner, tube not inflated to a round cross section before
mounting, trying to mount both sides at once, etc. The directions on or
in the tube box may be helpful as this section of our FAQ:http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.2.html

Lastly, try a mist of spray wax on the rim before mounting. It not only
helps to get a tight tire on a rim, it greatly assists in getting the
tire bead evenly positioned.
--

Firstly, return the tire. Heh. Problem with most of the *mart 27"
tires is that they're THICK gumwall, so that they spring apart on the

To add insult to injury--once you get those damn things mounted,
they'll ride and corner miserably. Blech.

Old May 5th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank wrote:

I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
are really NOT 27" true size!!

Maybe they're calling 700c stuff (622mm BSD) 27"?

True 27" is 630mm BSD.

Hmm...could be altho it does say 27 x 1.25" on the
Walmart box

Something is fishy thou as it broke my tire tool trying
to put it on the rim. And yes the rims DO say 27 x
1.25" on them as well so its not the rim.

Old May 5th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A Muzi wrote:

Lastly, try a mist of spray wax on the rim before mounting. It not only
helps to get a tight tire on a rim, it greatly assists in getting the
tire bead evenly positioned.

You mean like Pledge or something?

if yes... great idea!
Old May 5th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:

Firstly, return the tire. Heh. Problem with most of the *mart 27"
tires is that they're THICK gumwall, so that they spring apart on the
rim making them near impossible to mount. I've picked a pair up for a
real junker at $5 a pop--but life's too short to spend an hour trying
to fit a tire to a rim. I hardly ever use tools to mount normal
quality tires, FWIW, just the heel of my hand or my thumbs.

To add insult to injury--once you get those damn things mounted,
they'll ride and corner miserably. Blech.

yep she took everything back to Wally world and got her
money back
Old May 5th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
You mean like Pledge or something?
if yes... great idea!

Car shops use soapy water on a brush. Pledge is less messy
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 5th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Hank wrote:

All the more reason to go with the Paselas - still made by National in
Japan. A better 27" tire you will not find.

I've got to report in. I just received a pair of Paselas from Nashbar
(thanks for the heads up landotter). I've used Paselas for years,
usually in the 28mm size. This time I decided to go fat for my fixed
gear as I typically ride it on the bike path around the Charles river
this time of year and the pavement is kind of crappy.

I got a pair of 35mm. They measure exactly 35mm, both on a skinny rim
(Open Pro) and a wider rim (CR-18). They mounted easily, and rolled
well. I pumped them up pretty hard (80-90). I may try running them a
little softer. Same nice tire that they've always been.