Workstand *not* made of cheese?

Old May 8th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBW

Default Workstand *not* made of cheese?

When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

JBW
Old May 8th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

JBW wrote:

When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?)

Les mecaniciens or les "mecano's"

Derk
Old May 8th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

JBW wrote:
I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

This maybe?

http://www.bicisupport.it/

Derk

Old May 8th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

JBW

Cyclus?

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old May 8th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBW

Derk said: http://www.bicisupport.it/

Marten pointed to the similar: "Cyclus"

If that's not it it's a pretty fair approximation. I remember drawers
for tools underneath, but I'm probably misremembering.

A UK site lists it at 400 quid. These days that's about US$40,000 (post-
Bush), so I guess I'll have to stay with the bungee cords hanging from
the rafters for a bit longer.

Thanks guys!

JBW
Old May 8th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

Photo shows sort of a modern lightweight version of the classic moped
work stand. Var seems nor to list them now:
http://www.vartools.com/fr/catalogue.php

but look for a 'moped service stand' rather than 'bicycle stand'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 8th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joel Mayes[_2_]

On 2008-05-08, JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

I've used a stand like this and they have the disadvantadge of not being
able to easily fit/remove one of the wheels when the bike is in the
stand. Great for stupidly light weight bikes though no worries about
clamping the tubes.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction
Old May 9th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

Old May 9th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW wrote:
[...]

Good idea!
I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
Old May 9th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-...TE-1964_W0QQit...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
--

It probably describes how you make the BB support out of a hollowed
block lined with worn out toe straps glued in place with tubular

Man, if I had room, I could bang one of these out in a couple hours.
I'd of course have to stain it with green and black IKEA water and
linseed varnish to give it that gloomy French feel, and let some
Galouise cigs burn to the nub on the edges to give it the right look.

Today I serviced cheese Josey UK 14 May 21st 07 08:23 PM
Are these any good or are they like Woolies bikes, made of cheese? spindrift UK 18 October 27th 06 01:18 PM
XT free hub bodies are cheese pauly Mountain Biking 31 October 25th 06 03:17 AM
Cheese Robin Hubert Techniques 1 June 7th 05 06:52 AM
Arrghh! cheese.. David Martin UK 16 December 15th 04 07:42 PM