vigilante bicyclist

Old July 24th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Cotton[_2_]

Default vigilante bicyclist

The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DC
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...un&byDate=true

Old July 24th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

Default vigilante bicyclist - actually concerned citizen

On Jul 24, 9:15*am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:
The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DChttp://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177433&title=he...

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police.

If you read more on the story it becomes apparent that Novak is an
accident waiting to happen.

Old July 24th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Cotton[_2_]

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 9:15 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:
The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington
DChttp://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177433&title=he...

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police.

If you read more on the story it becomes apparent that Novak is an
accident waiting to happen.

Jon Stewart word.
Wikipedia,
A vigilante is a person who ignores due process of law and enacts their own
form of justice in response to a perception of insufficient response by the
authorities. Several groups and individuals have been labeled as vigilantes
by various historians and media. Vigilantes have been central to several
creative fictional works and are often depicted as being heroes and
retaliatory against wrongdoers

Old July 24th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:15 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:

The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DChttp://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177433&title=he...

Thanks for pointing that out. I used to watch the Daily Show ..... daily
ô¿Ô¬ ...... but gave it up about 6 months ago.

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police.

I disagree. Being vigilant does not mean being violent. And stopping
Novak as he did (see below) was definitely taking the law into his own
hands - which is what a vigilante does.

[quote - cbsnews]
The bicyclist was David Bono, a partner at Harkins Cunningham, who was
on his usual bike commute to work at 1700 K St. N.W. when he witnessed
the accident.

As he traveled east on K Street, crossing 18th, Bono said a "black
Corvette convertible with top closed plowed into the guy. The guy is
sort of splayed onto the windshield.”

Bono said that the pedestrian, who was crossing the street on a "Walk"
signal and was in the crosswalk, rolled off the windshield and that
Novak then made a right into the service lane of K Street. “The car is
speeding away. What’s going through my mind is, you just can’t hit a
pedestrian and drive away,” Bono said.

He said he chased Novak half a block down K Street., finally caught up
with him and then put his bike in front of the car to block it and
called 911. Traffic immediately backed up, horns blared and commuters
finally went into reverse to allow Novak to pull over.

Bono said that throughout, Novak "keeps trying to get away. He keeps
trying to go.” He said he vaguely recognized the longtime political
reporter and columnist as a Washington celebrity but could not precisely
place him.

Finally, Bono said, Novak put his head out the window of his car and
motioned him over. Bono said he told him that you can't hit a pedestrian
and just drive away. He quoted Novak as responding: “I didn’t see him
there.”

A concierge at 1700 K Street said that she saw a bicyclist yelling and
walked outside to see what the commotion was about.

"This guy hit somebody and he won't stop so I'm going to stay here until
the police come," Aleta Petty quoted Bono as saying, as he stood in K
Street, blocking traffic.

Novak, 77, has earned a reputation around the capital as an aggressive
driver, easily identified in his convertible sports car.

[/quote]

If you read more on the story it becomes apparent that Novak is an
accident waiting to happen.

As John Stewart has always said, the man is a douche bag.

What really sucks is that all he got was $50 ticket for failing to yield
the right of way. It sounds more like a hit and run to me.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old July 25th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:
If you read more on the story it becomes apparent that Novak is an
accident waiting to happen.

Especially when he is behind the computer keyboard.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 25th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Jul 24, 6:43*pm, Chuck Anderson wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:15 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:

The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DChttp://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177433&title=he...

Thanks for pointing that out. I used to watch the Daily Show ..... daily
ô¿Ô¬ ...... but gave it up about 6 months ago.

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. *The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police.

I disagree. Being vigilant does not mean being violent. And stopping
Novak as he did (see below) was definitely taking the law into his own
hands - which is what a vigilante does.

Vigilante is not the same as vigilant. Bono (what a _great_ name for
a lawyer!) did not take the law into his own hands, he stopped the guy
and called the police.

[...]

It doesn't sound like a hit and run, it was a hit and run. Let's see
how this plays out. The injured party obviously has a helluva good
lawsuit on their hands, and the police are going to have a hard time
explaining how they ignored an eyewitness account saying Novak hit the
bicyclist who landed on Novak's hood. How could Novak possibly not
know he hit anyone? Was he drunk? Drugged up?

Old July 25th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 24, 9:15 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:

The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DChttp://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177433&title=he...

Thanks for pointing that out. I used to watch the Daily Show ..... daily
ô¿Ô¬ ...... but gave it up about 6 months ago.

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police.

I disagree. Being vigilant does not mean being violent. And stopping
Novak as he did (see below) was definitely taking the law into his own
hands - which is what a vigilante does.

Vigilante is not the same as vigilant.

It's the root. Check the etymology.

Bono (what a _great_ name for
a lawyer!) did not take the law into his own hands, he stopped the guy
and called the police.

What do you call the act of stopping him .... blocking his way? He had
no "right" to detain Novak. He quite apparently took the law into his
own hands.

--
*****************************

Old July 25th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

The Daily show reports on a vigilante bicyclist in Washington DC http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...77433&title=he...

Thanks for pointing that out. I used to watch the Daily Show ..... daily
ô¿Ô¬ ...... but gave it up about 6 months ago.

A vigilante is usually violent and takes the law into their own
hands. Â*The concerned citizen that chased and stopped Novak wasn't
violent and simply stopped Novak from leaving and summoned the police..

I disagree. Being vigilant does not mean being violent. And stopping
Novak as he did (see below) was definitely taking the law into his own
hands - which is what a vigilante does.

Vigilante is not the same as vigilant. Â*

It's the root. Â*Check the etymology.

I believe the one letter difference makes the root quite clear. Are
you saying there is no difference between the two words? Dictionaries
tend to disagree with you;

Merriam Webster
Vigilante
Main Entry: vig·i·lan·te
Pronunciation: \ˌvi-jə-ˈlan-tē\
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, watchman, guard, from vigilante vigilant, from
Latin vigilant-, vigilans
Date: 1856
: a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish
crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as
inadequate); broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice

compared with

Vigilant
Main Entry: vig·i·lant
Pronunciation: \ˈvi-jə-lənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English (Scots), from Latin vigilant-, vigilans,
from present participle of vigilare to keep watch, stay awake, from
vigil awake
Date: 15th century
: alertly watchful especially to avoid danger

Those are very different things.

Of course we are really having a legal discussion about the potential
implications with respect to Bono , and the best source for a legal
definition of the word vigilante would seem to be:
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/vigilante
"vigilante n. someone who takes the law into his/her own hands by
trying and/or punishing another person without any legal authority. In
the 1800s groups of vigilantes dispensed "frontier justice" by holding
trials of accused horse-thieves, rustlers and shooters, and then
promptly hanging the accused if "convicted." A mother who shoots the
alleged molester of her child is a vigilante."

Funnily enough, that is the general consensus of the word to most
people. It has become colored with meaning based on people's
political and gun control leanings. Hopefully we are above that.

Bono (what a _great_ name for
a lawyer!) did not take the law into his own hands, he stopped the guy
and called the police.

What do you call the act of stopping him .... blocking his way? Â*He had
no "right" to detain Novak. Â*He quite apparently took the law into his
own hands.

Umm, yes, he did. Bono witnessed a felony, and ordinary citizen's are
allowed to do considerably more than placing a bicycle in the way of
the criminal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...#United_States

I'm not familiar with the specifics of DC law, but it's probably safe
to say that the _lawyer_ that stopped Novak wasn't hanging his ass out
to get sued. It's unclear what Pro Bono would have done if Novak got
out of his car and attempted to walk/run away - maybe he would have
tackled him, maybe he would have let him go - we don't know, so it's
technically not even a citizen's arrest.

Please note that in my initial response to Bill's post I did mention
that a vigilante is _usually_ violent, and by that I meant abusive
whether through force or other intimidation/threat. Bono applied
nothing of the sort. Vigilante is an unfortunate term to apply to a
man who was just being an upstanding guy and actually took some effort
to try and do the right thing. He can do without the negative
connotations as he did nothing wrong.

Old July 27th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:11:59 -0600 in rec.bicycles.rides, Chuck
Anderson wrote:

What do you call the act of stopping him .... blocking his way? He had
no "right" to detain Novak. He quite apparently took the law into his
own hands.

It's called "citizen's arrest". It's perfectly legal for any
citizen to detain a criminal suspect until police arrive,
especially a citizen that saw the crime committed.

I hope that they throw the book at Novak. He should have his
license revoked. It would do him good to ride a bike to work.

Old July 27th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

Anderson wrote:
What do you call the act of stopping him .... blocking his way? *He had
no "right" to detain Novak. *He quite apparently took the law into his
own hands.

It's called "citizen's arrest". *It's perfectly legal for any
citizen to detain a criminal suspect until police arrive,
especially a citizen that saw the crime committed.

I hope that they throw the book at Novak. *He should have his
license revoked. *It would do him good to ride a bike to work.

Wow. That's a _great_ sentence for Novak! I believe he hit a rank
and file pedestrian, so maybe he should be required to walk to work
for a month. You should have been a judge.

OT - The Bicyclist Jim Flom Racing 0 August 10th 07 03:26 AM
Drunk bicyclist (o: Protagonist Rides 0 September 30th 06 02:12 PM
Tx MD shoots bicyclist mrbubl General 0 July 29th 06 01:38 AM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 January 31st 05 11:17 PM
When to honk at a bicyclist Claire Petersky General 229 November 4th 04 03:59 AM