Cell phone junkies are as bad as drunks!

Old August 3rd 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

Default Cell phone junkies are as bad as drunks!

On Jul 31, 5:50*pm, "Mark C." wrote:

And having an un-muzzled 2 year old screaming his/her head off in the
backseat is a distraction as well...probably in the 0.10 equivalent range!

Changing the radio station distracts you, so why not legislate and disable
that function if the car is in motion? Driving will always have
distractions. The world will never be a perfectly safe place to live. The
sooner people accept this and learn to live life anyway, the happier they'll
be.

If you would like to see such things made illegal, then start a
separate thread. This thread is focused on cellphone distractions.
Old August 3rd 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Z.

writes:

On Jul 31, 5:50Â*pm, "Mark C." wrote:

And having an un-muzzled 2 year old screaming his/her head off in the
backseat is a distraction as well...probably in the 0.10 equivalent range!

Changing the radio station distracts you, so why not legislate and disable
that function if the car is in motion? Driving will always have
distractions. The world will never be a perfectly safe place to live. The
sooner people accept this and learn to live life anyway, the happier they'll
be.

If you would like to see such things made illegal, then start a
separate thread. This thread is focused on cellphone distractions.

One of the differences between the two should be pointed out - the
length of time for each activity - you spend relatively little time
changing stations, and with preset buttons and a well-designed radio
(good ergonomics), you can change stations without taking your eyes
off the road. The time spent, however, is a tiny fraction of the
length of a typical phone call.

One might figure that driving like you are drunk for 1 second per hour
is less serious than doing the same thing for 20 minutes per hour: a
difference of a factor of 1200 in the total enhanced risk per hour.
Even if you change stations 6 times per hour, its still a factor of
200 (figuring on 1 second per station change).

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old August 3rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Mark C. wrote:
And having an un-muzzled 2 year old screaming his/her head off in the
backseat is a distraction as well...probably in the 0.10 equivalent range!...
I am all for banning carrying children in motor vehicles.
You're a curmudgeon.

And that ain't exactly your most endearing trait....

Hey, I love children. They are delicious.

Okay, Swifty.

Ya ogre, ya.

I prefer curmudgeon.

Go live with yourself.

What ever happened to children should be seen but not heard?

What is grossly unfair is that is it perfectly legal for landlords and
condominium boards to discriminate against cats but not children in the
state in which I live. Cats do not bother anyone, while children scream,
cry, throw stuff and otherwise disturb the peace (and often sleep) of
adults.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 3rd 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Leo Lichtman

"Peter Grange" (clip) If we both get in the car we talk to each other,
which must be
remarkably like talking on a mobile.(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, it's not. When you're talking to someone on the phone, that that person
is not aware of your driving situation. You are aware of that fact, so you
are more likely to continue talking when you ought to be swerving, braking
or weighing the options in front of you. Let's say, for example, the car in
front of you suddenly starts to decelerate. If you're talking to your wife,
she's probably pressing on the floorboards with her feet, while you are
pressing on the brake. You do not have to yank your mind back to the car,
because you are both already there. If she, instead, is on the phone with
you, there will be a momentary rearrangement in your thought processes which
could make a difference in your safety.

Old August 3rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:39:50 GMT,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

Additionally, the audio quality is significantly degraded over a mobile
phone as compared to face to face talking. It's astonishing how good the
brain is at extracting a signal from the noise[1], but it's also surprising
how much attention the brain has to divert to doing that and how little
attention the brain leaves for doing everything else.

Tim.

[1] of course, the brain is also renouned for detecting a signal in
random noise.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/
Old August 4th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Aug 1, 10:05*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
And having an un-muzzled 2 year old screaming his/her head off in the
backseat is a distraction as well...probably in the 0.10 equivalent range!...

I am all for banning carrying children in motor vehicles.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”

And I'm against breastfeeding babies while driving. Is that a problem
anywhere?
Old August 4th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by Trackerway
"I totally agree that a federal law should be passed banning cell
phone use while driving. And cops should be allowed to pull over
anyone they see talking on a cell phone, it shouldn't be one of those
'secondary offenses' where they have to have another reason (i.e.
speeding) to pull you over."

I totally agree that they should be prosecuted, but there's another
dimension to it: THE SOCIAL DIMENSION. Few in society would justify
the "drunks" (though at one point or another many of us do it), but
cell phones junkies are often seen as a sign of "status." Actually
they almost go hand in hand with the SUV, meaning "I have money to
burn, and I do whatever the **** I want."

So when we see it them as "junkies" and not "success stories," we may
perhaps start seeing a tidal change. Of course, then enforcement would
take care of the real hardcore junkies.