Any potential for damage to a bike by riding in front on the bus rack?

Old October 13th 05, 02:21 AM

Default Any potential for damage to a bike by riding in front on the bus rack?

Now that the rainy season has started (In Vancouver, British Columbia)
I wonder if I should continue to load my bicycle on the front carrier
of the transit bus. The bus route includes highway driving, at speeds
of about 100 kmh. Unfortunately there is a tunnel on the route that
does not allow bicycles, so the bus is a necessary.

Is there a risk of water getting into any place it would not normally
reach at bicycle speed (sealed bearings, for example)?

thanks, Todd

Old October 13th 05, 04:11 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:

It's never a bad idea to keep your bearings well-greased as you ride a
Vancouver winter

Which reminds me, it's about time to do all mine.
Maybe even the headset.

I might also finally get around to swapping which
brake lever controls which brake, so I can operate
the front brake with my right hand (while I signal
with my left.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 13th 05, 03:54 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote in message
oups.com...
Now that the rainy season has started (In Vancouver, British Columbia)
I wonder if I should continue to load my bicycle on the front carrier
of the transit bus. The bus route includes highway driving, at speeds
of about 100 kmh. Unfortunately there is a tunnel on the route that
does not allow bicycles, so the bus is a necessary.

Is there a risk of water getting into any place it would not normally
reach at bicycle speed (sealed bearings, for example)?

I have had a periodic multimodal commute now for about 5 years in a similar
climate (Seattle). During the winter in particular, I often go just part of
the 16 miles in to work and have the bus system help out for the rest.
That's especially true on the freeway section, where I'd be pedalling at ~15
mph and the bus would be going ~60. It's even truer specifically on the Lake
Washington floating bridge section, where there can be heavy crosswinds, and
rainwater-y muck can get blown up off of the adjacent roadway and onto
cyclists. Since my employer provides a free bus pass, the temptation to sit
on the nice, warm (if overly heated sometimes) bus for that section can be
quite strong.

Be sure to have your trunk, pannier, or similar shut tight. Rain water is
much more likely to seep in when your bike's on the rack going 60. Only
other consideration I'd float out there is if you have a fork-mounted light
for the winter, be sure to put it on the side that doesn't have the "arm"
that comes up and over and holds the front wheel in place. I personally
would like to get a hold of the idiots at Sound Transit that put 2/3s of
their racks with the arm on a different side than Metro Transit. Feh.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old October 15th 05, 03:55 AM
Carl E. Moore

I was cleaning my Townie when I found an area where the flat black was
rubbed off. Upon further inspection I saw that something had dug into the
metal of the front brake arm. The next morning I was loading my bike on the
bus rack and noticed the arm that comes up over the front wheel was digging
into the brake arm as the bike rocked back and forth in the rack. I got two
flat bungie cords and the next day locked it in as tight as I could, but I
am going to need to make a rubber cub of some sort to fit over that arm if I
keep bussing it with the bike.

Carl E. Moore
aim: rfpcm | yahoo: carlmoore | msn: cemoore1 | icq: 60902071

oups.com...

Old October 17th 05, 12:49 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:55:44 -0400, "Carl E. Moore"
wrote:

am going to need to make a rubber cub of some sort to fit over that arm if I
keep bussing it with the bike.

Inner tube bits plus cable tie.

Jasper
Old October 17th 05, 01:22 AM
Tom Keats

wrote:

am going to need to make a rubber cub of some sort to fit over that arm if I
keep bussing it with the bike.

Inner tube bits plus cable tie.

I just finished rigging up some toeclip covers that way.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 03:10 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM