1/2 Interesting take on business & cycling

Old July 16th 03, 09:59 AM
PC

Default 1/2 Interesting take on business & cycling

On 16 Jul 2003 05:20:12 GMT, (NickZX6R)
wrote:

Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
bike..

This sounds suspiciously like someone who hasn't actually commuted
on a road bike. I've been commuting and riding my road bike first for a couple
of years from Nth Melb and for the last 3 years from Carlton all over the
place, including the terrible Yarra trail.

I think you're underestimating the strength of road bikes. My bike hasn't
been ruined at all, and it's certainly not flimsy. In fact, I'm surprised
at the amount of kerb hopping it takes without ill effects.

Maybe if I was 6 inches shorter and 50kg lighter I might agreer..
(I'm 6'5", 140kg), and I power through said laneways and dish gutters
at 25-30km/h.. I would ruin a road bike in no time, and that's
assuming I can actually get my arms that far back and my back hunched
that low..

PC

Old July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Malvern_star

Jose Rizal wrote:
David Sutton:
Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with.

Therein lies part of the problem -- cyclists who view riding as a
competitive activity. Cycling is not a sport, it's a way of life. It's
transport, freedom, exercise in the open air... waaaay more than many
any narrow definition of a "sport".

Cycling is *also* a sport. It can be a hobby. It can be many things to
many people, as it should be. To promote it as only one thing can only
serve to put off some who may not be inclined to "measure up" to any
self-imposed boundaries of any one definition. Why not let people decide
for themselves what they want their cycling to be?

Hit nail on the head!

Old July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Malvern_star

Megan Webb wrote:
Actually Townsville is to hot! Think its too cold - check out these
people: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/http://...n.com/icebike/

They look so warm and comfortable

Townsville's beautiful - it's not hot - what are you goin on about?!?
I used to work for a shopfitting/building firm in Townsville. Once we
were building gables , eaves and signboards on a shopping centre roof.
We stopped for smoko - it would have been about 9.00 am. When we resumed
work about 15-20 minutes later the sun had melted the insides of two
makita drills - now that's hot!

Old July 17th 03, 09:42 AM
Trevor S

Malvern_star wrote in news:3f15293a$2_4
@news.chariot.net.au:

Snip

Townsville's beautiful - it's not hot - what are you goin on about?!?

I can tell ya in summer after a ride the hills in Douglas (near the Uni),
straight into the river for a swim and only ride early in the morning,
so not to bad

Paluma area is good in summer, about 5 degrees cooler

Sweet now though... low 20's ...

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein