windbreaks for bikes?

Old December 10th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default windbreaks for bikes?

Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old December 10th 17, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/10/2017 12:10 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....

Yes, those have been commercially available for decades. See
http://www.zzipper.com/

I tried one for a few years for my winter commutes, long ago. I think it
did keep me warmer, and I think it made me a little faster.

But it was noisy, giving a rumbling sound over any bumps in the road
(and we have many). It made the bike a little less portable for carrying
up and down stairs, when I worried about damaging it. The mounting
brackets were sort of flat, wide aluminum hooks that velcroed onto the
brake lever hoods, and they were a bit uncomfortable for me.

In my experience, the benefits weren't great and the detriments weren't
great, but I stopped using it because I didn't think the benefits were
worth the slight hassle.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 10th 17, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:48:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
[...]

Get a Dutch velomobile.

I'm only a little facetious about that. A friend recently got one and
has been delighted with it. It's fast, comfortable and especially the
latter on rainy or cold days. The downside is they are very expensive
and practically take as much room as a small car to store.
Old December 10th 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?q=rei+...obile&ie=UTF-8

The pictured fairings are oversized n noisy as said: geometry

Fairings only on the bars
Old December 10th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/10/2017 11:10 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....

http://www.barmitts.com/
we sell these

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 10th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ski mitts may not be long distance friendly ....'like' 100 sneakers

Pogies on kayak paddle shafts are standard cold weather gear

I have a complete line of clothing for Alaska bring part to Daytona for the 24 hours. Warm at noon, sun sets behind the stands. The warm to cold was a surprise for many. DUH was in the forecast.

After I had pulled out a hoodie 300PM, a nylon wind breaker4PM, specs evacing,

I went into the pack for a new pair of ski gloves ..

causing the loudspeaker to erupt in pain: HE'S GOT SKI GLOVES !

I was told the area was scoured for brown cotton gloves leaving 0000 of anything of cold weather value

Old December 11th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

http://www.barmitts.com/ we sell these

They look a bit bulky and claustrophobic but
I suppose they are good when you can only have
a light glove because you must fiddle with
shifters (and brakes?).

The other ones suggested, at
http://www.zzipper.com is a bit overkill.
Not the entire "cockpit" area has to be
covered, rather something like a 1.5 l PET
bottle cut in half, and placed where the
hands are on the handlebar.

In general, I guess the best benefit from this
would be either riding in/over snow, or very
fast, and at both ventures, shifting is
essential...

But one could easily think of my scenario as
well, moderate speed, winter in the city (but
not snow on the roads)...

Old December 11th 17, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 9:41:58 AM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.barmitts.com/ we sell these

They look a bit bulky and claustrophobic but
I suppose they are good when you can only have
a light glove because you must fiddle with
shifters (and brakes?).

The other ones suggested, at
http://www.zzipper.com is a bit overkill.
Not the entire "cockpit" area has to be
covered, rather something like a 1.5 l PET
bottle cut in half, and placed where the
hands are on the handlebar.

In general, I guess the best benefit from this
would be either riding in/over snow, or very
fast, and at both ventures, shifting is
essential...

But one could easily think of my scenario as
well, moderate speed, winter in the city (but
not snow on the roads)...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Bar-mitts are designed to fit over the brake lever AND the shifter. They are very useful and they block the wind which means the mitts/gloves one wears don't have to be so thick as they do if you don't use bar-mitts.

Cheers

Old December 12th 17, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 11/12/17 17:40, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

Bar-mitts are designed to fit over the brake lever AND the shifter.
They are very useful and they block the wind which means the
mitts/gloves one wears don't have to be so thick as they do if you
don't use bar-mitts.

I ride with HotPogs[1] over the winter and they are good down to about
-5 then thin gloves are needed, I suspect because brake levers/bars
become too cold. Wind proof yes, water proof as well. They also keep
the rain off the legs a bit, an unexpected benefit. The big point
though is simply accessing keys/work passes/crossings without the need
to remove gloves.

[1] https://www.hotpog.co.uk/adventurer-...in-bike-pogies