29er "pedals easier"

Old July 16th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default 29er "pedals easier"

Doug Cimperman wrote:

29" is 622mm, the same as a 700c. 29" is just
made to mount fat tires.

The difference between 584mm/650b and 27.5"
is that the 27.5 frames are made to mount
wider tires,,, I think up to 3" wide?
Plus still have decent mud clearance on both
sides (1/2" or so).

Yeah, that's what I thought. Still, the move
from 584/650B to 622/700C for MTBs is very
sensible IMO. Even the girls are starting to
grow really tall these days!

So what is 27+ then, is that just another name
for 27.5"?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 16th 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 2018-07-16 19:25, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

No, bigger wheels do not necessarily mean more ground clearance.
That's a function of frame design.

Bigger wheels are much better. Try a 630 bike after your 622 and feel
the difference. Or likewise try a 584 after the 622 and feel it
getting even worse.

Again, how big exactly are the 29 wheels? I ask because in the MTB
bike world aren't both 26 and 27.5 actually 584 or 650B?

It's people like you that love to stir up trouble. In ye olden days
you'd have simply been burnt at the stake :-)
Old July 17th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:43:12 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Very, very good! Thanks for all your thoughtful opinions. I will tell my friend that his 29er pedals easier because he must be riding over zombies but just doesn't realize it!

In this new intersectional world, it would be politically very incorrect, not to mention deeply insensitive, to deny that zombies, especially dead ones, can be exceedingly uplifting.

Andre Jute
Politically correct and sensitive
Old July 17th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/16/2018 2:17 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sms wrote:

My MTB is still the same 26" rim brake
wheels that its had since new in 2000. If it
can't roll over the bumps and rocks and ruts
and slop I want to roll over, then its the
rider, and not the tire diameter that's
the problem.

While a 29er does not "pedal easier" a larger
wheel clears ruts, rocks, etc., easier.
It also adds more ground clearance.
That's why there was a move to larger wheels
on mountain bikes.

How big is a "29er"?

I think bikes in general should have bigger
wheels. Why not drop the 622 standard (700C)
and go back to 630? Only it can/should be wider
than the 32 of the 27x1-1/4 old road
bike standard.

Or even to 635 but with modern rims, of course.

I'm pretty sure you can buy adult bicycles with wheel+tire diameters all
the way from 17" to 29".

Oops. Make that 36". https://dirtysixer.com/

Take your choice!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 17th 18, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

How big is a "29er"?

I think bikes in general should have bigger
wheels. Why not drop the 622 standard (700C)
and go back to 630? Only it can/should be
wider than the 32 of the 27x1-1/4 old road
bike standard.

Or even to 635 but with modern rims,
of course.

I'm pretty sure you can buy adult bicycles
with wheel+tire diameters all the way from
17" to 29".

Oops. Make that 36". https://dirtysixer.com/

Take your choice!

OK, then I'd like a Fuji Touring bike or
equivalent model but with 630 or 635
wheels/tires instead of the 700C's 622.

Old July 17th 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 3:33:31 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

How big is a "29er"?

I think bikes in general should have bigger
wheels. Why not drop the 622 standard (700C)
and go back to 630? Only it can/should be
wider than the 32 of the 27x1-1/4 old road
bike standard.

Or even to 635 but with modern rims,
of course.

I'm pretty sure you can buy adult bicycles
with wheel+tire diameters all the way from
17" to 29".

Oops. Make that 36". https://dirtysixer.com/

Take your choice!

OK, then I'd like a Fuji Touring bike or
equivalent model but with 630 or 635
wheels/tires instead of the 700C's 622.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Those are not hard to find in the U.S. In fact, last winter I helped get one
belonging to a friend back on the road after decades in his garage.

Sadly, he decided he still preferred to ride his mountain bike on the road!

But there are a LOT of 630 (or 27") garage queens around here. Some are
quite nice bikes. They're left over from the 1970s and 80s.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 17th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

But there are a LOT of 630 (or 27") garage
queens around here. Some are quite nice
bikes. They're left over from the 1970s
and 80s.

I have one from the early-mid 80s, which was
the eye-opener for me how much cooler it is
with 630 tires than 622.

But I meant bikes manufactured *today*.

Old July 17th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-16 09:25, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2018 11:11 AM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 7/15/2018 10:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
"Bug Out Bike - Apocalypse Bicycle"
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bug-Out-Bike-Apocalypse-Bicycle/

I like the paint job. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any
advice
suggesting that a 29" wheel was in any way superior to
smaller wheels
for attacking or rolling over zombies. I suspect that the
added
weight of the survivalist junk might ruin any benefits
gained by a few
mm larger diameter tire. According to the movies, dead
zombies will
bleed profusely, which will be too slippery to traverse on
slick
tires. Instead, I recommend tires with some tread.

Or, just build your own 29" zombie crusher from plans:
http://www.atomiczombie.com

I don't really think the idea of a "disaster bicycle" is
really all that good of an idea--but even ignoring
that--running 29" tires would be dumb, since 26" is way more
common.

29" tires are very easy to obtain by now. There is a nice selection of
low cost Asian tires that hold up very well on rocky trails.

I changed my mind about that. 26" seemed to me, a medium sized Italian
guy, about right for offroad/technical riding; lower to the ground,
effectively smaller gearing, shorter top tube and all that. My opinion
changed once I saw a full sized (muscular 6'5") rider on a his new
700-54 Gunnar. That said, women just over five feet who ride in with
whatever new chinese 29-inch thing the local outlet store foisted on her
looks bizarre to me if not dorky.

I am 6'2" and don't feel right on a 26" MTB which I rode before. 29"
large frame but with the stem shortened to 80mm feels perfect. On
pavement it doesn't matter much but on some trails it does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/