our unicycle website

Old May 22nd 05, 01:29 PM
amanda.gallacher

Default our unicycle website

mine and matts unicycle website is http://www.maxpages.com/unicycle.
Tell us what you think of it and also tell us what you think we need to
add or take away. Make sure you have the volume up on your computer and
don't forget to do our poll and sign the guestbook.
hope you like it.

--
amanda.gallacher - skilled
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

Old May 22nd 05, 02:24 PM
leeman180

The page you are attempting to access is not available on this
server.

its not working

--
leeman180 - i should be out riding

'My Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Lees-Uni-Stuff) - last
updated 5/20/05
leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441

Old May 22nd 05, 02:33 PM
phil

Take off the period at the end of the link:
http://www.maxpages.com/unicycle

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old May 22nd 05, 03:01 PM
lilfunky1

amanda.gallacher wrote:
*Tell us what you think of it and also tell us what you think we need
to add or take away.
*

It's a good start, but please *PLEASE* take off that music clip. Like i
said in a previous "check out my website!" it's annoying, it repeats,
it's unnecessary and it screws up my (and i'm sure others) computers.

I'm all about minimalism for websites. If you don't need it, don't add
it. And 10 second clips of music is never needed

--
lilfunky1 - Trials Wannabe

"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down! This should be every boy's
dream!"
~Bart Simpson

~lilfunky1
lilfunky1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7361

Old May 22nd 05, 04:16 PM
Danny Colyer

lilfunky1 wrote:
It's a good start, but please *PLEASE* take off that music clip. Like i
said in a previous "check out my website!" it's annoying, it repeats,
it's unnecessary and it screws up my (and i'm sure others) computers.

It really is irritating. Lose the pop-up Java message too.

I'm all about minimalism for websites. If you don't need it, don't add
it. And 10 second clips of music is never needed

Quite right. Sometimes it's tempting to do something just because you
can, but it's not always a good idea.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old May 22nd 05, 05:00 PM
amanda.gallacher

thanks for the replies. i will take the music off later. any more
suggestions?

Old May 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
amanda.gallacher

i have got rid of the music but now i think it seems boring. does anyone
else think this?

Old May 22nd 05, 05:21 PM
harper

Any unicycling photos? I couldn't find any.

--
harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
Gladiators"

Old May 22nd 05, 05:36 PM
ColDawG

lol
the blue font on the blue buttons doesn't quite work
other than that it's fine
pics would be nice :-D

--
ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

Looking for MUni buddies!
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

Old May 22nd 05, 06:05 PM
johnfoss

amanda.gallacher wrote:
*i have got rid of the music but now i think it seems boring. does
anyone else think this? *

I never met a web site with a sound track that I liked. Thanks for
taking off the music.

1. On load, my browser tells me your site wants to open a pop-up window.
I allowed this, but never saw the window. What kind of cookies, adware,
or other stuff did your site try to sneak onto my computer, or did I
miss your pop-up window? NOTE: Windows XP service pack 2 turns off
JavaScript pop-up windows. That's a feature that should be avoided for
web sites from now on. Instead you can open a *new* window, as with a
hyperlink with a target="_blank" in it.

2. Then your site popped an alert box saying "Unicycling rules". I
clicked the OK button (no choice), but never saw any links or
information about unicycling rules (see my links at the bottom of the
thread).
Don't use alert boxes unless there's a reason for them.

3. Your navigation buttons don't have any text on them, except for the
page you're currently on. Are you using blue-on-blue? Your Home button
in the middle of the page has a styled area much wider than the button
graphic, with "Home" running outside the left edge. I'm viewing this in
Firefox on Mac OS 10.3.

4. Your page starts out like so many other unicycling sites, with "Hey,
this is website all about unicycling." But then I couldn't find any
information about unicycling except references to SWUM and BUC. How am I
supposed to know what those stand for? I know BUC, but not SWUM and I'm
a hardcore unicycle person.

5. Remember your site is part of the *worldwide* web. If it is aimed at
a local audience, you should tell this up front, starting with the area
it is local to. All I could tell by your content is that you're probably
in England.

6. After a while, I noticed you indeed did have readable navigation at
the top of your page. Yaay! So there was some nice unicycling info.

7. Your "best unicyclist" survey didn't contain any world champions
(some former ones). What if we like someone else? Or, more
interestingly, what if you linked each name to a paragraph that tells
who they are? I think your visitors don't know half those people.

8. Keep adding and developing! Remember to use as examples sites you
think are good, or readable, or professional-looking. Unless you want
something other than that...

DISCLAIMER: Please don't use my web site as an example. It is many years
out of date! I'm currently working on the photo albums section, but the
look & feel upgrade is still somewhere in the future....

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'