Need advice on bottom bracket repair

Old January 11th 17, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

Doug Landau writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:36:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 1:18:28 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/10/2017 2:24 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:51:53 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:

Yes, another "yikes!" on this. Getting beyond my skill/comfort
level...

Ted, these people have been inundating you with all of these
things that they've never actually done themselves. So they are
advice and not instructions. Andrew Muzi is the only
professional.

Usually the reason that a bottom bracket cup with not pull out
is because there was something in the threads when it was
inserted. Or they used the incorrect kind of Loctite.

Since your bike is polished aluminum I assume you've been
careful with it and not left it out in the weather.

If you carefully work the adjustable cup back and forth and it
doesn't gradually start turning out take it to a COMPETENT bike
shop. Even if you force it out eventually there's the chance
that you can damage the frame's finish. A good shop will have
shop quality tools that made this a whole lot less likely.

As I said before, in one case I removed the BB from the fixed
side and then sawed the adjustable cup down ALMOST to the
threads and then the cup would distort enough to allow it to
come out. But that was an awful job and I certainly wouldn't
recommend it. In another case the incorrect loctite was used in
a bottom bracket on a carbon frame and it was twisted so hard
that the liner broke loose from the frame and spun in the bottom
impossible to remove. I'm still deciding to take that frame down
to Santa Cruz so that the carbon people would forcibly remove
the entire liner and repair it back to normal. I NEVER use
loctite that hasn't been applied to a new bottom bracket by the
manufacturer.

There is no need in English bottom brackets anyway. And the new
sealed units do not walk out anyway. But tandems are a special
case and I don't think you can get a sealed BB for them. The
spindle length on a tandem is peculiar to the specific bike.

In fact there are not only tandem cartridge BB units in both
spline and square, those have been oem standard for 30 years.

p.s. Mr Slocumb's experience with airplanes and other
equipment makes him very qualified to comment about
mechanical service processes.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Joshua Slocumb? I didn't realize he flew too.

Bernard_Moitessier Joshua Slocumb

https://www.google.com/search?q=bern...sJ NefNk-M%3A

I always figured John B. chose his nom de plume after the sloop.

Old January 11th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 1/10/2017 2:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Naa, that would be a lie, and he doesn't lie. (the occasional bluff excepted, of course

Old January 11th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 5:17:33 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:59:56 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 12:59:14 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:56:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Ted, I don't quite follow. You are talking about using a
pin spanner and then say that you need to get the
adjustable cup off first. Isn't that what we were talking
about? The lock nut on the adjustable side and the fixed
cup do not use pin spanners as far as I know.

Sorry. I have the lock ring off on the left, non-drive side,
and am left with an adjustable cup that will only turn
partway. The fixed cup is still in place too (on the other
side), so the spindle is in place and blocks putting in the
bolt and nut that Sheldon describes.

For what it's worth, the fixed cup also seems to be pretty
stuck. It's an aluminum frame, so presumably the shell is
aluminum too and there may be some corrosion in the interface
between the two different metals of the shell and the cups?

if you search on aluminum/steel frame/shells/cups install or
remove there should be an avalanche of umbrage.

if your system shows white material in joints then poss an
ionic binding occurred between steel and aluminum. Andy Muzi is
an expert on this.

Blaster does not dissolve the white material. Uneeda torch and
another pin tool.

expanding aluminum with torch or heat gun will remove the cup.

Okay, I will try heating too.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

try utube on heating with propane torch

small flame, cone above steel, wave flame around ext of where cup is located inside, go around around slowly at 90 degrees if poss, with all the other tools on hand.....have a vise ? place pin tool in vise n rotate frame...wuhwuhwuh....

heat the steel until the grease inside the BB smakes a bt...keep an eye on that...when smokes then slowly turn in one direction just a budge then back then forward again...you hope...then back repeating.

if the threads allow movement, then tighten up as the unit cools....stop n reheat this time after spraying with Blaster.

always use a torch....saves time n $$$ n aggravation.

If using locktite, highly rec...the torch crumbles locktite into a temp lubricant. perfecto !
Old January 11th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Duane" wrote in message
news
On 10/01/2017 4:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/10/2017 1:52 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:36:41 AM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 22:24:41 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

"Theodore Heise" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 17:01:01 -0800,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 16:31:15 -0800, Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
(...)

Yet another untested idea...

Use an induction heater on the steel cup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZEaPQinO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJElT9xK3bk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEZKrVNO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1IBgefNDs [1]
http://www.theinductor.com
You'll need various size coils for different bolts, cups, seat
posts,
etc. There are induction heater kits on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-ZVS-Low-Voltage-Induction-Heating-Board-Module-Flyback-Heater-Brass-Coil-/282317713643

The steel cup gets hot and not so much the rest of the bicycle,
including the aluminum bottom bracket which sucks away much of
the
heat. However, you can get the steel hot enough to melt the
aluminum,
so please use an IR thermometer to keep the temperatures down.
Aluminum melts at 660C.

Yikes!

Is there a problem?

An electric heat gun is safer than a blowtorch - but I think you
still
have
to be a bit careful.

The heavy duty paint strippers aren't too bad, but some heat guns are
designed for lighting solid fuel cooking ranges.

The problem with external heat generators is that the heat affected
zone is rather large and will surely creep into undesirable areas,

A bigger problem is heating too small an area and causing the metal to
distort.

I'm sure that you've distorted many bottom brackets with a hair dryer.

and those really big curlers under a plastic cap...

With a burnt down lucky strike hanging off your lower lip.

Do you speak from experience?

Only in Tom Waits tunes.

--
duane
Old January 11th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

sorry heat the aluminum ..

goo.gl/0nrzZP

then try chart for steel

or both in same chart....

the propane/map gas/ ..charts I saw listed propane as heating steel surface to abt 8-900 degrees..

propane isnot gonna melt aluminum.....try the videos for a headstart on this area.
Old January 11th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 1/10/2017 2:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

You mean they named the sloop after him? I don't think he's quite
*that* old.

Old January 11th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 1/10/2017 2:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

This was really good:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...age+for+madmen

Favorite quote: "There I was. Upside-down in the middle of the Atlantic, in the middle of the night, looking down at 15,000 feet of green water rushing in my boat."

Old January 11th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 1/10/2017 2:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hardly :-) The Bermuda sloop dates back to the 17th century.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 11th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:33:38 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

Sometimes a partially stuck (yours turns a bit) adjustable cup can be removed by:

Putting something firm like a large socket over the spindle so thatthe edges ofthe socket are against the cup and the spindle is not protruding beyond that socket. Then you give the socked a few good raps with a mallet. Often that'll break loose a lot of the corrosion in thethreads. If the cup still doesn't turn easily I'd put my pin spnaar in position and then add spacers until the spacers are just beyond the edge of the spindle and then put the bolt back into the spindle to hold the washers in place against the pin tool which in turn stops the pin tool from slipping. I can put a lot more pressure on the pin tool that way. Alternatively, after tapping the socket that you put over the spindle and agaist the adjustable cup you can lay the bike on its side with the adjustable cup up and put your favourite penetrating solution onto any threads that are outside the BB shell. the fluid then has a better chance of running into the threads inside the shell than it does if the bike is vertical.

Good luck and cheers

That makes a lot more sense than hitting your frame bottom bracket with a hammer. I have heard of your method working but I have never got it to work for me.

The idea is to get the socket against the adjustable cup.
Old January 11th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:28:53 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:57:02 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 12:23:50 PM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:43:16 AM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:55:19 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:I want to know why it works at least twice as good as the others on
:the list.

My experience is that it doesn't. That's just one of the reasons no
one puts it in a can and sells it commercially. I read the original
article, a long time ago, and as I recall the testing method was about
as scientfic as drawing lots.

Commercial penetrating oils are far superior.

Coca-cola?

Apparently it contains phosphoric acid - which is also an ingredient of
some
rust treatments.

The rust is chemically converted into iron phosphate - the end result
bears
some resemblance to the metal equivalent of polystyrene cement.

Where did you get the idea that Coca Cola contains any sort of phosphate?
Other than phosphate salts, most phosphate compounds are poisonous.

From the ingredients label.

Citric Acid
Caffeine
Sugar
Water
Vanilla
Caramel

Which one of those is "phosphate"?

What's *your* source? I read

http://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com...cts/coca-cola/

and saw:

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color,
phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.

The original allegation was that Coca Cola contains phosphoric
acid.

Buffered phosphoric acid, or "acid phosphate", was an ingredient in soda
fountain drinks for many years. Now you can buy it again:

http://prairiemoon.biz/Horsfords-Ext...oz_p_1427.html

Quaff in moderation, many claim that excessive phosphoric acid
consumption results in calcium loss from the skeleton.

--

A bottle of Coca Cola. I don't drink any softdrinks but always keep
that old bottle around to remind me why I don't. Maybe that's Mexican

Mexican Coca Cola uses cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup,
but it still contains phosphoric acid. Are you sure you don't have some
generic cola?
--

I never heard of a generic coke bottle.