A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Basso Loto

Old October 16th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

My Basso Loto was one of the final steel versions. It seemed to have a perfect ride. However, since I took it apart to refinish it I got the Lemond and between the ride of the Colnago CLX 3.0 and the ride of the Lemond Zurich made out of Reynolds 853 I will have to test it again. In any case it will be my spare rider.

Presently I have the frame and fork in the powder coaters and expect them to get around to it around the end of next week. I was not enthused about the original colors of the Loto - Yellow and Blue with a red highlight. So I'm having it a solid "transparent blue" which they had a sample of when I was there. A hot rodder was having his rims coated. I had been planning on Candy Apple Blue but they had a hot rodder's transmission there finished in that color and the "Transparent Blue" looked a little cleaner.

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like to coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy. They had a pickup truck there they were about to put in the oven while I was there. It would cook to a metallic yellow.

After I pick the frame and fork up I will have to get a set of Basso Loto decals, then coat the entire frame with clear. I learned from the last try on the Pinarello and will use many very light coats instead of a few heavy. And then have the bottom bracket threads cleaned and the Campy headset that was in it re-installed.

I just finished building a tubeless wheel up. The deep carbon wheels are remarkably difficult to build. Off and on it took me three days to get that thing properly centered and true when I could build an aluminum wheel in a couple of hours easy.
Ads
Old October 16th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On 10/16/2019 11:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
My Basso Loto was one of the final steel versions. It seemed to have a perfect ride. However, since I took it apart to refinish it I got the Lemond and between the ride of the Colnago CLX 3.0 and the ride of the Lemond Zurich made out of Reynolds 853 I will have to test it again. In any case it will be my spare rider.

Presently I have the frame and fork in the powder coaters and expect them to get around to it around the end of next week. I was not enthused about the original colors of the Loto - Yellow and Blue with a red highlight. So I'm having it a solid "transparent blue" which they had a sample of when I was there. A hot rodder was having his rims coated. I had been planning on Candy Apple Blue but they had a hot rodder's transmission there finished in that color and the "Transparent Blue" looked a little cleaner.

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like to coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy. They had a pickup truck there they were about to put in the oven while I was there. It would cook to a metallic yellow.

After I pick the frame and fork up I will have to get a set of Basso Loto decals, then coat the entire frame with clear. I learned from the last try on the Pinarello and will use many very light coats instead of a few heavy. And then have the bottom bracket threads cleaned and the Campy headset that was in it re-installed.

I just finished building a tubeless wheel up. The deep carbon wheels are remarkably difficult to build. Off and on it took me three days to get that thing properly centered and true when I could build an aluminum wheel in a couple of hours easy.

"many very light coats"

?
My DuPont AND my PPG clear directions both say 'two medium
wet coats, 15~20 minutes between coats'. What clear are you
shooting?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old October 16th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 11:37:20 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/16/2019 11:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

"many very light coats"

?
shooting?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Rustoleum which was recommended by the local car painter. It doesn't specify the number of coats but says that either respray after 20 minutes or after 48 hours. On the Pinarello when I tried two coats with 20 minutes between it grew wavy.
Old October 16th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 11:44:19 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like to coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy.

Yes. The wealthy who can afford to waste money on frivolous hot rodders are doing well under the Trump Republican plan to give all the tax revenues to the rich people who give them campaign contributions. While making the middle and lower income people much poorer by increasing debt by 1 trillion every year and then saying they have to cut all government assistant plans to help the non wealthy. And the poorer middle and lower income people cannot spend much money at stores so the stores close and reduce the number of shelves and do not need to refinish their shelves. Make the rich richer, and the poor poorer, the Trump Republican plan.
Old October 17th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 3:31:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 11:44:19 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like to coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy.

Yes. The wealthy who can afford to waste money on frivolous hot rodders are doing well under the Trump Republican plan to give all the tax revenues to the rich people who give them campaign contributions. While making the middle and lower income people much poorer by increasing debt by 1 trillion every year and then saying they have to cut all government assistant plans to help the non wealthy. And the poorer middle and lower income people cannot spend much money at stores so the stores close and reduce the number of shelves and do not need to refinish their shelves. Make the rich richer, and the poor poorer, the Trump Republican plan.

Yeah, those powder coaters are billionaires taking advantage of the poor. I wonder at what time you're going to see how sick you are?
Old October 18th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 3:11:12 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

"many very light coats"

?
shooting?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Rustoleum which was recommended by the local car painter.
It doesn't specify the number of coats but says that either respray
after 20 minutes or after 48 hours. On the Pinarello when I tried
two coats with 20 minutes between it grew wavy.

For once Sparky has something right. Many light coats with a few coats of clear is how custom painters get that 'Deep' look. I had my first racing bike refinished by a custom auto painter with a candy apple red. The first coat over the primer was so light it seemed link it only tinted the primer. I don't remember how many coats he ended up using, but the entire process took about a week.

Old October 29th 19, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 9:44:19 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

After I pick the frame and fork up I will have to get a set of Basso Loto decals, then coat the entire frame with clear. I learned from the last try on the Pinarello and will use many very light coats instead of a few heavy.. And then have the bottom bracket threads cleaned and the Campy headset that was in it re-installed.

It has been three weeks since the frame and fork were put into the powder coaters. This is the weakness of going to a powder coater. They do a very large amount of commercials work and the tiny amount of retail has to take second place. Talking to them a little while ago he promised it to me next week. I told him I understand that their big projects need full priority but they don't like to promise something and not deliver.

This will work out better anyway. I am still waiting on the decals and they would have to be installed and then 48 hours before I can clear coat them so they don't bubble up.
Old November 4th 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On 2019-10-16 09:44, Tom Kunich wrote:
My Basso Loto was one of the final steel versions. It seemed to have
a perfect ride. However, since I took it apart to refinish it I got
the Lemond and between the ride of the Colnago CLX 3.0 and the ride
of the Lemond Zurich made out of Reynolds 853 I will have to test it
again. In any case it will be my spare rider.

Presently I have the frame and fork in the powder coaters and expect
them to get around to it around the end of next week. I was not
enthused about the original colors of the Loto - Yellow and Blue with
a red highlight. So I'm having it a solid "transparent blue" which
they had a sample of when I was there. A hot rodder was having his
rims coated. I had been planning on Candy Apple Blue but they had a
hot rodder's transmission there finished in that color and the
"Transparent Blue" looked a little cleaner.

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like to
coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy. They had a
pickup truck there they were about to put in the oven while I was
there. It would cook to a metallic yellow.

After I pick the frame and fork up I will have to get a set of Basso
Loto decals, then coat the entire frame with clear. I learned from
the last try on the Pinarello and will use many very light coats
instead of a few heavy. And then have the bottom bracket threads
cleaned and the Campy headset that was in it re-installed.

I just finished building a tubeless wheel up. The deep carbon wheels
are remarkably difficult to build. Off and on it took me three days
to get that thing properly centered and true when I could build an
aluminum wheel in a couple of hours easy.

Wow, you are really going all out when it comes to your rides. I am the
exact opposite. Both my MTB and my road bike have lots of scrapes and
are generally caked in copious amounts of dried mud. Add in a few grease
streaks and some vegetation mashed deep into the works here and there.
My wife thinks the bikes look disgusting but then again this greatly
reduces the chance of them being stolen.

The money for the decals would in my case be invested in IPA, Imperial
Stout or something similar.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 4th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 1:35:51 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

--
Regards, Joerg

The Basso started in prime condition and I soon discovered that it was one of a very few number of Basso's make with a special Basso specific tubing that rode all hell and gone better than the Columbus versions. Like you I just rode the hell out of it until it was recondition of toss it away. I chose reconditioning. Plus the local good shop owner used to be a 7-11 Team mechanic and has every possible tool for frame alignment and re-threading. So what I can't do he can. I'm not ab out to pay several hundred bucks for a headset removal tool.
Old November 5th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto

On Monday, 4 November 2019 16:35:51 UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

--
Regards, Joerg

But vastly improves the chances of something breaking.

Cheers